PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction?

Rschoeneck
01-14-2005, 12:43
My first post here, hope it wont be my last, heh.

What, if any, additional opportunities for other schools are available for SF. Obviously Airborne is a prereq., but what about the others?

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

If these opportunities ARE available, are they also available to the NGSF?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Your Mileage May Vary.

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming.

Jo Sul
01-14-2005, 12:57
Yes, things like this are available to SF - certainly scuba and HALO. Some of these school slots should be available to NG SF groups.

Psywar1-0
01-14-2005, 13:21

What, if any, additional opportunities for other schools are available for SF. Obviously Airborne is a prereq., but what about the others?

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Yes they are depending on optempo and state funding. Unless your in a slot coded for Halo or Scuba its not as easy to get slots.

A buddy of mine while serving as a TmSgt used to judge his new 18b the following way:

If they didnt already have a Ranger tab, the first 4187 he should see from them had better be for Ranger school, as 18Bs on the team are the SMU/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Now if you can figure out what all that milspeak was your going to be doing good :D

Rschoeneck
01-14-2005, 13:35
As Psywar put it, with the Weap. Sgts. being the S pecial M ission U nit / P oint of I mpact for F oreign I nternal D efense :cool: , a 18D is pretty much buggered at getting the opportunity to attend these courses of instruction?

Thanks again for your time.

QRQ 30
01-14-2005, 14:36
As Psywar put it, with the Weap. Sgts. being the S pecial M ission U nit / P oint of I mpact for F oreign I nternal D efense :cool: , a 18D is pretty much buggered at getting the opportunity to attend these schools?

Thanks again for your time.

My my how times have changed. :boohoo :rolleyes:

Rschoeneck
01-14-2005, 14:38
I apologize if I had offended you in some manner, just trying to glean a little bit of information. :D

Razor
01-14-2005, 14:43
There are lots of courses of instruction (noticed I didn't use the term 'schools') available out there to SF soldiers. Attendance relies upon need, timing, and luck, not necessarily in that order.

Rschoeneck
01-14-2005, 14:48
"noticed I didn't use the term 'schools'"

Noted, corrected, and thank you.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-14-2005, 15:46
The Special Warfare Center conducts over 80 courses of instruction for SF and SOF personnel. That number varies both in number and subject as requirements arise. In addition there are numerous courses of instruction run by both DOD and other agencies that address special requirements for folks that need them and are qualified to attend. In short, there is no shortage of training and education opportunities for SF folks.

Jack Moroney

Team Sergeant
01-14-2005, 15:56
as 18Bs on the team are the SMU/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

What Psywar1-0 meant to say was: as 18Bs on the team are the SME's/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Subject Matter Experts / Primary Instructor

Team Sergeant

(There will not be threads/posts/discussions relating to SMU's on this board.)

QRQ 30
01-14-2005, 16:51
I apologize if I had offended you in some manner, just trying to glean a little bit of information. :D

I'm not offended at all, although I find that particular smiley strange for an apology.

Excuse me, we didn't have all of that alphabet soup crap when I was active, some but now y'all seem to talk in acronyms.

The primary SF MOS Career Field is 18_ period. There are some, but few courses of instruction that are MOS specific. I was an 05B (18D) and attended many and became a UWO/SAR instructor. I wasn't hardly buggered.

If a team is to utilize a particular means of infiltration, the entire team must be qualified. The same would go for a special weapons qualification. One or two may be the primary personnel but everyone else is a back-up . People get hurt and die -- an unfortunate fact.

Through formal training and cross training I became qualified in all SF MOS's. I even completed the Infantry Officer's Pre-Comission Course.

There are myriads of training programs available and with the proper amount of ambition you can get almost any training you want unless it is MOS specific.

As an 05B I served, in addition to communications positions, as a UWO/SAR/Rough Terraine instructor; the TNG NCO of the UWO school in Thailand, RT Team Leader, I was PI for putting my team through Abn Training in Vietnam and various other duty positions. I don't feel I was buggered as a commo man.

