PDA

View Full Version : Former Navy SEAL on Bin Laden raid to forfeit earnings from book

mojaveman
08-20-2016, 23:04
A former U.S. Navy SEAL who was on the mission to kill Osama Bin Laden and who later authored the book titled "No easy day" has been ordered to return seven million dollars in earnings to the U.S. Government for violating non-disclosure agreements.

Ouch!

http://bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37142801

scooter
08-20-2016, 23:16
You mean a member of a classified special missions unit with an enduring responsibility to protect information surrounding his unit's mission, methods, and activities isn't allowed to make money by forsaking that responsibility for personal gain?

Jesus..... if you can't make a buck at the expense of your teammates, I'm not sure why we even do this.

blue02hd
08-21-2016, 06:08
This reminds me, Bergdahls book should be coming out soon right?

ddoering
08-21-2016, 06:35
If I was him I would appeal to Hillary.

mark46th
08-21-2016, 08:30
If I was him I would appeal to Hillary." DDoering

Nah, if he went to Hillary, he would have to give her the $7 mil. I'd go to Comey and Lynch. They seem to have a habit of not holding people responsible.

Divemaster
08-21-2016, 10:30
This is the same guy who whined about not getting any benefits after leaving the military a few years shy of a 20-year retirement, right? I wonder how much of the money he blew on cars an hookers. Try getting that back. I hear Walmart is hiring veterans.

Divemaster
08-21-2016, 10:33
You mean a member of a classified special missions unit with an enduring responsibility to protect information surrounding his unit's mission, methods, and activities isn't allowed to make money by forsaking that responsibility for personal gain?

Jesus..... if you can't make a buck at the expense of your teammates, I'm not sure why we even do this.

For the chicks. Haven't you been to a bar in Virginia Beach?

Team Sergeant
08-22-2016, 07:31
A former U.S. Navy SEAL who was on the mission to kill Osama Bin Laden and who later authored the book titled "No easy day" has been ordered to return seven million dollars in earnings to the U.S. Government for violating non-disclosure agreements.

Ouch!

http://bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37142801

It's amusing that of all the books written by former SEAL team six and 1st SFOD-D members they only go after the SEALS.

I can only imagine SEAL team six members NDA is worded different than other Special Operations units.

What happens behind the fence stays behind the fence, (unless you're a SGM or Cpt, Maj, LTC or COL, then it's OK)

And the classifications do not even apply to United States politicians.

Sohei
08-22-2016, 07:34

Those tools are quickly becoming my heroes. They are paid a great salary, have awesome benefits, and don't have to play by any rules other than their own. Sounds like Uptopia. :rolleyes:

alelks
08-22-2016, 10:11
And the Snowden movie trailer is showint in the theathers as we speak. Just saw it a couple of days ago. Grrrrrr

Basenshukai
08-22-2016, 11:47
It's amusing that of all the books written by former SEAL team six and 1st SFOD-D members they only go after the SEALS.

I can only imagine SEAL team six members NDA is worded different than other Special Operations units.

What happens behind the fence stays behind the fence, (unless you're a SGM or Cpt, Maj, LTC or COL, then it's OK)

My understanding is the regardless of the rank of the person doing the "writing" (most use ghost writers), the sticking point is getting the book reviewed by DoD prior to release. Is everyone else is doing this without getting their writings cleared first? If so, then I agree with you.

Team Sergeant
08-22-2016, 12:07
My understanding is the regardless of the rank of the person doing the "writing" (most use ghost writers), the sticking point is getting the book reviewed by DoD prior to release. Is everyone else is doing this without getting their writings cleared first? If so, then I agree with you.

You're mixing apples and oranges.

Special Forces is an "unclassified" unit. Books are written, reviewed, all is good.

Other units in Special Operations are "classified" and you sign NDA's as soon as you join stating you do not discuss the "classified" unit.

Pretty black and white to me. Seems the only ones that dare write books about "classified" units and get away with it are their "leaders".

Go ahead and read one of the "classified" units NDA's and tell me it's ok to write "anything" concerning the unit.

I stand by what I said/posted earlier.

frostfire
08-22-2016, 12:23

I guess I am naive afterall. I spent two years+ (and some more) undergoing arduous clearance process, multiple polygraphs, usw. When my security manager explained the above to me, I felt I have p...a....w....n... written on my forehead :(:boohoo

Basenshukai
08-22-2016, 20:02
You're mixing apples and oranges.

Special Forces is an "unclassified" unit. Books are written, reviewed, all is good.

Other units in Special Operations are "classified" and you sign NDA's as soon as you join stating you do not discuss the "classified" unit.

Pretty black and white to me. Seems the only ones that dare write books about "classified" units and get away with it are their "leaders".

Go ahead and read one of the "classified" units NDA's and tell me it's ok to write "anything" concerning the unit.

I stand by what I said/posted earlier.

I really have not cared too much about this to look into it. I'll take your word for it.

SF_BHT
08-22-2016, 20:25
Signed a few NDAs. Not going to discuss just like TS said. All I can do as I see others write, tv interviews etc is just shake my head and wonder how they get away with it.

I have never wanted to do what they do because I gave my word when I signed and all you ever have is your honor and your word.....

mojaveman
08-22-2016, 22:27
Seems the only ones that dare write books about "classified" units and get away with it are their "leaders".

No disrespect intended but I've always wondered why the founder and first commander of the Army's top secret Tier 1 counter-terrorism unit wrote a book about it.

Old Dog New Trick
08-22-2016, 22:46
No disrespect intended but I've always wondered why the founder and first commander of the Army's top secret Tier 1 counter-terrorism unit wrote a book about it.

The pay sucks!

Basenshukai
08-23-2016, 04:30
The pay sucks!

I'm speculating here, but their first mission's tragic conclusion had a lot of folks up on "The Hill" and in the Pentagon washing their hands of the thing and potentially throwing the good colonel under the proverbial bus. Hearings were called on the whole thing and the existence of the unit itself was not truly a secret anymore (I know, I know... It was still "classified"). I think the old man was just trying to tell his side before he left us.

Team Sergeant
08-23-2016, 11:13

I know what book you're talking about, I think the title was "Me, Myself and I" I met the man, read his book and after reading threw it straight into the trash.

To answer your question, Money and Fame.

Will never read another one (concerning "classified" units).

Team Sergeant
08-23-2016, 16:24
My understanding is another person from that unit wrote a book a few years ago about it, and is not welcome in the gatherings. Is that true or rumor? If true why to the SEAL's not give the same treatment to their own? I realize the cultural difference of the two units but seems like an NDA is an NDA. I know what mine said and it very clear. STFU or else. I wasn't even in a tier unit.

I guess he got a lot of money and even a TV program from the book. I can not speak to the accuracy of the book, but I wonder why he was not called on the carpet.

Anyone that writes a book about that "classified unit" is considered persona non grata. It's just a slap on the wrist to let them know its very poor character to use your time in that classified unit for personal & financial gain, and betraying the rest for breaking the code of silence. As I said before, only the SGM's and above have "profited" from their time in the classified unit.

CAARNG 68W
08-23-2016, 16:35
For the chicks. Haven't you been to a bar in Virginia Beach?

"Story Checks Out", as we say on reddit. If it's to pick uo chicks I suppose it's OK. :rolleyes:

And the Snowden movie trailer is showint in the theathers as we speak. Just saw it a couple of days ago. Grrrrrr

Saw those two bastards, Snowden and Stone. I wonder if Snowden's "military career" will be properly explained.