PDA

View Full Version : Survey finds Army at a crossroads

Pete
12-11-2016, 10:37
Drew Brooks: Survey finds Army at a crossroads

http://www.fayobserver.com/military/drew-brooks-survey-finds-army-at-a-crossroads/article_1d10d6d9-6d40-5449-9bd4-6b9ef5cc029b.html

'Fort Bragg is the nation's largest military installation.

That means it is also the nation's largest repository for its most critical military equipment.

Leaders on Fort Bragg often are quick to point out that this "equipment" doesn't include parachutes, Humvees or weapons.

No, it's the service members themselves...."

You think the troops and their families aren't too happy now? What until the new troops find out they're under a 401k style retirement.

abc_123
12-11-2016, 23:35
You think the troops and their families aren't too happy now? What until the new troops find out they're under a 401k style retirement.

It's a great deal if you only want to do a few years and get out. Guys that are simply looking for some skills training, work experience and some help with funding college should be happy as hell.

Pete
12-12-2016, 00:47
But the smart guys will figure it out at 6 or 8 years out that it's time to move to the civilian sector and start working on that 401k.

The military is going to see a big problem in retention about 10 years from now.

scooter
12-12-2016, 02:32
But the smart guys will figure it out at 6 or 8 years out that it's time to move to the civilian sector and start working on that 401k.

The military is going to see a big problem in retention about 10 years from now.

Yup.

The 20 year pension isn't a reward for good work, it's a retention tool to keep people around when it stops making sense to stay in the military....around the 8-10 year mark. I told a guy from HRC a while back, when he was circulating on a pay and benefits study, that the large bonus they offered to E8s and 9s at 20 years should be given to E7s at 10 years. Most people that take the CSRB at 20 were staying anyway, and we retain guys that we probably need to trim. We lose way too many good dudes at ten years who have seen and done just about everything, the novelty has worn off, the fun factor has gone down, and all of the resume benefits are there. The wife and kids are also getting annoyed with SF. These guys can largely do anything they want, and are still young and full of fire. It costs millions to replace each one that leaves. Retaining them for ten years with $100k is chump change.

sfshooter
12-12-2016, 14:40
Yup.

The 20 year pension isn't a reward for good work, it's a retention tool to keep people around when it stops making sense to stay in the military....around the 8-10 year mark. I told a guy from HRC a while back, when he was circulating on a pay and benefits study, that the large bonus they offered to E8s and 9s at 20 years should be given to E7s at 10 years. Most people that take the CSRB at 20 were staying anyway, and we retain guys that we probably need to trim. We lose way too many good dudes at ten years who have seen and done just about everything, the novelty has worn off, the fun factor has gone down, and all of the resume benefits are there. The wife and kids are also getting annoyed with SF. These guys can largely do anything they want, and are still young and full of fire. It costs millions to replace each one that leaves. Retaining them for ten years with $100k is chump change.

Good point Scooter. I got out after 10 yrs because I was fed up with the politics. Unfortunately there wasn't any money in the Military then because of Prez Clinton.
I was only able to get one school and that was because it was a Group run schoolhouse. Waiting list for all the other good schools and training was miles long. We had more good training concepts shot down because of lack of funding.

There was an enlistment bonus into SF when I signed up (20K) but I had to be within my reenlistment window to receive it. By the time I got through the Q (one of the requirements) and was within the window they took the bonus away. More disgruntlement caused by the military..............I won't even talk about the No Pay Due that left me and my family broke for over a month.
I don't know if they have fixed any of this kind of crap or not since I've been out but I would sure like to think so considering the op tempo has been so great in the last 15 years.

Yes, the Long Tab alone is good on the resume I later found out:)

pcfixer
12-18-2016, 12:02
yep, Have to ask, Who will train the trainers?

GreenSalsa
12-19-2016, 03:31
Yup.

BINGO!

winner x 1000!

Box
12-19-2016, 08:43
the current programs are working exactly like the current crowd inside the beltway want them to work