In fact, COMMO Rules!!!!! :lifter

Psywar1-0
01-14-2005, 17:02
What Psywar1-0 meant to say was: as 18Bs on the team are the SME's/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Subject Matter Experts / Primary Instructor

Team Sergeant

(There will not be threads/posts/discussions relating to SMU's on this board.)

Thanks,

Thats why your the TmSgt and Im Not

The Reaper
01-16-2005, 09:14

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Badgefinder?

TR

Weazle23
01-16-2005, 11:17
Badgefinder?

TR

ROFL, was waiting for it :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2005, 11:34
School whore. :p

Medics can go to schools as well. I went to several very good ones and could have gone to more. I wanted to deploy instead. Language school didn't use to be part of the Q course, and it is absolutely necessary IMO. I got that one by breaking my back. Went to MFF. A couple of others. ACLS, The Lake, load planning (critical path to success in those days ;) ), etc.

The important thing is get on a Team and by tactically and technically proficient - the rest will take care of itself.

Basenshukai
01-16-2005, 14:20
Every time I pick up a new book on SOF, about 90% of them keep perpetuating the myth that ALL SF soldiers are required to attend HALO school. I also read the same about SEALs. Of course, I know that it isn't true for us in SF, but, do all SEALs go to HALO? That would be an awful lot of slots every year, wouldn't it?

[Disclaimer: Possible stupid question brought about by recent high velocity impact to the head. :D ]

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2005, 14:31
All the ones I ever knew did. They had their own school back then though.

Rschoeneck
01-16-2005, 14:57
Badgefinder?

TR

Badgefinder?!?!? Coooooooool

What about the moped assault course? Isnt there also adavanced ATV operations?

hehe...badgefinder was good though

The Reaper
01-16-2005, 18:14
Badgefinder?!?!? Coooooooool

What about the moped assault course? Isnt there also adavanced ATV operations?

hehe...badgefinder was good though

In case you missed it, that was an implication that you were shopping for a job that would let you go to all of the cool schools with badges, rather than going downrange to do your MOS required job.

Have a very SF day.

TR

504PIR
01-16-2005, 20:38
I heard a that Navy was going to set up its own static-line jump school, because they did not get enough through the Army. Which seems ludicrous to me. Besides how many combat jumps have the Navy done??

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2005, 20:44
I heard a that Navy was going to set up its own static-line jump school, because they did not get enough through the Army. Which seems ludicrous to me. Besides how many combat jumps have the Navy done??
I'm sure the SquEALs and EOD have jumped some operationally - although I don't know why they would jump rope if they didn't have to. Probably use it more as a prerequisite for MFF than anything else. Just a guess. Ask Matchanu when he comes back.

QRQ 30
01-16-2005, 20:51

Probably about as many as most of us. It takes more than a small unit to qualify for a combat jump.

We might ask how many "combat jumps" were operationally sound and how many were staged for the status symbol? :D

QRQ 30
01-16-2005, 21:13
I don't know when the NDSM (Been in the Army) came out but for several years the only claim to fame I had was my "jump wings'. Also, the spit shined Cochrans. In those days the $55 per month jump pay about doubled my military pay. In the beginning few who had them wore ribbons. They wore their jump wings and if they had them ther CIB/CMB. That said it all in those days. Now those badges get lost in the other trinkets.

After five years in the Army I went to Vietnam wearing the grand total of two ribbons, the "being in the army badge" and the "never got caught for three years (GCM) medal." There was no HALO badge or CD badge.
Today soldiers graduate from BCT with more ribbons than I amassed in 15 years. Dayem. The Army has followed the Zoomies in becoming badge happy. Before long y'all are going to need sashes to display all of your merit badges like the Girl Scouts. :D

Just a rant from a FOG soon to be a VFOG in April. :rolleyes: