PDA

View Full Version : Comp puzzle, bootup issue.

Tetrian
01-15-2005, 15:01
Hoping one of you gentlemen might be able to help me out with a solution for this problem, or atleast with a hint in the right direction - cause its really throwing me off.. :)

I recently installed SP2, and my system promptly started acting funny (windows got corrupted it seemed, lotsa error messages on startup stuff like that)

So I tried formatting and reinstalling windows XP, thinking it had been corrupted somehow, used a friends install CD last time, so figured i would go buy my own win XP cd to ease the future up some - go figure, the seller gives me a cd that comes with SP2 preinstalled - so kinda hard to test if thats where the problem lays, since i dont have access to an XP CD outside of that one atm.

Anyways, I installed XP, and had no problems, then the next day when i turned on the comp, i heard it boot up all the fans, after that, it kinda went into a weird high pitched fan sound(might be from the HD), screen doesnt turn on or anything(stays in standby mode) - now, being a persistent fucker, especially when it comes to my comp not working, i tried rebooting/turning power off/on some(alot of) times, and after several tries the screen turns on and freezes at the ram count screen, or sometimes a little further - within a few tries with freezes it got into windows, and after that, the problem is gone for the rest of my time there, can reboot and shut it on off, and everything with no issues at all(doesnt freeze either), until it gets a nice break, and gets cold. Tried reinstalling again, to see if solved it, but to no avail.

Looking at how it only happening when the comp was cold, i quickly(well, in 3 days time) put two and two together and tried letting it be on for a bit, after a minute or so the it whirs down to normal, and after that i only need to turn the power off and on again once to get the screen to turn on and for it to boot up normally - well almost, it still freezes once or twice during the first bootup.

So the question is, anyone here ever seen or heard of anything like it - and know a cure, or what part of the comp the issue might be with? - granted my knowledge on comps are somewhat limited, but i've never encountered or heard of anything like it. - aka the system goes unstable when its "cold" (normal room temperature).

Thanks in advance,

-Tetrian.

Martin
01-15-2005, 15:35
I'm sorry if this comes out blurry - I'm tired.

I wouldn't rule out a software error, but it doesn't sound like it because of it's irregularity (of course, from what you're saying).

A relatively far fetched problem would be the CPU, unless it's relatively new and should automatically slow down in case of overheating. If it's older and, e.g. the thermal paste between the heatsink/fan and CPU permits air pockets that could lead to overheating and crash. Low conductivity would explain higher rpms - on the other hand the fans on some systems do start high automatically and then wind down fast. Either way, and I'm rambling, doesn't sound like that kind of problem. CPUs don't half die or half crash, thus not creating these sorts of issues.

Bad ram - if possible (available on Linux (on boot), perhaps live cds too, don't know about win), run memtest86 to check for faulty memory. This sounds most likely and is not too uncommon.

You have not so far hinted on anything that points towards the harddrive.

PS. Overclocking can lead to overheating and the overall higher operating temperature of components to a shorter life span. DS.

Martin
01-15-2005, 15:43
You have not so far hinted on anything that points towards the harddrive.

Except for the sound, of course.

I've had a few harddrives quit on me and they give a pitched tapping sound when trying to read faulty sectors on the drive's discs. They do it repeatedly as they try to re-read the area.

I'm sorry for my rambling above, you can just read the line about the ram.

On the other hand, SP2 do have created issues for some - perhaps win update have something for you. (though that doesn't explain the problems at BIOS level)

HTH

Kyobanim
01-15-2005, 17:39
I didn't see where you updated your BIOS before starting. If you didn't already, update your BIOS. If it's not current you'll have all kinds of problems.

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2005, 20:25
I am an expert now - I have made every mistake one can make. Upgrade the bios first like Kyo said.

Martin
01-17-2005, 04:36
...and if it persists, run a ram check.

Huey14
01-17-2005, 04:45
Or throw it at your friend and say "I'll buy you ammo if you fix it". Works for me.

Guy
01-17-2005, 10:26
I didn't see where you updated your BIOS before starting. If you didn't already, update your BIOS. If it's not current you'll have all kinds of problems.

Any links on how to do this? Would this also cause problems with your hardware...DVD burner, CDROM, all-in-one Printer/Copier/Fax/Scanner?

Martin
01-17-2005, 10:31
Guy, the manufacturer of your motherboard should have that information readily available. It might be included in a readme with the update too.

If you bought it assembled already, they may have it on their (computer manufacturer) site too.

Check their support section.

Be very careful to follow the instructions.

Kyobanim
01-17-2005, 11:40
Be very careful to follow the instructions.

I think that's the understatement of the year. If you don't follow the instructions to the letter you can possibly make it un-useable.

If you have a Dell, Compaq, HP or any other name brand, go to their support website and download the update. It's usually a file that when executed, creates a bootable floppy disk that will update the bios for you.

If the PC is locally built, no name brand, then look at the main board for a mfg name.

Guy - Yes, it's possible for the bios to affect the operation of a DVD burner, CDROM, all-in-one Printer/Copier/Fax/Scanner. BIOS = basic input/output system. Anotherwords, it controls the way things get into and out of the PC, i.e., printer, mouse, keyboard, modem, fax, ect. Usually, the problem lies with the operating system and the way it handles hardware addresses but recently, I've been seeing problems related to the BIOS when using Windows XP service pack 2.

Guy
01-17-2005, 16:36
I've been seeing problems related to the BIOS when using Windows XP service pack 2.

Good LORD! Bill Gates has to have an unlisted #, else I would be calling him now.

Any more "SEND ERROR" reports. My next computer may be a Mac. :eek:

Tetrian
03-01-2005, 15:11
Sorry for the long response time, but took a bit before i found the time to try and update etc.

Ended up buying a new motherboard, after having tried to update the bios, with no success(same issues as before update).

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave advice and tried to help, helped alot in pin pointing the problem. - Thank you.

-Tetrian

Martin
03-01-2005, 15:26
Do you mean that it works as it should now, with the new MB?

Tetrian
03-02-2005, 10:13
Yes sir, works like a charm now. :)

Ended up crashing completely in the end though, and also had to install windows from scratch after replacement, weird critical error of sorts in it.(lost all my later quotes/images/artwork - note to self, dont ever use windows default folders, like documents for critical stuff) >.<

-Tetrian

JaY
03-05-2005, 04:37
Good LORD! Bill Gates has to have an unlisted #, else I would be calling him now.

Any more "SEND ERROR" reports. My next computer may be a Mac. :eek:

Old post, but if you're still having the send error messages you can disable that.

Go to start menu > settings > control panel > system > advanced tab > error reporting (at the bottom) > choose disable error reporting and check but notify me when critical errors occur.

Then just hit okay, you'll be good to go with no more send error reports.