Airbornelawyer
01-16-2005, 21:23
Iraqi Mechanized Brigade Assumes New Missions

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 16, 2005
Capt. Steven Alvarez
IRAQNA Cell: 011-964-790-191-0615
E-mail: alvarezsj@mnstci.iraq.centcom.mil

BAGHDAD, Iraq – The Iraqi army took another step forward in the security of their nation this week by mobilizing the 1st Mechanized Brigade, an armor unit. Based in Taji, the unit conducted its first operational mission this week with two presence patrols using both MTLB vehicles and T55 tanks. The brigade also assumed part of the security mission at the Ministry of Defense by stationing BMPs on the MOD grounds.

According to U.S. Army Col. David Styles, the Multi-National Security Transition Command – Iraq armor project officer, the brigade has three primary missions: conduct counter-insurgency operations to provide for a secure and stable Iraq, act as the nucleus of larger formations to facilitate the creation and expansion to a mechanized division and to be Iraq’s future mobile reserve.

The brigade soldiers have been conducting basic skills training at the individual, squad and platoon level for weeks. The training includes physical, weapons, urban operations, traffic control point, patrol, and maintenance training that incorporates the capabilities of their mechanized and armored vehicles. Training also includes civil affairs operations as the brigade will be interacting extensively with the people of Iraq.

“They patrolled the local area around Taji both mounted and dismounted with the Calvary. They walked the local markets and interacted with the people,” Col. Styles said. “They received a lot of cheers and thumbs up, overall reaction of the local population appeared very positive.”

As Election Day approaches security around the country is increasing dramatically, the brigade is working along side other Iraqi units for election security.

“The mission of the brigade is to protect the Iraqi people and to protect the security of the country against all Iraqi enemies,” said Iraqi Staff Brig. Gen. Kasim Jasim Nazal, 1st Brigade’s commander.

According to MNSTC-I officials the brigade will be positioned at locations deemed critical to the security of the election process and will be there as long as necessary to support the elections. The unit’s unique armor and mobility will enhance security at selected sites.

“The brigade is at the Ministry to protect it and all the election centers,” Gen. Nazal said. “We are also going to keep Baghdad secure and protect the main gates of the city; the brigade will be very visible on Election Day.”

The brigade, Styles said, will display a new strength and capability to the Iraqi people that will provide a sense of pride in their Army, it will serve as a reason for hope in the future security of their country, he added.

For more information, please visit www.mnstci.iraq.centcom.mil.BTW, the picture below is named "tank.jpg" - it is credited to U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Andrew Hughan, MNSTC-I PAO. Air Force... :rolleyes:

Airbornelawyer
01-16-2005, 21:29
Iraqi Air Force Takes Off With Aircraft Delivery

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 16, 2005
Capt. Steven Alvarez
IRAQNA Cell: 011-964-790-191-0615
E-mail: alvarezsj@mnstci.iraq.centcom.mil

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION, Iraq – Coalition and Iraqi military leaders gathered at a secure air facility in Iraq to celebrate the activation of the 23rd Iraqi Air Force Squadron. The United States gifted three C-130E cargo planes to Iraq in an effort to jump-start Iraqi airlift capabilities. The large airplanes were recently overhauled including a new exterior paint job touched-off with Iraqi flags on the tail sections.

The 23rd Iraqi Transport Squadron was originally activated July 14, 1965, at Al Rasheed Air Base. Its primary mission was and will continue to be transporting military personnel and equipment. Approximately 65 Iraqi Air Force personnel, including four crews, have completed a four-month lead-in course in Jordan and will now be trained to fly and maintain the new airplanes.

A standard crew on a C-130 is five: two pilots, a navigator, radio operator and loadmaster. Flight training will continue with assistance from the Coalition Military Assistance Training Teams assigned to this mission. U.S. Air Force Capt. Daniel A. DeVoe, an advisor support team member from the 777th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, is looking forward to the challenge.

“We are making progress. Although Iraqi crews have not flown these airplanes yet, the familiarization process is going well,” DeVoe said. Additional training will be provided to the Iraqi airmen in the United States on flight simulators.

Prior to the start of the ceremony, Iraqi Air Force personnel followed Iraqi custom by slaughtering five sheep in honor of the occasion. Blood from the sheep was collected and used to mark the sides of the planes as well as the occasion. Bloody hand prints could be seen on every plane. The sacrifice was offered in celebration of the new beginning of the Iraqi Air Force and usually signifies a “good omen” and is symbolic of being under God’s protection, explained an Iraqi at the ceremony. Later the lamb would be prepared and served to the Iraqi airmen as a meal.

