PDA

View Full Version : Beheadings etc.

NousDefionsDoc
01-08-2005, 00:26
seemd to have either slowed way down or stopped. Wonder why?

Smokin Joe
01-08-2005, 00:41

Maybe because it didn't produce the expected out come (having the U.S. backoff/ out of Iraq)? Plus POTUS got re-elected?

Martin
01-08-2005, 04:21
Perhaps the activities were mainly organized or carried out in Fallujah, which is now crowded with coalition forces?

QRQ 30
01-08-2005, 08:04
Had one just today!!!

As abhorrent they are I just watched two current movies with beheadings: Hidalgo, and Wind Talkers. I think of even children's tales (Western) where the wicked King or witch shouts "Off with his head!!" The Vietnamese (North and South) as well as Cambodes dabbled in the taking off of heads.

It's not as rare as we would like to think and not confined to the Islamics.

The first case I can personally remember was my TAC in Training Group, Sgt Grogan. He was beheaded in RVN and his head mounted on a pole in a village for display. :(

lrd
01-08-2005, 08:24
Had one just today!!!(
I was just reading about this:

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,143750,00.html

mffjm8509
01-08-2005, 09:59
The terp that was beheaded worked on our FOB, not for me but close. Bastards pulled him out of his house and did it in front of his whole family.

Its really pretty commonplace over here, just when its done to a local national it dont make news in the US.

mp

Anakin
01-23-2005, 14:21
I saw a report yesterday that 2 Iraqi's were beheaded on a sidewalk on a busy street in Ramadi. There was also video clips on ogrish.com (horrible site).

It seems like they're executing more and more Iraqi's, which makes me wonder, will this kind of behavior make the local Iraqi population want to help the US more? Or do they see the victims as traitors to Iraq by helping US forces?

hoepoe
01-23-2005, 14:36
Is it only me, or do the victims seem overly sub-servient, even drugged prior to being killed?

Hoepoe

mffjm8509
01-24-2005, 00:50
Is it only me, or do the victims seem overly sub-servient, even drugged prior to being killed?

Hoepoe

I agree, at least the Iraqis being executed. We have observed several propoganda CDs over here and that is a great similarity when locals are being executed. Vastly different from the Nick Berg clip, or other foreigners. Wether it is beheading or being shot, many of these individuals appear complacent, or acceptant of what is happening to them.

I wonder if this is cultural. This is also their reaction to someone bursting in their door at 3am. In the US, I'd expect more resistance. Just watch an episode of COPS and see how many people allow unresisted entry. Not the same thing over here....

mp

hoepoe
01-24-2005, 02:02
I agree, at least the Iraqis being executed. We have observed several propoganda CDs over here and that is a great similarity when locals are being executed. Vastly different from the Nick Berg clip, or other foreigners. Wether it is beheading or being shot, many of these individuals appear complacent, or acceptant of what is happening to them.

I wonder if this is cultural. This is also their reaction to someone bursting in their door at 3am. In the US, I'd expect more resistance. Just watch an episode of COPS and see how many people allow unresisted entry. Not the same thing over here....

mp

Hi

I tend to differ with your post, i have seen the "western" victims, who, other than the Italian right at the beginning (who was shot) just sit there, waiting, almost drugged, swaying, even the new footage on the sidewalk, the victims don;t struggle even when the knife breaks skin..not even culture could prevent that, strange indeed.

I certainly hope i will not be in a position to find out for myself, but rest assured, if i do, i certainly won;t go down as easy...

Hoepoe

NousDefionsDoc
01-24-2005, 08:11
This is also their reaction to someone bursting in their door at 3am. In the US, I'd expect more resistance. Just watch an episode of COPS and see how many people allow unresisted entry. Not the same thing over here....

I would consider this logical and understanding the ROE. There is a big difference between the Luckenback, Texas Sheriff's Department coming through your door and the 101st.

I would be very compliant if I was Hadji - best way to stay alive. ;)

frostfire
01-24-2005, 13:23

recalling from history class (or history channel)

Back in WWII, both the British and Germans bombed civilians area in hope of creating enough terror to cause the citizen to go against their own government and ask the govt to withdraw from war.
However, the effect was the opposite, after so much terror, the civilians became somehow desentized and the bombings actually galvanized their spirit to fight for their country.

Ever since civil war, no (large scale & extended) war has occured on US soil and the civilians are not used to (or desentized) to sights of war. Therefore, terror campaign works well to cause the public to rush to their phones calling their senators to pull back troops
(eg. 1993, CNN "showing" of streets in Mogadishu, Somalia).

Similarly, when the first batch of beheadings from Iraq reached US, the response was noticable. After so many times, seems like it has become another "reality show" to the public, or better, the shock/helpless feeling is starting to get replaced by strong nationalism to support the troops.
Perhaps the enemy does learn from history and wants to avoid galvanizing the US fighting spirit?

:munchin

The Reaper
01-24-2005, 13:37
recalling from history class (or history channel)

Ever since civil war, no war has occured on US soil and the civilians are not used to (or desentized) to sights of war.

:munchin

You might want to check your history.

TR

frostfire
01-24-2005, 13:53
You might want to check your history.

TR

will do, Sir

British in 1812
the Alamo/ Texas revolution
New Mexico 1916, Pancho Villa attack
Pearl harbor 1941 (EDIT: not 1940)
German submarines near US coast
Alaskan islands invasion
9/11

if any of these (or more) counts, then I admit my understanding/definition of war and US soil (and terrorism) is way off

Team Sergeant
01-24-2005, 14:06
will do, Sir

British in 1812
Pearl harbor 1940
Alaskan islands invasion
9/11

if any of these (or more) counts, then I admit my understanding/definition of war and US soil (and terrorism) is way off

You missed one and the only one (besides 9/11) I'd place with a "Terror" caveat.
I’ll giver you a hint, it happened during WWII and was before the US discovered the Jet-Stream.
TS

Martin
01-24-2005, 14:12
You missed one and the only one (besides 9/11) I'd place with a "Terror" caveat.
I’ll giver you a hint, it happened during WWII and was before the US discovered the Jet-Stream.
TS

Japanese fire balloon attacks, countered by, among other things I suppose, teams of all black paratroopers?

frostfire
01-24-2005, 14:23
TS

not much clue of this one, Sir. Had to look it up
(end of WWII...1945, US jetstream discovery....late 1944)

Well then:

- The burning of Normandie and sabotage in New York City port?
- Japanese's launching unmanned bomb carrying ballons (which travel on the jet stream across Pacific Ocean)?

back to topic
Maybe because it didn't produce the expected out come (having the U.S. backoff/ out of Iraq)? Plus POTUS got re-elected?

this is most likely the case, IMHO

The Reaper
01-24-2005, 14:51
will do, Sir

British in 1812
Pearl harbor 1940
Alaskan islands invasion
9/11

Post Civil War, remember?

You got most of them minus espionage, domestic terrorism, the one the TS mentioned, and the error in the year of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

TR