PDA

View Full Version : Pulques Tool Kit...

Bill Harsey
01-11-2005, 21:37
I've already offered Pulque some unasked for advice on what she might consider packing for her small tool kit, as part of her medical stuff, to a place that has a lot of damage.

Just for an exercise, what would you kids tell her to pack?

ghuinness
01-11-2005, 22:04
A co-worker that was doing installations in AStan told me about an overlooked item - Diaper rash ointment.

He took a few tubes and ended up selling it for a buck-an-inch to the Brits he was working with. :)

Bill Harsey
01-12-2005, 08:25
That's something I wouldn't have thought of.

I was thinking more along the line of:

small vise grips
good quality 8 inch crescent wrench (metric of course)
small claw hammer
screwdrivers
roll of medium diameter mechanics wire
A combination wire cutter/pliers like Channel Locks Linemans Pliers can't be beat.
Duct tape, 100 MPH quality

All of the above can be tied (taped) together in a pretty small bundle and hopefully shipped with the med equipment. My choice of the above tools was to give the user a chance of rigging something out of near nothing if needed. These tools could be justified as support of the medical equipment.

Razor
01-12-2005, 09:25
A ratcheting screwdriver with 10-15 bits might also come in handy.

pulque
01-12-2005, 11:12
For the record, I don't know the difference between 100MPH duct tape and 3M electricians tape.

And Mr. Harsey is schooling me on how pliable wire is not just for making jewelry :D

Bill Harsey
01-12-2005, 11:53
This is kind of a continuance of "redneck engineering" which was a thread here some months ago.

I'd say wire would rank up on the scale if you knew you were going somewhere that "making do" was guaranteed. I want the wire soft enough (small enough diameter) that I can twist and bend it barehanded. The pliers will be used to cut and twist it tighter.

I've had a ball joint fail on a pickup coming out of the woods one night. I was going pretty slow so I didn't crash. When a ball joint fails, the front wheel will fall off, to give you an idea what kind of problem this is. I was the "last man out" that night, about 70 miles from home and no one would come looking for me until the next day. I didn't want to be late for dinner.

The mechanics wire in the tool box was good enough with a few dozen wraps to hold the lower ball joint in place until I got back to the logging shop that night. The pickup was immediately grounded until properly repaired by a real front end shop.

Absolutely NEVER repeat that but it is an example of an emergency repair with wire.

I was thinking of much simpler uses for Pulque, like wiring the metal chimney of a small wood stove in place or wiring a light or lantern up to work under.

Razors idea of the self-contained screwdriver set is a good one. Sounds like Pulque will be traveling with some equipment that may need working on, things as simple as tightening screws that have backed out due to vibration from travel can be important.

ABN-MEDIC
01-15-2005, 20:30
550 cord is something I never leave home without.

pulque
01-15-2005, 22:31
I didn't want to be late for dinner.

as good a motivation for jury-rig as I've ever heard :D

these fastening items are a great idea. thanks.

pulque
01-15-2005, 22:34
A co-worker that was doing installations in AStan told me about an overlooked item - Diaper rash ointment.

He took a few tubes and ended up selling it for a buck-an-inch to the Brits he was working with. :)

hm. I dont get it :eek:

The Reaper
01-16-2005, 10:05
For your consideration:

Shoe Goo
Crazy Glue
Leatherman Charge XTi with extra bit kit
Good Wire Saw
Hacksaw Blade
550 cord
"Spider Wire"
100mph tape
Electrical Tape
Small High Powered LED Flashlight
Dozen DL123 batteries
Photon light
Headlamp
Assorted Insulated Wire jumpers with alligator clips
Film Can or two with nails, brads, screws, swivels, tacks, washers, nuts, etc.
Leather awl with canvas needle and thread
Mini-can of WD-40
Hatchet or Roofing Hammer
Glock E-Tool
Bailing Wire
Mini-Vise Grips
Screwdriver with interchangable tiips
Short Crescent Wrench
Short Machete (purchased in country)
Sharpening stone or file
Small mirror

Kyobanim
01-16-2005, 11:33
I've seen a nylon stocking used as a field expedient fan belt. Held long enough to get to the shop for repairs. But duct tap and wire along with a "tool" knife go a long way.

ccrn
01-16-2005, 19:13

Vaseline works well for many things

Pandora
01-16-2005, 19:52
A bit off topic, but a reasonable medical note:

Diaper rash creams, especially those that are zinc-based are very gentle and soothing. Oft used for prostrate cancer patients who have been through chemo and/or radiation.

I can easily imagine that this would be very welcome and useful in a arid climate.

The Reaper
01-16-2005, 20:00
I've seen a nylon stocking used as a field expedient fan belt. Held long enough to get to the shop for repairs. But duct tap and wire along with a "tool" knife go a long way.

550 cord and duct tape works for that as well, as will rope or a leather belt of the right size.

TR

ghuinness
01-17-2005, 16:25
One more item I take most places - cable ties, in different lengths.

Always find a use !

Maas
01-17-2005, 22:14
Small extending mirror.