Coalition and Iraqi delegations attendees included U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Walter E. Buchanan, Combined Forces Air Component commander, U.S. Army Brig. Gen. James Schwitters, CMATT commanding general, Iraqi Lt. Gen. Nasir Al Abadi, deputy chief of staff, Iraqi Armed Forces and Maj. Gen. Kamal Al Barzanjy, Iraqi Air Force commander.

In his remarks, Buchanan said, “Today is a good day for the Iraqi Air Force as you begin to write a new chapter in the proud legacy of Squadron 23. More importantly, today is a good day for the people of Iraq. I am delighted with the activation of the 23rd Squadron, but I am overjoyed by yet another step toward a free and fully sovereign Iraq.”

Royal Air Force Wing Cmdr. Steve Shell said it was a proud day for his Iraqi colleagues. “These aircraft will make a big difference to the Air Force contribution to independent operations,” he said.

Abadi was also a featured speaker at the ceremony and exchanged gifts with Buchanan at the conclusion of the brief ceremony. Abadi praised the cooperation and support of Coalition Forces and personally thanked a number of them.

“I would like to thank Coalition Forces for their generosity and helping to put Iraq back on its feet. We are announcing today the reactivation and reestablishment of Squadron 23, and we extend our best wishes to our Air Force.”

Once all training is completed Squadron 23 will move operations to Al Muthana Air Base in Baghdad where maintenance, staff and support facilities are being readied. In due course, they will be joined by Squadron 3, which has fixed wing and helicopter assets.

The ceremony ended with the band playing while the unit guidon was unveiled for the assembly. The pennant, with yellow lettering, read: Squadron 23, and waved in the dusty breeze. According to one soldier who had inspected one of the planes, “It was the cleanest C-130 I have ever seen. Even the ladders were newly painted!”

For more information, please visit www.mnstci.iraq.centcom.mil.The pic below is also by T/SGT Mughan. I see it's not called "helicopter." By the way, have any of you ever visited Undisclosed Location, Iraq? I hear it's a beautiful place.

alphamale
01-16-2005, 21:45
>> The Iraqi army took another step forward in the security of their nation this week by mobilizing the 1st Mechanized Brigade, an armor unit.

What is the scope of a Mechanized Brigade?

FrontSight

Airbornelawyer
01-16-2005, 22:05
What do you mean by scope? Mission or geographical?

I suspect that initially its role is mostly symbolic - to demonstrate that the new Iraqi Army is more than just a constabulary subordinated to American power, but will when ready assume responsibility for Iraq's national defense. All those idiots from Turtle Bay to the Quai d'Orsay* clamoring for a date certain for withdrawal either don't know or don't care that Iraq's various unfriendly neighbors all have rather large armies. This is the first big step toward addressing that shortcoming.

BTW, the article has this sentence: "'They patrolled the local area around Taji both mounted and dismounted with the Calvary. They walked the local markets and interacted with the people,' Col. Styles said." I sure hope that the author, and not Col. Styles, said that. There is a world of difference between the Calvary and the cavalry. :rolleyes:
_________

* That rhymes! I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. I should trademark that phrase (Turtle Bay is where the UN HQ in New York is located, and the Quai d'Orsay is where various French government offices are located. Comparable to "Foggy Bottom," it is common shorthand for the French Foreign Ministry).

alphamale
01-16-2005, 22:35
What do you mean by scope? Mission or geographical?Mission.

There is a world of difference between the Calvary and the cavalry.Like the difference between Covert and Clandestine ;) ?

FrontSight

AngelsSix
01-17-2005, 02:29
Are you making fun of the Air Force?? Do I need to come visit you?? roll you eyes at me again, LMAO!! :rolleyes:

Razor
01-17-2005, 10:29
Mission.

Kill people, break things, and rototill thousands of square miles of topsoil for the local agricultural community pro bono.

For the pagans among us, Calvary was the name of the hill on which Jesus was crucified, while cavalry is a collection of soldiers with low self-esteem that compensate by wearing big cowboy hats and corrective shoes. :D

Weazle23
01-17-2005, 13:09
... cavalry is a collection of soldiers with low self-esteem that compensate by wearing big cowboy hats and corrective shoes. :D

They also like to eat a LOT and consider climbing onto their vehicles enough PT.