PDA

View Full Version : light for shotgun?

Brush Okie
10-15-2016, 19:39
I have a mossberg 590 12g shotgun that i keep around the house for home defense. Also when I go camping I take it with me for critters aka mountain lions etc.

I put a picitanny rail on the weapon at the front part of the magazine forard of the slide and behind the bayonet lug. It wraps around the magazine so I can mount it below or to either side of the magazine. I would not use the light around the house. MTT-TC does not call for it here. What is a good enough light for what I am looking for without breaking the bank? I usually carry OO buck or Brenneke Rottweiler slugs. The slugs are used mostly outdoors but I have them in a speed feed stock at home.

:munchin

Team Sergeant
10-16-2016, 01:01
light for shotgun?

I have one for home defense. Personally I like the fact it's "my" house and I can move in the dark without impediment.

No light for me.

That said, I will yell "Leave or die!!"

That is only to ensure that it's not friendlies that entered. ;)

Brush Okie
10-16-2016, 17:12
The light is for camping only. I have had a mountain lion try to come into camp at night before, my dogs kept it out and warned me. I am looking for something lightweight, longinsh range and not to expensive. I thought about old school duct tape and hose clamp on a mag light but I am sure there are better set ups out there.

As far as the house goes I am the boogy man in the dark. No light needed.

Team Sergeant
10-16-2016, 19:32
The light is for camping only. I have had a mountain lion try to come into camp at night before, my dogs kept it out and warned me. I am looking for something lightweight, longinsh range and not to expensive. I thought about old school duct tape and hose clamp on a mag light but I am sure there are better set ups out there.

As far as the house goes I am the boogy man in the dark. No light needed.

You're going to need a really big light to see past a certain range. Most gun lights are for fairly close work.

Brush Okie
10-16-2016, 20:46
That is what i was thinking so I might go with the redneck engineering solution

Silver Eagle
10-17-2016, 06:56
I have an Insight WX150. It lights things up real good to 25 yds and out to 50 yds you can iidentify what you are looking at.

frostfire
10-17-2016, 08:42
Th I am looking for something lightweight, longinsh range and not to expensive. .

with the latest technology, you can get get both for less than$100.

Paul Howe's gear preference:
Fenix UC35
Fenix PD35 TAC
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/recomended_equip.htm

I have a similar model, I can look the 11th floor roof and illuminates the entire ceiling, or 100 yards across the street and illuminates someone's bedroom!

For redneck engineering solution, play with drill and combination of bolt and nut and a generic flashlight mount. I can mount mine virtually anywhere on my shotgun, rifle, compound bow, forearm :D, etc.

Streck-Fu
10-19-2016, 21:01
TLR-1HL or TLR-1HPL.

The HL is great indoors or for moderate distances and HPL is is more ideal for long gun engagements. I hold the opinion that all defensive guns in a home shouls have a light.