PDA

View Full Version : Talon Grips

TacOfficer
09-21-2016, 20:23
I used the search box and could not find any reference to talon grips.

I just received talon grips (rubber) for my G19 and G17. I'm impressed by the simplicity and perceived improvement. Especially like the way it does not add much to the circumference of the grip unlike hogue.

Anyone here have experience with them in particular, good or bad?

http://talongungrips.com/

Any input is appreciated.

Peregrino
09-22-2016, 07:22
Ultrasonic cleaners and spray solvents are no longer your friends.

The Reaper
09-22-2016, 08:13
I have them, and like them.

I did not care for the "skate tape" version, and prefer the other, less abrasive grip material.

After exposure to solvents, etc, they may eventually require replacement, but then again, they don't cost more than $20 per set.

I have not had any come off during cleaning, but I haven't put any pistol lowers or frames that I have the Talon grips on into a solvent or ultrasonic tank, either.

I think they are worth it.

TR

Old Dog New Trick
09-22-2016, 09:17
It said not to cut the finger wraps just tuck them under. I found that not only uncomfortable but continued to create small gaps between the side panel and each strip. After cutting them to length and pressing everything together I'm much more satisfied. (Rubber compound)

DinDinA-2
09-22-2016, 09:50
I prefer "Rescue Tape". Grippy enough, and thin. Not real pretty but works.

TacOfficer
09-22-2016, 09:57
I truly appreciate the feedback.

I've put them on my G19 that I use for EDC with a crossbreed holster and it also has mitigated the chaffing from the gen 4 grip

I'll consider cutting the finger straps and staying away from solvents and ultrasonic tanks. I understand how those issues would develop.

Thank you gentlemen!

:lifter

TFA303
09-22-2016, 10:48
How much do the side panels contribute to the security of your hold on the pistol, as opposed to the front and backstraps?

It seems that the sides have much less contact with my hand, but much of the effort at improving grips seems to be expended on the sides, so I well may be missing something (or holding my pistol wrong...).

The Reaper
09-22-2016, 11:09
The Talon grips wrap completely around the pistol's grip.

See the web site for pics and a better explanation.

TR

Old Dog New Trick
09-22-2016, 11:17
How much do the side panels contribute to the security of your hold on the pistol, as opposed to the front and backstraps?

It seems that the sides have much less contact with my hand, but much of the effort at improving grips seems to be expended on the sides, so I well may be missing something (or holding my pistol wrong...).

Huh? :munchin

Yes, I think you might be holding your pistol wrong, but to be honest it doesn't seem like a lot of pressure is exerted on the side panels which is why some people use additional levels of sometimes tacky or abrasive materials - like skateboard tape. Other times it's to increase the girth of the grip for a better fit - especially for those with large hands.

The front strap is largely the area where recoil control is established and the rear strap is contoured to provide a proper hand/wrist (natural) alignment. The sides fill in the gaps and provide an erea for the palm and palm heel of the support hand. Yep, it's not much.

TacOfficer
09-22-2016, 19:32
Since we are on the topic of modification, I've come across the company ATEI.
Just out of curiosity, is there a practical reason to modify the slide of a Glock 19?

I have no practical experience, just training for the contingency, but it appears a bit excessive for the purpose.

35NCO
09-23-2016, 10:05
I do not understand all the mass reduction and milling that these companies are doing to slides. To look cool? Race gun? It really messes with durability and allowing more grime and dirt to get into the gun. Cutting up slides is reasonable for show and competition I suppose (insert list of engineering problems), but I would not want to change my EDC that much.

For grips, I either use the good old bicycle tube cut as a band, or if a polymer frame I will (carefully) stipple with a soldering iron.

I have used grip tape on 1911s and M9s without a front strap before and had some success. It was a nice retrofit that was removable and also fit under the native grips edges for a clean look. They don't last very long though.

Patrin
09-24-2016, 11:07
I truly appreciate the feedback.

I've put them on my G19 that I use for EDC with a crossbreed holster and it also has mitigated the chaffing from the gen 4 grip

I'll consider cutting the finger straps and staying away from solvents and ultrasonic tanks. I understand how those issues would develop.

Thank you gentlemen!

:lifter

TO, the talon grips are a good product, but like anything that 'sticks', they will peel eventually. In the summer heat of FL, with sweat constantly on the talon grips, they simply haven't lasted for me, and nor has 3M skateboard tape.

With spray solvents for cleaning, I don't know how it can be avoided.

I don't shoot Glocks, but I love the Gen 4 texture and it's tackiness. Great all weather grip.

With my HK's, I've turned to stippling, silicone carbide (where appropriate) or these for when comfortable carry is a concern (deep concealment); http://gearward.com/collections/frontpage/products/gripbands

TacOfficer
09-24-2016, 18:20
No. 1 I would love to have an HK. But alas my department is only authorized striker fired pistoles from glock, Springfield and S & W. not a happy camper about that. I have a Sig P220 DAK that I was able to have grandfathered in, but da/sa is a no go.
Give me a moment while I finish crying.....Ok I'm better now,

No 2. As for the Talons, been using ever since I've got them and they seem to mold more so to the grip. Winter is coming to the north, and I don't expect heat to be an issue for the next 9 months. 😀

I will keep an eye on them, but in the mean time the cost/benefit appears reasonable.

TO

Redwood
09-24-2016, 21:48
I have the rubberized Talon grips on my Glock 19 (3rd gen) and on my M&P Shield. I carry the Shield daily about nine months out of the year and I'll transition the Glock in during the slightly cooler months when I can dress in heavier clothing (Florida).

