PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Steaks

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-13-2005, 09:16
I have never tried these but I am thinking about getting some sent over to my neighbor. Got to do something just to say thanks for all he has been doing for me while I am laid up. This morning, for instance, I heard the sound of an engine running and lifted myself off the bed to see him shoveling sand out of his jeep covering what has become a glacier in my driveway. Anyone had any experience with Omaha Steaks?

Jack Moroney

Sacamuelas
01-13-2005, 09:23
I send them as gifts all the time. My wife's family uses them exclusively for the filets. I personally like to eat my red meat fresh from the meat market if paying premium prices, but I do order from them every once in a while anyway.

IMO, it is a nice touch to get them in the mail from someone. Individual vacuum sealed, arrive on dry ice with a great little, very sturdy thick walled styrofoam cooler that makes an excellent reuseable camp cooler/fishing cooler.

If there is ever a delayed delivery fiasco , all you have to do is call and Omaha will resend the order out ASAP with no hassles for free. (BTDT once) It was my fault, I was out of town for the weekend and got back to find semidefrosted meat at the front door. I called and they resent even though I told them what had happened.

Hope that helps Sir.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-13-2005, 09:27
Thanks. Appreciate the input.

Jack Moroney

QRQ 30
01-13-2005, 09:31
Not really, but if you can get around, almost any Super Market has the ability to custom cut steak or any other meat for that matter. My youngest son is a meat cutter. Think of the specs you want and look around. They will also be fresh rather than frozen. My son works for Bi-Lo and they now carry the presently popular premium Angus Beef and can even get KOBE steak on special order. If you haven't experienced KOBE steak you are missing an experience.

I would think mail order or web orders would be good for delivering to someone at a distance, not next door.

Have them delivered by a girl wearing only an apron and chef's hat. :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-13-2005, 09:36
Have them delivered by a girl wearing only an apron and chef's hat. :D

That would certainly cut down and the number I would like to order as his live in will stick his Remington 1100 up his butt and blow his nuts off. :D

Jack Moroney

Razor
01-13-2005, 11:56
COL M,

On a semi-hijack, the local supermarket was selling live ME lobsters...at $12.50/lb! :eek:

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-13-2005, 12:05
That is damn near criminal. Sort of the reason why we used to bring back "lobster heines" everytime we went to Key West .
Basic equipment list always included a couple of styrofoam coolers in addition to the normal pallet of stuff.

Jack Moroney

Smokin Joe
01-13-2005, 21:25
Sir, we got a couple Omaha Steaks for Christmas. In fact I just BBQ'd the Filets last night. They are a great steak, also there sirloin tips are great for kabobs. You can't go wrong with them.

Roguish Lawyer
01-14-2005, 11:46
I received some Omaha steaks as a Christmas gift and have a bunch in my freezer. They are OK, but I agree with Saca that fresh is generally better.

If anyone is interested in sending fresh lobster as a gift, I have had very good experience making several purchases with this site:

http://www.thelobsternet.com/

Razor
01-14-2005, 15:08
Never tried those guys, RL, but we've had good luck on several occasions with Bayley's Lobster Pound (not to be confused with Cook's, on Bailey Island). www.bayleys.com Maine Lobster Direct (www.mainelobsterdirect.com) seems to have good prices, especially on their 'Can Bake' with steamers, which is the best way to enjoy a real Maine lobster dinner.

brewmonkey
01-15-2005, 10:26
I received some Omaha steaks as a Christmas gift and have a bunch in my freezer. They are OK, but I agree with Saca that fresh is generally better.

If anyone is interested in sending fresh lobster as a gift, I have had very good experience making several purchases with this site:

http://www.thelobsternet.com/

Excellent link! Being land locked like I am it is hard to find a good size live lobster. Most of the markets sell those little farm raised suckers that just don't cut it.

SP5IC
01-16-2005, 10:18
The potatoes au gratin and their stuffed sole (with crab meat) are both excellent. Occasionally, we are on the receiving end of a package, and their hamburgers are pretty good. We would not order their steaks for ourselves. We do send Omaha Steaks' gift certificates, maybe that's the better deal?

QRQ 30
01-16-2005, 10:29
You rich damn Yankees crack me up. I'm just a po ole country boy and can't remember spending $100+ on a dinner for two -- self serve at that!! :boohoo :eek: :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-22-2005, 06:56
Just an AAR-the steaks arrived and were great. Of course, as it is minus 20 degrees this morning and we are expecting another daily dump of snow (but a dry snow) the interior of the the packaging was probably warmer than the air temperature outside. That's it from the great Northern Forest this morning where the chickadees are in a feeding frenzy and all the deer are grateful that we put an extra portion of cracked corn out last evening.

Jack Moroney

STR8SHTR
01-25-2005, 17:08
Jack that is a very nice gift to give someone. I have a friend who sends me a Christmas gift every year from Omaha. It usually consists of filets and lobster tails. They are great and I look forward to that care package every year.

12B4S
01-29-2005, 23:49
Col M,
Late to this thread, but just got a mailer/ ad thing from Omaha Steaks. K, here's the deal.... (by the way it's by Invite only :lifter ) 6 (5oz) Top Sirloins marked down from 57 bucks to $29.99. ANNNDDDD 6 free (4 oz burgers) and a free 7 piece cutlery set. Limited offer. For the Col. my certificate number is free. for the rest of ya.... up for bid. :D

SP5IC
02-01-2005, 17:53
Tell them to keep the knives. They are the worst China has ever produced. I use 'em to mash olives, cuz they won't cut one.

Sacamuelas
02-01-2005, 19:52
LOL....so true about the knives.

FWIW, I use a set for a fish camp set (leave at the camp set) and also a separate set for the hunting camp. Your're right.. they suck. BUt .... they're free. I have one set left, I keep it in the kitchen so that when my wife decides to use the kitchen knives to do garden pruning or cut cardboard boxes, she can get these out. :D

12B4S
02-01-2005, 21:27
lol SP51C, that good, huh?
OK, they mash olives, good for fish and hunting camps, cause they are free and the last use Saca mentioned. My ex would grab the knives for just about anything. Screw driver, pry bar, the pruning thing not to mention occasional cultivating the soil. Having these wonders handy, thus preserving the good knives seems like the best use. She was always grabbing the good knives and usually the biggest. A scary sight. :eek: Think any of our knife making masters will weigh in on this? :D