PDA

View Full Version : Research Argument Essay

bowhunter
04-17-2017, 12:18
UPDATE: Came up with a solution. Still would like feedback on the topic. More specifically, in the area of opposition to my argument.

BLUF: I am looking for advice, given, the instructions below my post. How can I work some sources into my work, without making it into a Selous Scout paper?

I have already evaluated the sources I wanted to evaluate, that were relative to my position and within the boundaries. That said, and as many of you are aware, unless it is no shit research-not funded by an opposing side, most publications are someone's opinion anyway.
My intention is to draft this paper, using a combination of self gained knowledge and that of peers IOT compose and compel my opinion. I have searched some scholarly sources in JSOU, that I thought maybe in line with my opinion, but have not found exactly what I was looking for. Media seems next to useless on the topic. And, I want to argue my opinion not someone else's. The result could very well be me receiving a lower grade for not following instructions. I am okay with that. My tolerance for BS is at an all time low, and I haven't yet reached 1/2 of the expected life span of our nation.

Background: Without posting my draft.

The topic was chosen from 4 available. Initially it was "Can ISIS be Defeated in the Near Future?", I narrowed it to "How ISIS Can be Defeated?". I know the reality is slim to none. I am arguing that using TTPs from the Selous Scouts along with exploiting modern resources it could be accomplished, albeit illegal.
The only real opposition I see to this, for argumentative purposes, are self imposed laws and authorities. I would rather disregard or discredit them in the paper. They make sense with regard to conventional threats(sometimes). However, just like the the perfect storm of hierarchy and bureaucracy many of you have found yourselves in, they do little more than impede or totally halt progress in combatting unconventional threats.

Sources:
Your sources should be either scholarly sources or from respected, mainstream news sources, and contain verifiable evidence for your position. You should try to use at least two credible opposing sources (one can be from your textbook)The textbook is "Taking Sides, Clashing Views on Global Issues", again, my thoughts about the two articles regarding my topic; They are just some other assholes opinion. . You should show that you are able to evaluate credibility in the selection of your sources (BRIEFLY, what are the credentials of the author?). Selected information should always be relevant to the central argument, based on solid evidence, and quoted or paraphrased correctly to support each claim. Sources should also be well integrated into developed paragraphs (contextualized by using your words to introduce the quote grammatically and to explain its importance to your argument

Flagg
04-17-2017, 22:44
UPDATE: Came up with a solution. Still would like feedback on the topic. More specifically, in the area of opposition to my argument.

BLUF: I am looking for advice, given, the instructions below my post. How can I work some sources into my work, without making it into a Selous Scout paper?

I have already evaluated the sources I wanted to evaluate, that were relative to my position and within the boundaries. That said, and as many of you are aware, unless it is no shit research-not funded by an opposing side, most publications are someone's opinion anyway.
My intention is to draft this paper, using a combination of self gained knowledge and that of peers IOT compose and compel my opinion. I have searched some scholarly sources in JSOU, that I thought maybe in line with my opinion, but have not found exactly what I was looking for. Media seems next to useless on the topic. And, I want to argue my opinion not someone else's. The result could very well be me receiving a lower grade for not following instructions. I am okay with that. My tolerance for BS is at an all time low, and I haven't yet reached 1/2 of the expected life span of our nation.

Background: Without posting my draft.

The topic was chosen from 4 available. Initially it was "Can ISIS be Defeated in the Near Future?", I narrowed it to "How ISIS Can be Defeated?". I know the reality is slim to none. I am arguing that using TTPs from the Selous Scouts along with exploiting modern resources it could be accomplished, albeit illegal.
The only real opposition I see to this, for argumentative purposes, are self imposed laws and authorities. I would rather disregard or discredit them in the paper. They make sense with regard to conventional threats(sometimes). However, just like the the perfect storm of hierarchy and bureaucracy many of you have found yourselves in, they do little more than impede or totally halt progress in combatting unconventional threats.

Sources:
Your sources should be either scholarly sources or from respected, mainstream news sources, and contain verifiable evidence for your position. You should try to use at least two credible opposing sources (one can be from your textbook)The textbook is "Taking Sides, Clashing Views on Global Issues", again, my thoughts about the two articles regarding my topic; They are just some other assholes opinion. . You should show that you are able to evaluate credibility in the selection of your sources (BRIEFLY, what are the credentials of the author?). Selected information should always be relevant to the central argument, based on solid evidence, and quoted or paraphrased correctly to support each claim. Sources should also be well integrated into developed paragraphs (contextualized by using your words to introduce the quote grammatically and to explain its importance to your argument

My amateur opinion is that referencing Selous Scouts could have some value, but may be lost on many(obviously audience dependant) unless they already have an understanding of Selous Scout Pseudo Operations.

It may be worth incorporating Selous Scouts as but one of several pseudo ops examples through history such as during Mau Mau uprising in Kenya and Keenie Meenies in Yemen.