While I do really like the increased tackiness that the grips provide and that it does not cling to my clothing, or irritate my skin like the sandpaper ones surely would, I've noticed that after only a short amount of time, the pieces around the backstrap are slightly peeling off.

I can press them back on and they stay for a bit, but they peel again a short time later. It hasn't peeled enough that it's really become a problem with gripping the firearm, but it's a bit annoying. I've been meaning to add adhesive to the pieces, but haven't done it yet.

In fairness, the weather causes a swamp of sweat that must shorten the lifespan of the grips. Additionally, while I rubbed the pistol grip down with lots of alcohol, I should have used a brush to really get the alcohol in all the cracks and crevices.

For the price, not a bad product at all. I didn't expect a permanent solution without needing a replacement, but I think in less hot weather and with better prep before install, the Talon Grips would last longer.

I've also used Agrip in the past and liked the feel a lot, but it is also far from being permanent.

Old Dog New Trick
09-24-2016, 22:21
Have you tried or did you use a hair dryer or heat gun per the instructions? Not much mind you it's a plastic gun but I found that it improved the stickiness of the grip to gun surface.

Patrin
09-25-2016, 16:29
No. 1 I would love to have an HK. But alas my department is only authorized striker fired pistoles from glock, Springfield and S & W. not a happy camper about that.TO

TO, I was a long-time lover of DA/SA...P229 .357SIG...but I've jumped whole hog on the HK VP9. If you can get your department to authorize it...well...you could be carrying the finest striker fired gun currently made.

I don't say that out of hand...between my 4 specimens...not a hiccup, tic, or oddity...just well built pellet launching machines. The trigger is absurdly predictable.

The only weak spot is the grip texture. Get that right, and I don't know how one does better.

Redwood
09-26-2016, 19:15
Have you tried or did you use a hair dryer or heat gun per the instructions? Not much mind you it's a plastic gun but I found that it improved the stickiness of the grip to gun surface.

I did use the hairdryer and pressed down hard to make sure everything was properly adhered to the surface. For the first couple of months, it stuck really well.

Based on my experiences thus far, I don't regret purchasing them and I think they can be pretty easily remedied by applying a bit more adhesive here and there.

sfshooter
09-27-2016, 19:09
Since we are on the topic of modification, I've come across the company ATEI.
Just out of curiosity, is there a practical reason to modify the slide of a Glock 19?

I have no practical experience, just training for the contingency, but it appears a bit excessive for the purpose.

I've been looking at modifying my Glock 17 with millings on the forward portion of the slide....nothing extreme though, it is for gripping purposes as I am working on using Frank Proctor's method of slide manipulation....here is a good explanation from him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw8cWNj3qQ4

If you go to his website his slide mods aren't that extreme. There are definitely some outfits out there who get quite carried away with this!

TacOfficer
09-28-2016, 17:02
Front serrations would be very nice. I suppose that's why most other manufactures have them, HK, SIG, S & W etc. Why Glock hasn't jumped on that band wagon, I don't know.

The enhanced serrations on the rear and additions on the front would be helpful, but, I'm inclined to think that these are training wheels.

Those race guns sure are pretty though, I especially like the "The Roland Special G19".

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/the-guns-network/the-roland-special-glock-19/

But it doesn't look practical for my circumstances and the money is better spent on ammo.

The Reaper
09-28-2016, 19:06
The Talons are less than $20 per set, delivered.

At that price, try them and if you don't like them after a few days, peel them off, toss them in the trash, and wipe off any remaining adhesive.

Easy process.

TR

TacOfficer
09-29-2016, 05:28
The Talons are less than $20 per set, delivered.

At that price, try them and if you don't like them after a few days, peel them off, toss them in the trash, and wipe off any remaining adhesive.

Easy process.

TR

TR

I was referring to slide modifications as not being practical for me. Regarding the Talons I concur and will continue to buy them as needed.

TO

frostfire
10-04-2016, 12:59
As mentioned previously, can't go wrong with $20.
Having said that, I have tried talon grip and IMHOO found it wanting for these reasons, which are closer to nitpicking:
- The talon grip does not cover the crease of palm (thumb to index finger) area, which is a very crucial area for consistent grip which translates to consistent sights or "pistol version" of NPOA. Try one hand rapid with and without additional friction in that area and I believe you will come to the same conclusion
- The talon grip covers the "unnecessary parts" with aggressive texture i.e. on the sides of the grip. Try getting a perfect sight alignment, close eyes, do trigger reset, squeeze and see if the sights still perfect. The interaction between grip and aggressive side texture hinders that process. At least in my experience nerding out this point via zillion dry fire. Front and back (and crease) are the major areas for increased friction. The XD mod 2 grip follows this train of thought.
- I can get skateboard tape for $5 and cut it to the same exact pattern of talon grip, or to my exact specification. It lasts just about the same time, with the talon grip lasting a bit longer. A year with light use, a few months with frequent use. I dont feel burdened by the need to change as I use the time to perform closer inspection.

As far as front serrations, I also put thin tape near muzzle for that loading and press check method. Frank Proctor is the man. His movements looks so smooth it seems slow until you check out the timer!

That tape may interfere with regular holster, but I use advanced holster mini concealment holster
http://advancedholster.com/products/mini-gl-1 (best place to get from John at ShooterSupply). So the aggressive texture never interact with the holster itself. I also found that instead of the old fully clear the holster before orienting the muzzle to threat, I can pivot the muzzle out resulting in consistent sub 0.8 second from concealment (untucked t shirt, 3 to 7 yards, shoot from retention) to a hole in torso.