PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering in SF

Marty
03-21-2017, 11:00
I have searched the forums and could not find anything directly relating to this question. I am currently talking to a recruiter about enlisting, the only hang up is I have a mild stutter where it occasionally takes me a few seconds to get a word out; most of the time however, I am fluent. I am going to need a medical waiver but my recruiter seems confident in my abilities to get in with an 18x contract.

I understand the need to communicate quickly and effectively to do the job, paired with the need to be able to instruct and lead. In this area I feel confident in my ability to speak but might have blocks occasionally.

My questions are have you ever met anyone in SF with a stutter/speech impediment? Have you heard of someone not getting selected due to stuttering?

Peregrino
03-21-2017, 12:16
I have searched the forums and could not find anything directly relating to this question. I am currently talking to a recruiter about enlisting, the only hang up is I have a mild stutter where it occasionally takes me a few seconds to get a word out; most of the time however, I am fluent. I am going to need a medical waiver but my recruiter seems confident in my abilities to get in with an 18x contract.

I understand the need to communicate quickly and effectively to do the job, paired with the need to be able to instruct and lead. In this area I feel confident in my ability to speak but might have blocks occasionally.

My questions are have you ever met anyone in SF with a stutter/speech impediment? Have you heard of someone not getting selected due to stuttering?

No, and no. And if you do succeed in getting accepted as an 18X, I'll be VERY interested in knowing how well you do in language school.

Astronomy
03-21-2017, 13:25
At 1-10, my detachment E7 18F had a pretty good stutter. Never impacted his performance. He'd stuttered all his life. This was back in the mid 80's.

At K2 (Uzbekistan), there was a guard bunker on top of the berm directly adjacent to my tent. Just a few meters away. A young USMC NCO often pulled night sentry duty there. He had a raging case of both stuttering & Tourette Syndrome. Given to barking out all manner of uncontrolled profanities at random times. After awhile, I slept through it because I at least knew he was wide awake and watching his sector.

Lots of famous and successful folks are/were stutterers. Winston Churchill. Former VP Joe Biden. USAF BG (Ret) & actor Jimmie Stewart. Renowned stage/film star James Earl Jones. Throw those names at anyone who argues the point.

If your case is mild, I wouldn't expect it to be a show stopper and the waiver would likely be pretty simple to approve (if needed).

I've had guys on teams who could barely speak coherently in public... and they didn't have a stutter. Not unintelligent, just limited in their command of the English language and their ability to speak in front of others. Worse than stuttering actually.

Good luck.

FearMonkey
03-21-2017, 13:29
Marty,
One of my former teammates had a fairly significant stutter. He was an excellent teacher, mentor, and warrior. He continues to lead a full, exciting, and wonderful career with Special Forces. Don't sweat it! Focus on the things you CAN control; such as your physical fitness, mental fortitude, and moral integrity. Those elements will ultimately be the deciding factor. Good luck.

adal
03-21-2017, 14:11
One of my fellow medics has a stutter. License plate says Sssteve. You'll probably do fine.

Team Sergeant
03-21-2017, 16:03
And we use hand and arms signals to back up our voice commands.....

Besides, if we can understand most of our 18B's we'll understand you. ;)

Marty
03-21-2017, 17:41
Thank you for all the replies, definitely encouraging.

scooter
03-21-2017, 22:50
One of my fellow medics has a stutter. License plate says Sssteve.

That's funny.

1stindoor
03-22-2017, 07:11
I've also known a few while I was on AD. One was my 180A that had suffered a severe TBI (outboard hit him in the nugget) and it never affected their ability to do their job. As was already mentioned, your training, competence, and confidence will help you compensate for it.

JGC2
03-24-2017, 22:47
I've known four stutterers in SF, two very closely. None of them ever had any issues. Those two were top performers. For some reason, none of them had any problems once they were giving a brief. It's as if the stuttering button was turned off.

I wouldn't stress about this one bit if I was you.

tom kelly
03-25-2017, 16:36
Marty, No & No/ However, I was a SF Delta in Vietnam,1964....But your speech should not matter; Do your best and never quit...TK

Guymullins
03-27-2017, 00:19
I had two stutterers in my Falcon (A unit of 8 that filled a Fire Force Puma chopper)
We were once slightly delayed when we were at the canteen counter ordering cool drinks when the siren went off, meaning we should sprint to the choppers for a mission. The chap in front of me was ordering. "Give me a c C C C C, Ggive me a C C C .
Man, Fuck the Coke, Ggive me a Fanta."

Leozinho
03-28-2017, 17:33
I took language training for a gov agency with a stutterer. He stuttered in his target language and still passed.

I'm confident the graders didn't hold his stuttering against him, and rightly so.

I can't speak for SF language program graders but would be surprised if they hold it against you. If you stutter in English and the Army doesn't make that a disqualifier, then why would they hold it against you when learning your target language?

SC Pete
04-08-2017, 16:54
Knew a guy who had a pretty good stutter. (18 B). Odd, as he NEVER stuttered speaking his target language. And we, his team-mates, didn't give a f*ck when he was talking to us and stuttered. So don't worry too much.

UWOA (RIP)
04-09-2017, 08:23
And we use hand and arms signals to back up our voice commands.....

Besides, if we can understand most of our 18B's we'll understand you. ;)

Good one, Top!