PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving 2016


Team Sergeant
11-20-2016, 08:17
What's everyone doing this Thanksgiving? I'm making my menu up today and have not decided if I'm going frozen turkey or fresh turkey......:munchin

Sides, potato something (mashed or baked), sweet potato dish, cranberries w/Grand Marnier, lemon and orange peel, pumpkin pie w/whipped cream, broccoli something (maybe some sort of casserole) gravy , stuffing (outside the bird) & cornbread.

Nothing real fancy. ;)

miclo18d
11-20-2016, 09:01
We have stepped away from turkey for the last few years.

This year:
Huitres avec Camembert (appetizer)

Standing rib roast
Yorkshire pudding
Mushroom gravy
Potato and fennel gratin
Squash casserole
Glazed carrots
Chocolate pie
Pumpkin pie

JimP
11-20-2016, 09:33
Since we are on the road and will be in some place called Livingston Texas this coming week (have to regain our Texas citizenship and title "headquarters" here) we also don't have access to a full kitchen. Will probably make a lasagna with little-girl and some side dishes and maybe a small yard-bird for myself (I'm the only meat-eater in the family - well, me and our 210 pound Mastiff. he and i can destroy a Turkey).

You guys keep posting what ya'll are going to make and I'll live vicariously through you. :D

cbtengr
11-20-2016, 10:51
Pretty standard fare for us, my mother (81) loves to bake but lives alone so we are letting her bring her signature rolls and baked navy beans. Knowing her she will probably bring various other goodies along. We are making the turkey, dressing, potatoes and squash and pumpkin pie. It's just the three of us so we should have plenty of food. I want to wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Pete
11-20-2016, 10:57
Thanksgiving

Appears to be shaping up to a Turkey Breast and small Ham to start with.

Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie and Whipped Cream to finish things off.

I'm in charge of them. Have to get a can of cranberry sauce - I'm the only one in the family that likes it.

The wife and daughter are in charge of the sides.

Roguish Lawyer
11-20-2016, 11:03
Haven't decided yet. First decision is whether to smoke the bird or roast it in the oven . . .

CDRODA396
11-20-2016, 12:28
Crown and coke...In-laws are cooking ;)

tonyz
11-20-2016, 12:47
Wife just gave me the menu - she goes a little over board for 5 people...and I love her !

Smoked turkey breasts are from a little family farm that I shared previously on this board...FOOD COMA is the goal...they will wheel us to patio for cigars.

Baked Brie with honey and walnuts
Sausage stuffed mushrooms
Lemon garlic hummus, crackers and crudités
Smoked turkey breasts and one smoked leg for dark meat eater
Roast pork loin with apples
Stuffing with mushrooms for vegetarian
Sausage apple cranberry stuffing for rest of crew
Mashed potatoes
Roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary and garlic
Honey glazed baby carrots
Roasted brussel sprouts with shallots and balsamic glaze
Green beans with almond slivers
Shoe peg corn with butter
Home made popovers
Turkey gravy
Cranberry jelly

Happy Thanksgiving to all !

tonyz
11-20-2016, 12:49
We have stepped away from turkey for the last few years.

This year:
Huitres avec Camembert (appetizer)

Standing rib roast
Yorkshire pudding
Mushroom gravy
Potato and fennel gratin
Squash casserole
Glazed carrots
Chocolate pie
Pumpkin pie

We do the standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding and gravy for New Year's Day !

2018commo
11-20-2016, 13:28
Dinner for six, wife , son, mom and two retired nuns who live in the neighborhood. The stories told during dinner are novel material!

Turkey
Dutch oven chicken
Roasted Brussel sprouts
Roasted green beans
Roasted baby red potatoes
Sweat potato soufflé
Cranberry ambrosia
Apple pie
German chocolate cake

sfshooter
11-20-2016, 13:45
Just my son and I. I am the head cook and he's the chief dishwasher.:D

Spiral cut honey glazed ham
green bean casserole
mashed potatoes
stuffing
brown gravy
cherry cheesecake
pecan pie

Happy Thanksgiving all!

PSM
11-20-2016, 18:24
our 210 pound Mastiff.

That there is one big pup! The largest dog I've ever met was a 225 lb Malamute. Sweet dog but HUGE! His paw was bigger than my hand.

Pat

Swoop
11-20-2016, 23:11
Smoked turkey
Mashed red potatoes
Corn
Macaroni and cheese
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Cucumber salad
Dinner rolls
Apple pie
Mini pumpkin pies

and Bourbon :lifter

miclo18d
11-21-2016, 00:24
We do the standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding and gravy for New Year's Day !

:D

Were doing turkey and trimmings for Christmas

SouthernDZ
11-21-2016, 04:32
Just my wife and I this year, kids are deployed. Turkey breast and boneless ham courtesy of Honeybaked. All else is home cooking. Lots of bourbon.

akv
11-21-2016, 13:44
Smoked Turkey and Shakashuka for a new side

Dusty
11-22-2016, 00:54
Haven't decided yet. First decision is whether to smoke the bird or roast it in the oven . . .

