PDA

View Full Version : This Pokémon Go craze could get people dead

PSM
07-14-2016, 18:35
Over 1,000 “Pokémon Go” players per night are descending on a playground in Australia

The playground is found in a suburb of Sydney called Rhodes. As for why it attracts such a large group of players, the playground has three Pokéstops right by each other, meaning players can capture three times the Pokémon, items, and XP. But while fans of Pokémon Go love the spot, local residents are infuriated. As one person told BuzzFeed:

"The place is in complete chaos with crowds of well over 1,000 per night. There is a massive level of noise after midnight, uncontrollable traffic, excessive rubbish, smokers, drunk people, people who are 'camping' in the site, and even people peddling mobile phone chargers."

https://news.fastcompany.com/over-1000-pokmon-go-players-per-night-are-descending-on-a-playground-in-australia-4013726

When terrorists and other assorted bad guys get the hang of this game, they will be able to set up ambushes anywhere and anytime. Although the upside is that it could clean out the gene pool some.

Pat

Sohei
07-14-2016, 18:39
Although the upside is that it could clean out the gene pool some.

From the various articles I have been reading over the past several days, we (US) have already started cleaning our gene pool ourselves.

Divemaster
07-14-2016, 19:35
Not sure I see a downside.

Hand
07-15-2016, 07:38
When terrorists and other assorted bad guys get the hang of this game, they will be able to set up ambushes anywhere and anytime. Although the upside is that it could clean out the gene pool some.

Pat

I've seen a couple of instances in the news lately of people setting up fake pokewhatever places and robbing people when they show up. True? False? I don't know.

I'm happy to see that an iphone game is getting people of all shapes and sizes off of their couch, something Michelle O has not been able to do in spite of 8 years of effort and who knows how many tax dollars spent.

People in general have seemed to forget though, that trespassing is illegal regardless of what kind of pokething is over there.

Watching these people walking around bumping into things with their eyes on their phone reminds me that we are ever descending into the world of Idiocracy.

nousdefions
07-15-2016, 08:14
......descending into the world of Idiocracy.

Remember, Idiocracy was not a movie, it was prophecy....

Box
07-15-2016, 08:31
don't be afraid of the modern Idiocracy, just be prepared for it...
-there will always be a "Joe" out there that knows to put water on the god damn plants to make them grow. "be Joe"
-President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho isn't a real threat; he's just another idiot that managed to get 51.1% popular vote. The real threat are those empowered by his Idiocracy.

...be afraid of UpGrayeDD. Upgrayedd is the real threat. The person that lives above the law because he understands how to manipulate the system. He knows how to put water on plants, but he wont - not for the benefit of others. Upgrayedd preys on others - he has no reason to put "his" water on "your" plants.

HRC is Upgrayedd and Pokémon-Go is nothing more than a 6-Pack of Brawndo.

So go ahead mother fuckers... drink your Brawndo and elect Upgrayedd - then see what it gets you.

and keep on tryin' to "catch em' all"

Last hard class
07-15-2016, 10:16
Behold! America's future...

Not sure what they are looking at but I'd wager its not less than 2200 calories.

And you got what, a 6 to 8 week training program here? A real tough one. Which is perfect for me.

LHC

Ncat97e
07-15-2016, 13:43
This Pokémon Go craze could get people dead

Read:

This Pokémon Go craze SHOULD get people dead

Divemaster
07-15-2016, 15:13
The body count will begin shortly.

http://news.sky.com/story/pokemon-go-couple-threatened-at-gunpoint-10502247

Pokemon GO Couple Threatened At Gunpoint
The recently launched, hugely popular mobile app is already being blamed for a wave of crimes, traffic offences and complaints.
14:56, UK,
Friday 15 July 2016

A couple playing Pokemon GO in a small town in Australia have been threatened at gunpoint.

Police said two armed masked men held up the couple while they were at Tahmoor Park south of Sydney on Wednesday night searching for the virtual "pocket monsters".

The would-be robbers, who were carrying a rifle, fled empty handed.

New South Wales state police said there was "nothing to suggest" they had lured the 29-year-old players to the park through the app's geolocation feature.

Pokemon GO is a smartphone app of a geo-caching game that sends players to different locations - Pokestops - to collect various creatures who appear on the screen of the phone as if they were in the real world.

