PDA

View Full Version : Master Infantryman Badge

Richard
07-14-2016, 07:03
An interesting proposal to recognize those who have been awarded both the EIB and CIB which, under current regs, are not to be worn together.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2016/07/13/nco-pitches-new-award-grunts-whove-earned-cib-and-eib/87008208/

Richard

nousdefions
07-14-2016, 09:20
Great! Another pretty doodad for a gaudy uniform and another certificate to hang on the "I love me" wall.

The CIB is the EIB + passed the final exam.

Longing for the days of the sterile uniform.....

Streck-Fu
07-14-2016, 09:34
I'm no position to know so am asking a question; it appears that once the CIB is earned for being in combat, the Infantryman can take more training and, once they pass the exam, earns the EIB. Doesn't this mean that the EIB requires the CIB and is a superior award?

If the EIB does not require previously earning the CIB, I am surprised that the CIB is not more often preferred as a indicator of actual combat experience.

Divemaster
07-14-2016, 09:40
When I was an 11B and running the EIB land nav station our regimental CSM stopped by. He said a soldier had just asked why he went to Vietnam twice. The CSM told the young troop, "I was there testing for my CIB and there was only one station, Move Under Direct Fire. I got a no-go. A year later I went back to retest."

PRB
07-14-2016, 10:40
Silly

JJ_BPK
07-14-2016, 12:01
The Infantry was created to prepare for and fight wars. There are times that we have no wars, so the EIB gives a sense of well deserved accomplishment. BUT,, It is secondary to the CIB.

Our job is to engage the opponent in mortal combat and help him die for his cause.

Unfortunately, these days there is a me me me generation where no-one finishes 2nd..

My $00.000002.. :munchin

(1VB)compforce
07-14-2016, 12:01
I'm no position to know so am asking a question; it appears that once the CIB is earned for being in combat, the Infantryman can take more training and, once they pass the exam, earns the EIB. Doesn't this mean that the EIB requires the CIB and is a superior award?

If the EIB does not require previously earning the CIB, I am surprised that the CIB is not more often preferred as a indicator of actual combat experience.

CIB is not required for EIB. Most that have both will wear the CIB as it has more precedence among the Infantry (not by regulation, but by preference).

Personally I would support the Army going with only the top row of ribbons + skill badges unless in mess dress. Too many 3rd world dicatators running around in the ranks with all the "been there seen that" badges.

Team Sergeant
07-14-2016, 12:23
Should be like jump wings, takes 2 "conflicts" (we don't fight wars anymore) to receive basic CIB, 2 more Sr. CIB and then after 20 years you receive Master CIB.......

This is all the commanders have to do today, make up new medals?:munchin

Old Dog New Trick
07-14-2016, 12:34
The Infantry was created to prepare for and fight wars. There are times that we have no wars, so the EIB gives a sense of well deserved accomplishment. BUT,, It is secondary to the CIB.

Our job is to engage the opponent in mortal combat and help him die for his cause.

Unfortunately, these days there is a me me me generation where no-one finishes 2nd..

My $00.000002.. :munchin

I disagree JJ, and while you are right that it is a peacetime award for excellence in one's job as an Infantryman. My disagreement is that the EIB is something you earn by expert knowledge and effort in the MOS (11/18/19.) The CIB is simply awarded to 11-series and 18/19-series for surviving while deployed in combat. Not to take away from the award but come on, since it was created, the dumbest, weakest conscript/drafty in a rifle squad could just be lucky long enough to complete his tour and come home.

At least that's how I remember one of my CSMs explaining it to me as young SP4 who had earned his EIB.

How many returning Infantrymen have been awarded a CIB simply for being there?

Plus I think this MIB is stupid. Wear what you got and know you "earned" either one.

JJ_BPK
07-14-2016, 14:52
How many returning Infantrymen have been awarded a CIB simply for being there?

Plus I think this MIB is stupid. Wear what you got and know you "earned" either one.

This is the problem,, the CIB is turning into a BTDT..

Maybe, as other have said,, get rid of all but V's, PH, and skill badges..

I have to wonder sometimes,, I see a Pentagon GO with 6-10 rows and not one V device??

TS,
How about we propose:
CIB minimum 1 V and/or 1 PH
Senior minimum 2 V and/or 2 PH
Master CIB?? minimum 3 V's and/or 3 PH's??

(1VB)compforce
07-14-2016, 15:04
This is the problem,, the CIB is turning into a BTDT..

Maybe, as other have said,, get rid of all but V's, PH, and skill badges..

I have to wonder sometimes,, I see a Pentagon GO with 6-10 rows and not one V device??

What do you do about those Infantrymen who aren't high enough rank to get any of the higher medals? That's even more important in today's award system than it was in any of the previous conflict period. An E-4 isn't going to get a service award higher than an AAM and an E-5 an ARCOM. They could be patrolling every day for 9 months, embracing the suck and doing their job, but if they aren't "lucky" enough to run into a bad guy and have their CoC navigate the awards system to get them a valor award, they come back looking just like the cook that never left Bagram.

