PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Creedmoor upper, Larue lower project

frostfire
07-09-2016, 11:55
Gentlemen,

do you know what upper brand would fit Larue 7.62 lower?
Would GA precision Seekins Precision upper fit?

I saw plenty conflicting info in my research so perhaps one of ya'll here has sucessfuly done so and provide empirical data. The final goal is to have 6.5 Creedmoor platform for PRS matches. If I'm not mistaken I can still use the 7.62 mags?

I'd like to use Larue lower to save $$$ and since it already has a fine tuned 0.5 oz trigger courtest of Bill Geissele :D

frostfire
07-25-2016, 13:37
well, did tons more research and called various companies.
So far: AR10 and Knights fit Larue 7.62 lower.
I just have to find a 6.5CM builder in armalite frame since I doubt KAC would venture there with all the military contract. If only Larue would hear the PRS crowd and make 6.5CM...

...or I can always heed one of the QP's advice here and go for bolt i.e Ruger PRs and be done with it. It's just I spent so much fine tuning that Larue lower and wish all the muscle memory would trasfer to a 6.5 CM for longer reach

The Reaper
07-25-2016, 14:11
I would avoid the Armalite lower as it ties you to Armalite mags, which are expensive and finnicky.

I strongly suspect that if the Knight's fits, any of the DPMS type uppers would fit as well, but it may vary since there are no official AR-10 specs, unlike the AR-15. Use one that takes the SR-25/DPMS type mags, like the ones made by Magpul.

You may have to experiment by trial and error. Generally, all of the AR 7.62 rifles are potentially interchangable except for the Armalite AR-10.

All you are really looking for is a barrel swap into a properly assembled precision upper, correct?

TR

frostfire
07-25-2016, 19:13
I would avoid the Armalite lower as it ties you to Armalite mags, which are expensive and finnicky.

I strongly suspect that if the Knight's fits, any of the DPMS type uppers would fit as well, but it may vary since there are no official AR-10 specs, unlike the AR-15. Use one that takes the SR-25/DPMS type mags, like the ones made by Magpul.

You may have to experiment by trial and error. Generally, all of the AR 7.62 rifles are potentially interchangable except for the Armalite AR-10.

All you are really looking for is a barrel swap into a properly assembled precision upper, correct?

TR

more of upper swap. To have a designated upper (was planning AR10) in 6.5 CM. So with same Larue lower, I have 7.62 OBR upper and a 6.5 CM semi upper.
So I definitely won't be using Armalite lower

frostfire
08-04-2016, 08:31
In my research into the subject, I found an englighting piece on AR vs. bolt in regards to PRS application....primarily on accuracy overlap between the two and correlation between group size and hit probability

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/07/22/6-5-creedmoor-ar-showdown/

also detailed look into nuts and bolts of perceived recoil
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/01/muzzle-brakes-recoil-primer-test-equipment-rifles/