The popular app, which launched in Australia last week, is already being blamed for a wave of crimes, traffic offences and complaints.

In another incident, two 17-year-olds were fined for playing the game while behind the wheel in a Sydney suburb.

And Western Australia State said a patrol vehicle had to swerve to avoiding hitting a girl who was looking down at her phone while playing the game.

"We turned round and spoke to her and she said she was addicted to the game," a police officer told a local newspaper.

The force tweeted afterwards: "Pokemon is dangerous."

Australia is not the only country reporting trouble allegedly linked to the game.

Earlier this week, four US teenagers were accused of using the game to lure victims to certain locations in order to rob them.

Pokemon GO was released in the UK on Thursday after breaking download records following its launch in the US.

Sdiver
07-15-2016, 15:30
But, but, but ... I thought ALL guns and owning one was illegal in Australia? :eek:

Divemaster
07-15-2016, 16:41
How much you want to bet he won't be missed?

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/aucklander-quits-job-for-pokemon-go-2016071316#axzz4EWHRICFs

Aucklander quits job for 2 month Pokémon Go hunt
Thomas Mead
By Thomas Mead
Wednesday 13 Jul 2016 4:32 p.m.

Tom Currie just wants to be the very best, like no one ever was.
The 24-year-old Aucklander has quit his job at a Hibiscus Coast cafe to travel around the country catching Pokémon on new app craze Pokémon Go.
The smartphone game taps into 20 years of nostalgia associated with the hugely popular cartoon franchise and allows users to find digital Pokémon hiding the real world. A GPS prompts players to walk in certain directions to find the creatures and walk long distances.
"I booked busses from all the way down to Invercargill and all the way back up to Cape Reinga so hopefully I can catch some awesome Pokémon on the way," Mr Currie says.

"It keeps track of how far you've walked and I've done around 50 km so far, and that's with the actual game, walking away, slogging away."
Mr Currie has already been through Westport, Nelson, Blenheim and Kaikoura. He's collected over 700 Pokémon including a 1709 'CP' Vaporeon he's affectionately named 'Salacia'.
"I'm level 20 at the moment, which was the highest I'd seen until I came to Christchurch, there's some better players here," he says.
"I want Mewtwo, it's Pokémon number 150 [out of 151] and that is the end game for most people here."
Christchurch's Sumner Beach was the best location he's found so far with elusive southern Pokémon hiding in Dunedin, Invercargill and even Gore now in his sights.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2016, 07:00
I'm starting to understand how and why lemmings will run off a cliff, en masse.

This "Pokémon Go" behavior can also explain why millions of morons join idiotic groups/associations/cults/tribes.

I guess this is how you keep the "entitlement" crowd engaged and busy.

Divemaster
07-16-2016, 08:31
I'm starting to understand how and why lemmings will run off a cliff, en masse.

This "Pokémon Go" behavior can also explain why millions of morons join idiotic groups/associations/cults/tribes.

I guess this is how you keep the "entitlement" crowd engaged and busy.

While at the same time collecting a shit-ton of marketing and demographic data that can be sold.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2016, 11:09
From another website commenting on the video below:

"That point when.... you realise reality is actually dumber than in Idiocracy. :( "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiw4b4WqwgM

Mustang Man
07-16-2016, 11:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiw4b4WqwgM

Lmao a true zombie apocalypse. Just yesterday I was at central park and witnessed full grown men so ecstatic, as if they won the mega millions. So how do we solve this man child epidemic?

Team Sergeant
07-16-2016, 11:29
I apologize, that last video, was NOT the one about people going full retard, this one is.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPuPqObRQgc

And as I have said before, demons only attack Christians and now I have some proof....... none other than a Christian pastor telling us so! And if it's on the radio or the internet, it must be true! :D

Marlboro
07-16-2016, 17:40
I was downtown recently and ran into a couple veterans playing this game. You guys should be a little less critical on certain things. As far as I'm concerned it keeps kids busy and busy kids aren't shooting each other.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2016, 18:43
I was downtown recently and ran into a couple veterans playing this game. You guys should be a little less critical on certain things. As far as I'm concerned it keeps kids busy and busy kids aren't shooting each other.

Sheep come in all shapes and sizes........