I would also think it dependant upon problem framing, such as is your focus Local(tactical), Regional(operational) or Global(strategic).

My thoughts regarding it have only been from the amateur/strategic level.....imagining how each country or unique governance zone would require their own unique "Troop".

IIRC Selous Scouts consisted of a very small cadre of white/black qualified Scouts with an increasingly large proportion of personnel being "turned" and vetted terrorists.

With a mission of finding bad guys who infiltrated into Rhodesia(to be killed by Fireforce raids), as well as the strategic mission of deterring terrorists from infiltrating Rhodesia to even begin with.

Law Enforcement/Justice system/Intelligence were closely integrated into the Selous Scouts system, along with human resources, health, and social services for the turned terrorists(and their families).

The advent of social media provides a platform that cuts both ways. Call centre efficiency comes to mind and doesn't take much to set up with off the shelf tools, but staffing it becomes a problem.

As do the very real sovereign borders that cut through the digital cloud, with their own unique law enforcement, detention, judicial system, and political climate/sensitivities.

And then there's the ideological component, where "turned" IS terrorists(and ideological recruits) may not possess the cultural mindset to pivot their incongruent beliefs.

If I was to speculate on how something might hypothetically be attempted:

Call Centre with well vetted pseudo IS recruiters
Channel recruits down "roach motel" ratlines
Arrest/charge/convict them in sympathetic state secret court
Execute or imprison them incommunicado if they don't agree to long term "turned terrorist" probation contracts
Disrupt IS recruitment in the majority of western countries(like morons who try to hire hitmen and getting rolled by LE)

Fund, recruit, and train a bunch of vetted local nationals to inject into real IS ratlines to map, disrupt, kill them.

Just pure speculation on my part.

Tim Bax is a retired Selous Scouts author who is easy to find contact details for if additional context is needed, and I know another retired fella who has done a bit of writing on the topic who was one of the first guys thru.

miclo18d
04-18-2017, 04:45
Another source to research may be Los Pepes in Colombia during the search for Pablo Escobar. I would recommend a certain book but the author is PNG and his writings are not to be trusted, however, you should be able to find plenty of info on that subject.

Legal/illegal is decided by the winner. The problem with destroying ISIS isn't a killing problem, it's a commitment problem. The people of the region have been lorded over by dictators for so long, they don't have the will to fight. They will take enslavement orders from the strongest warlord. Saddam, Assad, ISIS, America, whoever. The group that is willing to go all the way will prevail! Saddam-done, America-no national will to win, to do what is required, to have the national press behind its soldiers, even if a few eggs get broken. That leaves Assad and ISIS. Who has the will to win? Creating a scout unit is a tactical solution you need a grand strategy to defeat ISIS. America hasn't lost a tactical engagement for a very long time, so why aren't we "winning" wars?

bowhunter
04-18-2017, 07:44
Another source to research may be Los Pepes in Colombia during the search for Pablo Escobar. I would recommend a certain book but the author is PNG and his writings are not to be trusted, however, you should be able to find plenty of info on that subject.

Legal/illegal is decided by the winner. The problem with destroying ISIS isn't a killing problem, it's a commitment problem. The people of the region have been lorded over by dictators for so long, they don't have the will to fight. They will take enslavement orders from the strongest warlord. Saddam, Assad, ISIS, America, whoever. The group that is willing to go all the way will prevail! Saddam-done, America-no national will to win, to do what is required, to have the national press behind its soldiers, even if a few eggs get broken. That leaves Assad and ISIS. Who has the will to win? Creating a scout unit is a tactical solution you need a grand strategy to defeat ISIS. America hasn't lost a tactical engagement for a very long time, so why aren't we "winning" wars?

miclo,

Thanks for the reply and the lead. I have done very little research regarding Los Pepes to date. You have inspired me to broaden my knowledge.

I failed to note, the majority of the audience is lacking knowledge on either topic. I am taking the class with 19-20 year olds who's view on world events is gained from the mandatory class discussions or what they see on Facebook. The topic itself is fairly complex, adding in other support and oppositions can make it even more so. It limits me to ( I f...ing hate this phrase) "wave tops".

I agree, a scout unit in itself, is inherently tactical. The Psuedo-terror and Asymmetrical operations conduct, tactical or operational at times, like UW is more of strategical importance. Totally concur with the remainder of your post.

Flagg,

Thanks for the reply. You have some very real points pertaining to the (2nd, ∞ ) effects, as did miclo, that would need to be addressed. I am glad a few other people have read Tim's works. To be honest, I would venture to say an extremely small portion of the U.S. population knows about the Selous Scouts or any conflict on the continent of Africa. Shoot, I know guys, that work in the Special Operations community, that knew nothing about the Scouts. I always have wondered if, and if not, why; certain individuals or commands reach out to him?

I will let you guys know about the results. I will pass, believe that. By, with and through-even if it is a professor with opposing views. Maybe I can sow a perspective changing seed. Lords knows, for this one, I won't be sowing the seed of superior genetics.