PDA

View Full Version : What if I'm your teammate?

spaike97
06-28-2016, 02:09
Greetings,

I'm an international student from China and is going to join the Army and than volunteer for SF at some point(since I'm not going to be eligible for 18X)

My question is, what would you think about me, if I become the guy next to you?

I'm actually kinda afraid of asking this question but I have to face it if I'm ever going to join the military, and if I'm someone who would be afraid of facing an answer, SF is not going to take me.

I love this country just like someone who is born here. However I assume that probably 99% of people in the SF are born in the States and I just don't know what to expect if I can make the cut through SFAS and Q course.

I do understand that I need to focus on 25M targets and there are tons of other issues I need to face at this moment, I just can't put this question away.

Dive08
06-28-2016, 03:35
I am friends with a team guy who was born in China. As with many things, if you're a good teammate, no one will care.

You will have to get used to the '间谍' jokes though.

miclo18d
06-28-2016, 05:00
In the beginning, SF was made up with many Eastern European immigrants that escaped the Iron Curtain. As long as you want to be a free American and help others to achieve that same freedom, then you would be an excellent fit in SF.

My question is are you on a student visa or an immigrant visa?

Old Dog New Trick
06-28-2016, 06:36
A third of my Team was either from Southeast Asia or the South Pacific. In fact the whole Company was that way. Foreign immigrants from Asia, South/Central America, Europe both East and West and Africa make up (made up in my time) a true International culture in Special Forces.

English is often a second language to many who proudly serve as an American Green Beret.

In 1st Group "First in Asia" you'd fit right in.

Good luck with your decision, it's an important one.

Blueboy
06-28-2016, 06:50
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but an SF candidate must be a U.S. Citizen before starting the process. Since you mentioned that you're an international student, I'm assuming that is not the case. Please correct my shot group if I'm off base here.

Joker
06-28-2016, 06:54
He acknowledged that he is not elgible for 18X, but wants to come into the Army then when he c an go SF.

spaike97 if you make it through the pipeline and more than pull more than your own weight on a team where everyone pulls more than their own weight you will fit in fine.

Team Sergeant
06-28-2016, 09:37
You will not be the only foreign born individual on an A-Team (if you make it). As has been said we are very culturally diverse, probably the most culturally diverse unit in the military.

Good luck, you'll need it.

spaike97
06-28-2016, 12:27
I'm definitely going to need good luck. The program I'm looking at is called MAVNI. It basically allows those with certain cultural background and certain visas(I'm on student visa and it is accepted) to enlist in military if they have been living in US for at least two years and pass SSBI test. Once I'm in I'll just be treated like everyone else.

It is not a permanent program so it could be canceled at any second. However it is being expended this year so I guess it's not going to be terminated anyway soon. And it's out of my hands anyway so I'll just work on the things I can control(fitness, school work) at this moment.

Thank you guys for the replies, they really help.

PRB
06-28-2016, 12:50
As the guys have said it is no issue whatsoever and in many ways a plus once you become a citizen.
Your native language skills will def. be appreciated if you are successful.

The Reaper
06-28-2016, 12:55
All I want to know is can you do your job, and where do your loyalties lie?

TR

Astronomy
06-28-2016, 14:32
It's all about you as value added to the United States Army Special Forces... not your national origin, ethnicity, or race. SF has always been a place where a very wide variety of cultural types found a home and a calling. Chinese? No big deal; you wouldn't be the first.

The MAVNI program is designed specifically to recruit needed language/cultural backgrounds. In that respect, it's a somewhat updated version of the 1950 Lodge Act, once used to mainly recruit native eastern Europeans for Cold War language & cultural skills.

If you were on my team, I and every man on it would welcome you with open arms... as long as you proved to be a dedicated SF Soldier. One who believed in and would defend America to the death.

Over the years, I served in Army SF alongside men native born in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, the Pacific, & South/Central America. Even had folks on my ODAs from Alabama. ;)

Naturally, the path to security clearance and US citizenship is one that has to be navigated. But others have done so for decades.

You aren't going to run into institutionalized racism on an ODA because you're ethnic Chinese. Quite the opposite. Especially if you wind up in 1st Group, where your language & cultural background would be highly valued. But if you wound up with 10th Group in Germany... it would still be the same. You'd get treated and accepted like any other brand new cherry joining his first team. But you could expect a certain amount of ribbing about your background. Because Team guys deliberately push buttons on new folks to see what they're made of and how they handle themselves. To find out how thick or thin your skin is. Where your pressure points are. It's a psychological assessment of you as an individual. Give back as good as you get, but remember that a sense of humor about such things goes a long way.

A path for you exists to accession into Army Special Forces. Whether you choose to take it is up to you. After that, you stand or fall on your own merits and personal reputation.

If you're sure you want to be an SF Soldier and an American Citizen... and are willing to pledge your allegiance and flesh to that concept... Go For It. But the part about being American is critical. Pride in cultural/ethnic background? Expected. Questions about loyalty to Team and Country or expressing Dual Allegiance? That's the one thing not tolerated on an ODA. It's a 100% commitment. So think about it long and hard before you choose that road.

If you showed up at my team room door with a freshly minted SFQC diploma... I'd welcome you and then put your Chinese ass to work. Just as I would any other newly arrived NCO.

If you're serious about it and can make the cut, Good Luck. Somebody could certainly use you on their ODA.

alelks
06-28-2016, 15:07
On a team you bleed read just like everyone else. No one will care what nationality you are.

miclo18d
06-28-2016, 16:59
Even had folks on my ODAs from Alabama.

Whoa whoa whoa, there partner! How did someone from Alabami make it into SF? That's unacceptable!
:D

Team Sergeant
06-28-2016, 17:15
Whoa whoa whoa, there partner! How did someone from Alabami make it into SF? That's unacceptable!
:D

Yeah, agree, I've never heard of anyone from Alabama on an A-Team!

Joker
06-28-2016, 23:16

He meant to say, he had a girl from Alabama in the team room, at night, with mega beers, and no one else around. Without pictures, it did not happen. :p

UWOA (RIP)
06-29-2016, 08:07

Com'on now, Top! What about wind dummies? The one's I've seen used had 'Made in Alabama' stamped/imprinted on their forehead ....

nousdefions
06-29-2016, 08:33

Beg to differ, TS. One of the finest Delta's I ever served with was from UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama)

Team Sergeant
06-29-2016, 13:32
Beg to differ, TS. One of the finest Delta's I ever served with was from UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama)

LOL, can't say I've heard that one....... ;)