PDA

View Full Version : Outreach and Scouting

twistedsquid
11-07-2016, 19:05
When I was a scout, to raise money we did food drives and delivered the goods to the unfortunate, we washed firetrucks and police cars, we visited the elderly, we performed community service, we helped the poor with yard work, we washed dishes at the VF Dub, and many more. Now it seems that scouts, boys and girls, set up cookie concessions outside wall mart and largely have the parents pander to us for money. Something's wrong.

2018commo
11-08-2016, 02:03
Different Troops, Councils, Districts have their own ways. Our troop has one major fund raising event per year, a golf tournament, run by the parents. For the Scouts we run a pancake breakfast which is Scout led, and sometimes Christmas Wreath sales. The annual popcorn drive builds funds for the Scout's individual Scout Accounts which helps the Scouts pay for Summer Camp, and High Adventure trips. We also perform many Service Projects through the year including supporting Habitat for Humanity, maintenance on our Church's grounds, Labor for 4-5 Eagle projects per year and work for Scout camps we visit. We also participate in an annual food drive. Scouting is a game with a purpose, for our Scouts hard work is part of the game.

Oldrotorhead
11-08-2016, 09:41
Different Troops, Councils, Districts have their own ways. Our troop has one major fund raising event per year, a golf tournament, run by the parents. For the Scouts we run a pancake breakfast which is Scout led, and sometimes Christmas Wreath sales. The annual popcorn drive builds funds for the Scout's individual Scout Accounts which helps the Scouts pay for Summer Camp, and High Adventure trips. We also perform many Service Projects through the year including supporting Habitat for Humanity, maintenance on our Church's grounds, Labor for 4-5 Eagle projects per year and work for Scout camps we visit. We also participate in an annual food drive. Scouting is a game with a purpose, for our Scouts hard work is part of the game.

I will always buy the lousy popcorn as long as the Scout comes to my door and knocks. If his parent is with him that's fine. I do the same with Girl Scout cookies. In short if the kids put forth the effort I'm willing to buy. Personally I'm not a fan of food drives, or group ambushes out side of local stores.:D

VVVV
11-08-2016, 11:50
When I was a scout, to raise money we did food drives and delivered the goods to the unfortunate, we washed firetrucks and police cars, we visited the elderly, we performed community service, we helped the poor with yard work, we washed dishes at the VF Dub, and many more. Now it seems that scouts, boys and girls, set up cookie concessions outside wall mart and largely have the parents pander to us for money. Something's wrong.

How do food drives, visiting the elderly, community service, helping the poor with yard work, etc., raise money?

I can't remember ever having fund raising drives, during my years in scouting (cub & boy). For what purposes are fund raising drives needed?