PDA

View Full Version : Regarding age, skills, and REP 63

Lactose
09-30-2016, 21:28
Greetings Gentlemen,

I am a 31 years old student currently working on my MS degree, interested in computer engineering. I have always wanted to serve my country that has provided to me so many opportunities, for which I am very grateful. In my opinion, I could not think of a better way to usefully apply my language skills in the US military other than to have the honor and privilege to join the ranks of the United States Army Special Forces in the future.

I have done my research as best as I could, however I will appreciate some clarification on the following:

*Regarding age, I have read on these forums that if your age requires a waiver, you have no place in the SF community unless you have a set of skills that you can offer for the team. I am proficient in four languages, which are: Pashto, Dari, English, and Urdu. Realistically, will I have a solid chance for a REP 63 contract for a position in the National Guard??

*For a non-prior service applicant, the age limit is 35. If/when I decide to pursue this path, is it best to wait and finish my MS degree and then apply before I reach 35?

*This is a question beyond '25 meters target', but I believe it is worth asking; as a candidate who is proficient in several languages, are you still obligated to go through the language phase?

Thank you for your time,

Lactose

SF-TX
10-01-2016, 07:34
The older you get, the more difficult the path.

TrapperFrank
10-02-2016, 09:34
There is a short window of opportunity to be an asset on a team. If this is what you want to do and are serious about it, either defecate or get off the pot.

Lactose
10-03-2016, 20:34
SF-TX:

I will keep that in mind. Thank you for your comment.

TrapperFrank:

Understood, thank you. It is just that I already started my MS degree program, and I think it is a tough decision to leave the program unfinished.

Astronomy
10-04-2016, 21:18
It is just that I already started my MS degree program, and I think it is a tough decision to leave the program unfinished.

That's completely understandable. However... SF life is about tough decisions.

There's hardly an academic program in the land that won't be there years (or decades) from know. At which point you'll be able to apply earned military educational benefits towards attainment of said sheep skin. As many SF guys have done. I've known folks who completed doctorates & masters while on active duty SF assignment.

Perhaps you're like one of those middle aged guys that occasionally manages a walk-on to a pro sports team. Perhaps you can rapidly obtain that degree and still hang tough through the mental/physical challenge of trying out for Special Forces. But every BTDT here is going to advise you to tackle SF now... and the degree later. That's a clue.

The accessions program is already tough. And it's even tougher for most older candidates.

You have a choice to make. You either want to be SF, or you don't. Priorities.

18C4V
10-05-2016, 15:54
CA NG does not do REP 63. CO NG does REP 63. I'm not sure about TX and that's for the units in 5/19th.

Dive08
10-05-2016, 21:29
To answer your question - no youre not obligated. You can test out of languages. And in my experience, they encourage it so as to get you out to the force faster.

Yes you dont want to take your sweet time on getting to it, no doubt. There were a few guys in their upper 30s in the course with me. Yes they were hurting at times, and like many things, the older you are the harder it is, but its do able.

Lactose
10-07-2016, 16:18
Astronomy:

Thank you for your kindness to take the time to write a thorough response for my situation. I appreciate your experience and input, sir.

18C4V:

I did not know that California was not involved with REP 63 contracts, this was a surprise to me, thank you.

Dive08:

Thank you for your answer. I am planning to dust off my foreign languages (it is tough to maintain proficiency), however it is very helpful to know that it is possible to test out.

Joker
10-07-2016, 20:33
I'll cut to the chase from your post.

1. 31 years old
2. if your age requires a waiver, you have no place in the SF
3. I am proficient in four languages, which are: Pashto, Dari, English, and Urdu.
the age limit is 35. If/when I decide to pursue this path, is it best to wait and finish my MS degree and then apply before I reach 35?

1. If you start basic in January, you would be ~34 years old if you made it through the course and to a team. I've known MSG Team Sergeants that age.
2. You had better be a shit-hot humble stud.
3. Your version of "proficient" is different than the Army's. What makes you certain that you will be deployed to the only country/region of the world that speaks Pashto, Dari, and Urdu and not to a Arabic speaking country? Were you born and raised in Afghanistan? If not your language skills will be sort of a "Spanglish."

If you really want it, get off your ass and go get it. The older you get, the farther away the Beret gets. Best of luck.

Lactose
10-08-2016, 23:07
Joker:

Thank you very much for addressing my questions, sir.

I mistakenly assumed that I may be assigned to an area where I have language and cultural proficiency.

Your observation is correct that under normal circumstances being perfectly bilingual is rare. Fortunately, I have had interest in foreign languages, and I took every opportunity to improve these languages on my free time.

Yes, I was born in Afghanistan. I lived there just long enough to learn how to speak, read and write in two languages. You are right though, I can definitely benefit from expanding my vocabulary list (which is currently my weakness).