PDA

View Full Version : Golden Opportunity

berdan
01-06-2005, 15:01
Good Afternoon folks

Requesting a little help and info from the experts.

Last AUG-SEP I was OIC for a group of NG troops who went on an ADSW assignment to help State Police. During our two months of working with the State Troopers we all became good friends. One of our State Police co workers is on the ERT and is also a fire arms instructor. He said if there was ever a time we would like to train with them to just call and we could set it up.

I believe this would be a golden opportunity for my soldiers and a chance to get them all excited and motivated about drill. This state trooper said he and his team would be willing to train us on anything we would be interested in.

This would be a great chance for not just a platoon but our whole company. I want to be serious about this so I dont want to go up to my Co with a "Oh by the way sir, what do you think of this...?" What do I need to do/prepare so it sounds intelligent and proffessional so that I can present it to my Co as a possible training excercise for a whole company for a weekend drill? My State Police asset already has instructors and ranges at his disposal. We would only need weapons and Ammo.

regards

berdan

Jo Sul
01-06-2005, 15:32
Well let's see how much I can spew off the top of my head with minimal thought . . .

First of all, you need a specific plan that covers exactly what training would be done and why. Your CO will want more than "they will train us on whatever we want".

Odds are your unit has specific requirements and training tasks that have to be met with a limited number of training days. If this is a "weekend of fun" that does not support the unit mission then it is not likely to fly. However, if this training specifically covers METL-related items and/or otherwise meets the unit training requirements then it could happen.

I'd suggest at a minimum you have a proposed training schedule for the whole drill weekend, risk assessments, list of equipment and coordination required, and something that shows how this training supports the unit mission. Given this, you could start discussing it with your CO. If he doesn't immediately shoot it down, then you might have a chance.

You should look at what is currently planned for upcoming drill weekends and propose which weekend you would replace with this. This will probably mean shuffling the schedule to move things already planned for that weekend that still have to be done. Your CO will need to coordinate with higher for things like ammunition and will need to plan this well in advance.