And yeah you're right, next time I see a young adult walking into a moving railcar because she's texting, I'll hold my yell. Wouldn't want to disturb their focus.

GratefulCitizen
07-16-2016, 21:52
Back when "Doom" was new some 20+ years ago, there were modifications to the game where the monsters could be replaced with other images for your shooting pleasure.
Popular replacements included Barney the dinosaur, bill, and killary (Secret Service probably wasn't too happy about that...).

Need some mods for this Pokemon thing.
Capture "Allah-snack-bar-boom" in your poke-ball.

But you have to catch it before it evolves.
It evolves into Achmed the dead terrorist (Silence! I kill you!).

Maybe they can start putting out profit...err prophet species Pokemon.
A poke-ball would be a good place to keep him, along with some pig species Pokemon.

Any and all media forms are suitable to offend the religion of perpetual outrage.
Gotta catch 'em all!

Mustang Man
07-17-2016, 11:02
When a society denies men to be men, boys will refuse to grow up.

What's disturbing about all this is how obsessed people have become with it, but not just people but "Adults". I do have an xbox, and have no shame in powering it up on every once in a while. The difference between myself and a number of go users is I control my game and don't let my game control me.

tonyz
07-17-2016, 15:16
Lol, get your pokey mon...

New Hampshire police use Pokémon Go to lure fugitives to headquarters
Sunday 17 July 2016 13.53 EDT
The Guardian

The city of Manchester department’s Facebook post invited people to capture a rare character called Charizard in the booking area

Police in New Hampshire’s largest city are using Pokémon Go in an attempt to lure fugitives into their clutches.

A post on the Manchester police department Facebook page announced that officers recently detected one of the more rare Pokemon characters – a Charizard – in the booking area of police headquarters.

The post invited those whose names appeared on a list linked to the post to be “one of the lucky ones” to come and capture the creature. The list included the names of the more than 500 fugitives on the department’s wanted persons roundup.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/17/new-hampshire-police-pokemon-go-fugitives

Divemaster
07-20-2016, 00:42
Really, why warn them? Think of the gene pool. I dream of a new Outdoor Channel show where Jim Shockey travels the world, marvels at the majesty of the trophy Pokemon Go player in its natural habitat...then drops it in its tracks. And, in the European hunting tradition, stuffs the smart phone in its mouth. Waidmannsheil

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36841828

Bosnians playing the hit mobile game Pokemon Go are being warned to avoid straying into areas still sown with landmines from the war in the 1990s.

A Bosnian demining charity, Posavina bez mina, issued its warning after hearing reports of Pokemon Go users venturing into risky areas.

Players use their smartphones to hunt for cartoon monsters in the real world.
At least 600 people have been killed in landmine accidents in Bosnia since the end of the war in 1995.

About 120,000 mines remain undiscovered, a Bosnian demining group estimates.
As the popularity of Pokemon Go has soared, there have been numerous incidents and accidents involving gamers.

"We received information that some users of the Pokemon Go app in Bosnia were going to places which are a risk for mines, in search of a pokemon," Posavina bez mina said on Facebook.

"Citizens are urged not to do so, to respect demarcation signs of dangerous mine fields and not to go into unknown areas," it added.\

Earlier this week, two teenagers in the US state of Florida were shot at by a householder who mistook them for burglars.

The game, however, has had some unexpected positive effects: in one UK town police said players reported a theft while hunting for monsters.

miclo18d
07-20-2016, 05:12
Give it a month. When these chubby millenials they can't catch that rare Dialaga in the middle of I-495 they'll move on to the next "big thing/shiny toy"!

Heck, they opened a new Publix just a couple of miles from my house, convenient, right? I couldn't shop there for a month! Everyone wanted to shop at the brand new Publix even if it was 20 miles out of the way. A month later? Ghost town. Same with a new outlet mall down the road!

The Reaper
07-20-2016, 06:35
Chlorine for the gene pool.

TR

frostfire
07-20-2016, 17:59
While at the same time collecting a shit-ton of marketing and demographic data that can be sold.

free crowdsourcing for IMINT, and the possibilities are unlimited.

yes, it gets people off the couch and start walking too.

hmmmmm, can we give a Pokemon name/face to al-Baghdadi and bin Laden's son, then let loose the zillion useful idiots for the manhunt :D
So much potential!