That was the reason for the CIB's creation in the first place. Recognize the difference between the guys out on the front lines and the people in the rear/support folks.

Personally I was just fine with wearing either the CIB or EIB but not both. (edit for clarity: I have the CIB but never tested for the EIB)

Old Dog New Trick
07-14-2016, 15:56
This is the problem,, the CIB is turning into a BTDT.

I've been out since before OEF. Didn't they come up with the "Combat Knife" award for those that weren't eligible for a CIB?

Kinda resembles the Thai SF/Ranger "Tiger with a Bowie Knife" medal. (I always wanted that one.) (Had to settle on Thai Master Parachutist Wings)

ETA: Wasn't it Von Clauswits who came up with the idea giving guys "batges" (badges) for courage under Fire?

JJ_BPK
07-14-2016, 17:00
What do you do about those Infantrymen who aren't high enough rank to get any of the higher medals? That's even more important in today's award system than it was in any of the previous conflict period. An E-4 isn't going to get a service award higher than an AAM and an E-5 an ARCOM. They could be patrolling every day for 9 months, embracing the suck and doing their job, but if they aren't "lucky" enough to run into a bad guy and have their CoC navigate the awards system to get them a valor award, they come back looking just like the cook that never left Bagram.

That was the reason for the CIB's creation in the first place. Recognize the difference between the guys out on the front lines and the people in the rear/support folks.

Personally I was just fine with wearing either the CIB or EIB but not both. (edit for clarity: I have the CIB but never tested for the EIB)

I was not aware that rank is now used for awards,, That is very sad... :mad:

FOG moment,, It was the action that generated awards, not rank, when I was in..

(1VB)compforce
07-14-2016, 17:07
I was not aware that rank is now used for awards,, That is very sad... :mad:

FOG moment,, It was the action that generated awards, not rank, when I was in..

For service awards, absolutely rank matters. Also the number of service awards received during a deployment is capped. Get a couple of achievement or impact medals and the CoC will not award a service BSM for the tour regardless of merit.

For Valor awards it's still *mostly* the action. I do know a support guy that was out with one of the SF Groups as an E-4 that was put in for a BSM w/V for actions during a convoy ambush. The BSM made it through the entire Group CoC intact but then was downgraded to an ARCOM w/V at either CFSOCC or Theatre level. No stated reason for the downgrade.

miclo18d
07-14-2016, 20:16
I earned my EIB in November of 89, three weeks later we jumped in to Panama, got CIB. (I did wear the only uniform I had with the EIB sewn on into combat! We were proud as hell to have earned that)

Became 18D and got CFMB in A-Stan.

Never got a chance to do EFMB.

Question: Can I get a "Big Bag of Dicks" medal to represent those three? :D

Divemaster
07-14-2016, 20:35
I earned my EIB in November of 89, three weeks later we jumped in to Panama, got CIB. (I did wear the only uniform I had with the EIB sewn on into combat! We were proud as hell to have earned that)

Became 18D and got CFMB in A-Stan.

Never got a chance to do EFMB.

Question: Can I get a "Big Bag of Dicks" medal to represent those three? :D

You can literally get a Bag of Dicks at Dick's Drive-In in Seattle. http://www.ddir.com/

Combat Diver
07-15-2016, 02:02
Wonder how they are going to make this Master Infantryman's Badge, can't add a star and wreath as its already been done.

http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/13/56/44/49/b1_18910.jpg

On the CAB, ever notice the similarities from the German Assault Badge and Close Combat Bar?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ee/1e/4b/ee1e4b04219216e004bbf0d2dc5bd561.jpg
http://militaria-net.co.uk/images/General-assault-badge.jpg
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/war_badges/heer/close_combat_badge/Close_Combat_Badge_Front.jpg

CD

Box
07-15-2016, 08:09
...so

In the name of diversity and inclusivity, will there be an equal effort to create a badge for those with EFMB/CFMB ?

If he badge hounds are so up in arms about displaying their ERB, why would they have tried to make a change to the reg' that kept folks from wearing CIB/CFMB

I think instead of oakleaf clusters, we should just wear another medal.
THAT would look awesome. Instead of three oakleaf clusters - BAM you just wear a shitload of ARCOMS and AAMs

....boy is this great

The Reaper
07-15-2016, 09:31
...so

In the name of diversity and inclusivity, will there be an equal effort to create a badge for those with EFMB/CFMB ?

If he badge hounds are so up in arms about displaying their ERB, why would they have tried to make a change to the reg' that kept folks from wearing CIB/CFMB

I think instead of oakleaf clusters, we should just wear another medal.
THAT would look awesome. Instead of three oakleaf clusters - BAM you just wear a shitload of ARCOMS and AAMs

....boy is this great

What about your pledge pin?

TR

Divemaster
07-15-2016, 14:57
What about your pledge pin?

TR

Is that a p-p-pledge pin I see on your uniform?