PDA

View Full Version : New multipurpose enhanced handgrenade

mojaveman
09-18-2016, 09:50
Engineers at Picatinny Arsenal are working on the first new lethal hand grenade in more than 40 years which is designed to give greater flexibility to the warfighter.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/09/new-us-multipurpose-enhanced-hand.html

SF_BHT
09-18-2016, 10:08
Seems more complicated than it needs to be. Another do it all piece of shit that does nothing right. If you need more umph make a satchel charge.

Wait until a night opn goes bad because someone set the grenade to the wrong setting and friendly's get hurt and or killed.

The Reaper
09-18-2016, 10:37
Remember the impact detonated version of the M-67? Yeah, that bright idea didn't last too long either.

We already cannot afford soldiers and ammunition. I would like to see how much this techno toy is going to cost us.

TR

sfshooter
09-18-2016, 11:28
Wait until a night opn goes bad because someone set the grenade to the wrong setting and friendly's get hurt and or killed.

That was my thought as I read the article, keyed up Joe sets the wrong setting as they bust in to a room thinking they are going to bang it.....bad juju for the good guys!

MFF3705
09-18-2016, 13:30
Belgian mini-frag is still out there......

The Reaper
09-18-2016, 14:07
Belgian mini-frag is still out there......

Dutch.

TR

PSM
09-18-2016, 15:13
when the MK3A2 concussion grenade was taken out of service in 1975 due to an asbestos hazard

LOL! It's a fricking hand grenade for gawd's sake!

Pat

blue02hd
09-18-2016, 15:33
Advances in modern technology will now allow our future soldiers to throw this grenade from either hand. Evidently these brainiacs have never heard of making the M 67 ambidex simply by holding it fuze down??? What do these people get paid again?

SF_BHT
09-18-2016, 16:50
When I worked in the nuclear industry there were lots of engineers around. I swear to god they could do nothing simple. They found the most complex solutions for the simplest problems.

Being left handed I never had a problem tossing a M-67. Guess I was to dumb to know I had a right handed grenade. Want to improve range? Add a lavaer aka stick like the Germans did in WWI over 100 years ago.

You do not need some stick to get range. Ever seen one flung from a wrist rocket. They really fly. We could fling them so they air burst:eek: bet they can not find that in some manual:p

rubberneck
09-18-2016, 18:15
LOL! It's a fricking hand grenade for gawd's sake!

Pat

It's still hazardous to the people who have to assemble them.

Basenshukai
09-18-2016, 18:50
But, does it have Bluetooth?

PSM
09-18-2016, 20:35
It's still hazardous to the people who have to assemble them.

Probably, but at that time there were munitions made with much more hazardous materials. And there still are. ;)

Pat

Razor
09-18-2016, 22:11
But, does it have Bluetooth?

Yes, it broadcasts a continuous "f-you f-you f-you f-you" to all BT devices within a 25m radius from ignition to detonation. :D

Basenshukai
09-19-2016, 20:50
Yes, it broadcasts a continuous "f-you f-you f-you f-you" to all BT devices within a 25m radius from ignition to detonation. :D

LOL! That's funny right there.

MAB32
10-05-2016, 12:37
I see it as a weapon that is in need for a use. A grenade, depending upon classification, performs its intended use as designed to it's maximum performance. For instance and M-18 does its job well as it was designed to do. The old AN-8 did its job very well and has been replaced by a less superior designed M-83. The M26 did its job better than the old Mk.2 and so on and so forth. Multipurpose grenades do not usually end up performing any one function better than a single purpose designed grenade.

I see potential problems for this type of grenade starting with its fuze. The fuze bothers me because it is electronic and electronics can be very sensitive. For instance, If I were to walk under high tension wires or doing a nighttime raid on a hydroelectric dam or a power plant would the residual voltage cause my fuze to go off or become inert? It would make me think twice about doing it with these grenades. Also, I'm not buying their design and its so called versatility especially a no spoon design. Also, what will extreme temperatures do to this type of fuze? In my studies of grenades from around the world I have yet to find a single nation that still uses electronic fuzes. I am thinking that this design of fuze might be on similar pars with the old fuze seen on the M-25 series of CN/CS grenades whereby you keep the fuze pushed down with your thumb until it is thrown. The fuze is then activated by mechanical pressure (spring) to arm. The fuze is OK in a Chemical munition but a lot could go wrong on a lethal fragmentation grenade.

IMHO, the only thing that needs to be fixed on the newest model of the M67 might be to switch from an all metal grenade with fixed fragmentation (scoring) on the inside to a polymer based body with integrated steel balls of various sizes depending on what the end user would see fit for max pattern. The "Max Pattern" of fragmentation would be done under controlled and real field use experiments. The fuze can stay the same metallic material w/metallic spoon.

The only switchable fuze I have seen (I own an INERTED version of the live one) would be the Czech URG 86. It had an actual mechanical flip switch with back-up delay built inside. From what I have heard from the Czech Republic it worked well.

Oh, and by the way, the Mk.3A2 was a great grenade. I am almost positive that history has yet to record a user sitting around somewhere in combat sniffing the grenade or getting Mesothelioma from its use.

Again just IMHO.