PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Arms closing

Brush Okie
01-27-2017, 11:08
Wonder how many other AR builders we will see go out of business soon? I know a local guy that has worked there for years. Nice guy hopefully the employees get along well. Not many jobs for out of work gun folks in WA area these days.

http://www.olyarms.com/

After more than 40 years of business, it is with great sorrow that we announce that February 28th, 2017 will be the last day of operation for Olympic Arms, Inc.

The Schuetz family would like to express their heartfelt thanks to all their friends, associates, and partners that have been a part of the Olympic Arms experience. Most of all we would like to thank our loyal customers and patrons who have been with us all this time.

In the course of closing, we are announcing the following changes in policy effective immediately:

All sales are final.
No refunds or returns will be accepted after 1-25-2017.
On-line Shopping Cart will be active and effective while supplies last.
All Warranty service ceases 1-25-2017. Warranty work and repairs currently in-house will be serviced and returned.
New orders will only be taken for inventory currently in stock, or that can be built from remaining inventory.
All inventory will be liquidated.
ALL SALES will cease at close of business 28 February, 2017

Thank you for your patronage.

CSB
01-27-2017, 14:09
Having an AR manufacturing facility anywhere on the left coast looks like a sure road to bankruptcy.

Same for some of the northeast (Beretta, anyone).

Can they make a move to Tennessee?

Gun friendly, business friendly, four seasons weather, and no state income tax.

35NCO
01-27-2017, 14:35
I have a 90s Oly lower that cracked up the mag well, while firing.

The lattice structure of the metal looks like a kids toy made in china.

It's only used as a .22 upper host now. Only thing keeping it together is JB weld.

The name is a nostalgia thing, but the products always seemed subpar to me.

Leozinho
01-27-2017, 21:07
Serious question:

How did being in a gun-unfriendly state have anything to do with this? Does Washington state have a special tax on firearm manufacturers?

(Seems more likely that the cause was Oly had a mediocre reputation and there are now approximately 4,324 AR makers churning out rifles. Some old companies are bound to get squeezed out.)

Brush Okie
01-28-2017, 02:43
Serious question:

How did being in a gun-unfriendly state have anything to do with this? Does Washington state have a special tax on firearm manufacturers?

(Seems more likely that the cause was Oly had a mediocre reputation and there are now approximately 4,324 AR makers churning out rifles. Some old companies are bound to get squeezed out.)

As far as I know no special tax. My GUESS is they are the first of many AR manufacturers to go out of business. The AR market has been in decline for a while now. With Trump in office people are not as worried about getting one. The whole forbidden fruit thing.

I have heard they are medicoure, bit I have talked to one of their machinists and these days they machine their receivers via CNC from blocks is my understanding. He is/was their CNC guy so should know. I hate to see anyone go out of business but I am sure the world will survive.

Buckles
01-28-2017, 14:25
Brush Okie is right, there are no special taxes in WA, and while not the most gun friendly state, it is certainly not the bad, case in point you have Mega Arms and Aero Precision both in WA are doing good, and the make great ARs. Oly Arms has had a rep of producing mediocre rifles for some time, and when they were one of the few budget AR producers they did ok. Now you have several good budget ARs out there that are of good quality, (look at the budget Colt, Smith & Wesson, etc.) that sales for Oly Arms just inevitably started to drop off.

Divemaster
01-28-2017, 16:17
I live fairly close to Olympic Arms. Back around 1990 a bunch of us 1st Grp guys bought 18 of their AR kits (they looked like Vietnam era CAR-15s) and built them in the team room. We did have Oly put the barrels on since we didn't have the proper tools for that operation. The quality wasn't great. They also make handguns. When was the last time you ever saw one of their guns reviewed in the gun magazines? They just didn't have a great reputation for quality, I'll bet most people outside the region have forgotten they exist, and there are too many other options for everything they make.

Washington isn't that bad when it comes to guns. This is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry, and there is no mandatory training requirement (which is why so few states honor our CPL). Below is WA's version of the 2nd Amendment from the current state constitution:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

35NCO
01-31-2017, 09:15
... case in point you have Mega Arms and Aero Precision both in WA are doing good,....

This is a really solid point. I have ALOT of respect for Aero. They make some really consistent parts in my experience. My understanding is companies like theirs machine for many other companies as well. They are also a huge organization where AR15s was a side project.

Makes me think with Oly it boils back down to quality control, management, resources...general business problems.

Peregrino
01-31-2017, 12:30
----- Makes me think with Oly it boils back down to quality control, management, resources...general business problems.

Exactly. Darwin isn't just about biology. Their poor QC and indifferent customer service led them to where they are today. Now that the market is softening, I expect a lot more bottom tier companies to face the same fate. In a way, it's a pity they never realized the potential shown by their early innovations, especially in PCCs.

Divemaster
01-31-2017, 23:34
I drove past Oly Arms today. There were just a few vehicles there, workers, and no visible activity at the customer service area.