PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Steaks and Lobster

QRQ 30
01-13-2005, 14:45
I tried to find a way to post without hi-jacking the Omaha Steak thread but decided to post anew.

The perfect accompanyment to a good grilled steak is a good grilled lobster. First off let's not get into a debate of langosta vs. Maine lobster. They taste the same. Since most of my lobster grilling days were in Panama I'll be talking of langusta or cray fish as some may call them.

The only ingredients are freshly caught lobster, melted butter and fresh lemon juice mixed and a good bed of coals -- the ones also being used for the steaks. You can separate the tails or leave them on. Their is a lot of good meat in the head and body. Slit the bottom side of the tail and lay it open, leaving the shell in tact. Place on the grill with the steaks and baste periodically with the lemon butter. Don't over cook.

Now for the source. I lived in an old seaplane hanger at Coco Solo Naval Station. It was far superior to the BEQ's. Any time we wanted lobster it was just a matter of going into Limon Bay and getting some. Our favorite spot was on the other side of the bay, maybe a 20 minute drive. We had a reef triangulated about 150 M from the sea wall and 100-200-- M off of the beach. We swam out to it using inner tube floats to carry our catch. The rock was living coral about 15-20 ft. deep. It was about the size of a car and had so many antennae sticking out that it looked like a giant sea urchin. We guarded that reef jealously. We never let anyone else know where it was and never took more than we would eat that night.

One evening, the O-club decided to have a soiree in the hangar. They told us enlisted swine to keep out of sight. I got pissed and decided it was surf and turf time. We cranked up the grill and had a feast going, making sure the smoke/aroma travelled to the dance. There were drooling officers coming over all night to see what we were doing. OH!! I gorgot, a third ingredient is a good cold bottle of Cerveza Balboa! :p

CPTAUSRET
01-13-2005, 14:50
I tried to find a way to post without hi-jacking the Omaha Steak thread but decided to post anew.

The perfect accompanyment to a good grilled steak is a good grilled lobster. First off let's not get into a debate of langosta vs. Maine lobster. They taste the same. Since most of my lobster grilling days were in Panama I'll be talking of langusta or cray fish as some may call them.

The only ingredients are freshly caught lobster, melted butter and fresh lemon juice mixed and a good bed of coals -- the ones also being used for the steaks. You can separate the tails or leave them on. Their is a lot of good meat in the head and body. Slit the bottom side of the tail and lay it open, leaving the shell in tact. Place on the grill with the steaks and baste periodically with the lemon butter. Don't over cook.

One evening, the O-club decided to have a soiree in the hangar. They told us enlisted swine to keep out of sight. I got pissed and decided it was surf and turf time. We cranked up the grill and had a feast going, making sure the smoke/aroma travelled to the dance. There were drooling officers coming over all night to see what we were doing. OH!! I gorgot, a third ingredient is a good cold bottle of Cerveza Balboa! :p

When are you firing up the grill?? I am ready!

Fookin "O's". ;)

Terry

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 00:40
Best grilled lobster I ever had was made by none other than Masaharu Morimoto himself. He calls it the "eight spice" lobster. I think cumin probably was the dominant spice, but it's hard to say. Definitely was spicy and hot. I see it is now on the menu; when I had it, it was part of an omakase.

http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/