Ditto

Trapper John
11-22-2016, 03:46
Doing the same as CDRODA396. Nice to not have to do the cooking, but it would have been very similar to Miclo18d if I did. Looking forward to some down-time with my 2-yo grandson.

craigepo
11-23-2016, 03:50
I'm going to throw a turkey in the Orion smoker. Not real sure how I'm going to rub it yet.

I have asked for a big green egg for Christmas. My friends who cook a lot all swear by them. Assuming Santa agrees, I am planning on shaking the menu up a little for Christmas.

abc_123
11-23-2016, 07:14
I'm going to throw a turkey in the Orion smoker. Not real sure how I'm going to rub it yet.

I have asked for a big green egg for Christmas. My friends who cook a lot all swear by them. Assuming Santa agrees, I am planning on shaking the menu up a little for Christmas.

The orion cooks quick and gives good flavor without drying meat out. The downside is that you won't get crispy skin/bark. I never use as much charcoal as they say to use.

Swoop
11-23-2016, 10:38
Just picked up a pellet smoker grill a couple of months ago. Love it. A little costly ($750), but couldn't be simpler to use. Fill the hopper with pellets (hickory, mesquuite, apple, etc) and turn it on. Set to smoke or temp and walk away.

Plan to smoke a 14 lb turkey tomorrow for about 5 hours.

Badger52
11-23-2016, 12:47
... cranberries w/Grand Marnier, lemon and orange peel...I like the way you think. The Mrs. adds some chunked up Red Delicious & the food processor creates a really great relish. Even though it's a regular thing up here, cranberry-anything is such a great choice as a palate cleanser.

mark46th
11-23-2016, 15:58
I'll share my wife's rice stuffing recipe. Just delicious.

1 Cup sweet Rice
1 Cup Short grain rice
2 slices onion, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
mushrooms, chopped (Optional)
8 oz pork breakfast sausage
Gizzards and liver from chicken
Chinese 5 spice to taste
Poultry Seasoning, to taste

DIRECTIONS: Rinse and cook rice. While rice is cooking, saute meat and vegetables in a wok or large frying pan. When rice is done, add rice to veggies and meat, mix thoroughly. Add spices then stuff into turkey. If there is extra, put it into a greased roasting pan, place the turkey neck on top, place in oven with turkey...

Flagg
11-23-2016, 16:00
We win! ;)

We just celebrated since it's already dinner time Thanksgiving Thursday in NZ.

Anyone ever try a Bobbie sandwich from Capriotti's?

https://www.capriottis.com

High quality roll
Roast turkey breast
Home made stuffing
Mayo
Cranberry sauce

That's what we made at home. Delicious!

Divemaster
11-23-2016, 21:02
We win! ;)

We just celebrated since it's already dinner time Thanksgiving Thursday in NZ.

Anyone ever try a Bobbie sandwich from Capriotti's?

https://www.capriottis.com

High quality roll
Roast turkey breast
Home made stuffing
Mayo
Cranberry sauce

That's what we made at home. Delicious!

Perhaps next year we can work out a deal for a more traditional Thanksgiving feast in exchange for a couple of primo All Blacks tickets. :D

18C4V
11-23-2016, 21:49
DFAC, reading this thread is making me hungry.

miclo18d
11-24-2016, 00:52
DFAC, reading this thread is making me hungry.

My apologies to you. I have eaten a few DFAC thanksgivings in my day, and one in A-Stan which was both good and sucked at the same time. The good was that in OCT we had like 4 turkeys flown in and started fattening them up; they were good, but the giant can of green beans and MRE shelf stable bread was... meh... and the CJTF Cdr visit...what a waste of time and resources.

Hopefully they do a good job with the food and that you will be with good company!

Flagg
11-24-2016, 06:13
Perhaps next year we can work out a deal for a more traditional Thanksgiving feast in exchange for a couple of primo All Blacks tickets. :D

Absolutely!

Although we better hurry, as I predicted 15 years ago, US Rugby is relentlessly moving towards the top ranking of rugby.

The US beat Argentina earlier this year, led by a former All Blacks coach!

If there's a Capriotti's near you the Bobbie is worth a go, or just making one with leftovers. It's like freedom on a bun. :)

JJ_BPK
11-25-2016, 03:48
Went to my daughters. She followed her mother's lead with the traditional: Turkey, et all.. and did a very good job of it.. I took home the carcass for soup,, and a generous helping of the veggies,, currently in the crock-pot....

I should be good for a week or so.. :lifter

Spotted this Cajun fellow,,
For those that have partaken of a Turducken,,
How about a BacGatTur??

Gypsy
11-28-2016, 13:35
We had the usual standard fare, I roasted Brussels Sprouts and sauteed shallots and garlic in some bacon fat, and topped the dish with...you guessed it... crumbled bacon!