PDA

View Full Version : Newdow's latest suit

Gypsy
01-07-2005, 14:25
I guess this Alpha Charlie just doesn't know his 15 minutes were up a long time ago.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=29&u=/ap/20050107/ap_on_re_us/inauguration_prayer

Atheist Sues to Thwart Inauguration Prayer
Thu Jan 6, 8:40 PM ET U.S. National - AP

SAN FRANCISCO - An atheist who sued because he did not want his young daughter exposed to the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance has filed a suit to bar the saying of a prayer at President Bush (news - web sites)'s inauguration.

Michael Newdow notes that two ministers delivered Christian invocations at Bush's first inaugural ceremony in 2001, and that plans call for a minister to do the same before Bush takes the oath of office Jan. 20.

In a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Newdow says the use of a prayer is unconstitutional. The case is tentatively scheduled Jan. 14.

Last year, the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites) tossed the same lawsuit, saying Newdow did not suffer "a sufficiently concrete and specific injury." But the decision did not bar him from filing the challenge in a different circuit.

Newdow is best known for trying to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

He won that case more than two years ago before a federal appeals court, which said it was an unconstitutional blending of church and state for public school students to pledge to God.

In June, however, the Supreme Court said Newdow could not lawfully sue because he did not have custody of his elementary school-aged daughter, on whose behalf he sued, and because the girl's mother objected to the suit.

Newdow refiled the pledge suit in Sacramento federal court this week, naming eight other plaintiffs who are custodial parents or the children themselves.

Goggles Pizano
01-07-2005, 17:59
Could someone please lay a banana peel on this guy's front stoop! :mad:

Bill Harsey
01-07-2005, 18:48
I can't beat the banana peel Goggles, that's good.

When is this turkey going to take on United States military chaplains?

The Reaper
01-07-2005, 19:39
I think he needs some chlorine in his gene pool.

TR

Huey14
01-07-2005, 19:58
He needs a root. Then maybe he won't get so caught up in non issues.

Root= to have relations with another; often of the opposite sex.

Bill Harsey
01-07-2005, 20:05
He needs a root. Then maybe he won't get so caught up in non issues.

Root= to have relations with another; often of the opposite sex.
Old Logging term, I understood that one right away, LOL! haven't heard it used in years.

Uh, not to be old fashioned or anything but to the best of my memory this term was used to refer to relations between members of opposite sex within the same species, usually.

Huey14
01-07-2005, 23:48
It's still very common here.

I've heard it used for a gay relations, too- it's a one size fits all term here these days (no pun intended).