PDA

View Full Version : Training

QRQ 30
01-08-2005, 13:01
I hear that a General is now in Iraq to evaluate the training and need for training if the IDF.

This can be said of many things but it is all in the delivery and attitde. You hear many stories of how sorry the SVN army was. The truth of the matter is that were ethnically and culturally the same as the North so you can't blame it on genetics. Our VNAF (Kingbee) pilots were among the best of any nationality. Some or our RT's were vietnamese (IIRC AM's team may have been). They performed admirably. I know Pappy Webb's team was VN and it was one of the most aggresive and effective teams in Kontum.

We hear of the Iraqi but I wonder how many SF trained units are llacking. One of the first things taught in Training Group was, and probably still is establishing rapport with the troops. This isn't done by taking a superior," I'm here to save your ass'\" attitude rather than a " let us assist you attitude".

It would be interesting to see how the "sorry" Iraqi troops were trained, and the attitude of their instructors.

NousDefionsDoc
01-08-2005, 13:14
Terry,
I can tell you what I have seen from persnal experience down here. Those lessons so painfully learned are not capturing in the hard drives of some of the younger troops I have seen. I would imagine this has always been the case to some degree or other.

I have seen young SF troops not have a clue as to the differences and how to deal with them or even make the effort.

I have seen them not know and not care about the history and difficulties of the units they are attempting to train. Not know or care about the cultural mores, morals and taboos that prevent them or allow them to be successful.

Perhaps successful UW/FID is a calling and not everyone can do it. The more mature guys seem to be more tolerant and therefore more successful.

I agree, it would be very interesting to see how the training is done.

Lollypop sticks hangin' out the mouth is no way to conduct training in my book.
A RS type exercise should be part of ongoing training programs.

The Reaper
01-08-2005, 13:41
I would add that IMHO, Gary Luck is not your typical General Officer.

TR

504PIR
01-08-2005, 22:05
Gary Luck is "no-shit, out-f$%kingstanding leader"! I would follow him to hell, just for the sheer pleasure of getting to hang out with him.

just my.02