PDA

View Full Version : Park Service Denies SF Soldier Employment Due to Hearing Loss

scooter
07-20-2016, 08:16
My former senior Engineer is enrolled in Park Service training to become a Park Ranger. They just told him that due to his hearing loss, he cannot be a Park Ranger. He has minor hearing loss that is typical of any combat arms veteran, as in he has lower scores on the "Beep" test but has no functional loss of everyday hearing that in any way impairs him.

His audiologist does not concur, and was shocked by the news.

This strikes me as somewhat against Veterans hiring laws and other OPM practices.... does anyone have any insight into this? Any idea who specifically can help him with this?

I am going to talk to the CARE Coalition this morning, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share. Thanks.

Old Dog New Trick
07-20-2016, 08:51
There is an alternate "speech recognition" test available. (You are tested by talking with someone in a normal setting) Obviously he should tell them he wants to do this before they pass judgment on him.

Next step would be to get an attorney for under $200 and draft a letter of intent to sue. That right there should take care of any further discrimination against him.

Hearing aids and glasses to correct deficits are not a disqualifying requirement if brought to with acceptable standards.

SouthernDZ
07-20-2016, 10:14
If this Park Service position is civil service (GS), he can appeal under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

TWITCHY
07-20-2016, 10:55
I am a wildland firefighter (part-time) for the NPS and we have to do a physical every year, too. I have hearing loss below allowed levels, as well, but it has t been caught, yet. The other test mentioned is the Whisper Test. I plan on requesting it when my hearing loss is noticed.

Bleed Green
07-21-2016, 07:21
I have a couple of questions for you Scooter if you could. Can you post the Vacancy Announcement Number? I would be interested in knowing the job title and series so I could look up the Position Description and see what that says about hearing. I would also like to see if it is a primary LEO position as there are some way funny things going on with qualifications for entry into federal LEO positions right now.

scooter
07-21-2016, 10:03
I have a couple of questions for you Scooter if you could. Can you post the Vacancy Announcement Number? I would be interested in knowing the job title and series so I could look up the Position Description and see what that says about hearing. I would also like to see if it is a primary LEO position as there are some way funny things going on with qualifications for entry into federal LEO positions right now.

I'd have to get more info from my friend, I have all of my information second hand. It is an LEO job.

Bleed Green
07-21-2016, 12:34
I found this that helps describe the appeals process as well as gives the ranges of hearing that is their standard. Make sure your friend sees the 15 day time limit on requesting the appeal.

https://www.nps.gov/policy/RM57A.pdf

Old Dog New Trick
07-21-2016, 13:20
Well I'll be damned. Appendix B Hearing Standards pg48.

No hearing aids are permitted for NPS LEOs.

Did your Engineer Sgt already pass the initial entry exam and this is a follow up exam or was this the base examination and they said he failed to meet standards?

Either way he should as Bleed Green says file an appeal and seek a waiver for hearing if he can otherwise hear.

But I stand behind getting a lawyer because it seems to be the only way to get these pussyfooting bureaucratic managers to get off their ass.

Bleed Green
07-21-2016, 13:47
No hearing aids at all in any federal LEO slot that I know of ODNT as it would be a safety issue should they fail or batteries die etc..... But then again I came in during the time period when they gave us empty brass for ear plugs because we had no ear muffs when we qualified every quarter but that didn't have any ill effects. Operating heavy equipment, working underneath helicopters, working checkpoints and everything else has combined to deteriorate mine quite a bit.

If there is anything else that I can do to help out your friend Scooter please don't hesitate to let me know. If they appeal and get denied I would definitely make sure that the next call FPS gets is from an attorney. Most agencies these days tend to pee when they hear the words congressional inquiry and I am attorney so and so representing.....

Bleed Green
07-23-2016, 10:37
Here is a copy of the CBP standard as well Scooter so there is some basis for comparison.

Hearing
•Must have hearing in both ears
•In the frequency range of 500-2000 Hz, the deficit should not exceed 30 decibels in either ear
•At 3000 Hz, the deficit should not exceed 40 decibels in either ear
•Standards must be met without the use of a hearing aid during testing

After tentative selection, candidates must undergo a pre-employment medical examination and be found to be medically qualified to perform the position's full range of duties safely and efficiently. Any disease or condition that may potentially interfere with the safe and efficient performance of the job's duties or training may constitute grounds for medical disqualification. Individualized assessments of each person's medical history, current condition, and medical qualifications will be made on a case-by-case basis. Final consideration and medical determination may require additional information and/or testing. If medical information is recommended beyond that provided by the pre-placement examination, it is provided at the expense of the tentative selectee.