PDA

View Full Version : A Recruitment/Enlistment Question

Tourist
05-13-2016, 07:35
Hi chaps, its not for me, I'm told old nowadays, much as I would love to still get out.

Anyway, my kids Tae Kwon Do instructor, a 5th Dan, is an ethnic Korean, has just got his US citizenship and is going through the throes of joining the US Army. Whilst not a specific SF question I am asking here as you are the top of the tree experts in all matters army.

We all know recruiters tend to steer people at jobs they need to fill. Can you advise on the types of job an ethnic Korean, fluent Korean speaker of above average intelligence would be suited to in the US military. He is a 5th Dan in TKD and has a couple of other martial arts under his belt too, but is not built like a cage fighter.

He has spoken with me about the military, but I can only speak knowledgeably about the British Army. So I thought I'd ask here to help point him at options.

Thanks in advance chaps.

CAARNG 68W
05-13-2016, 12:09
You and said TKD instructor are still in the UK? In the U.S. all a Foreign National needs is a Resident Alien Card, a "Green Card"

Sdiver
05-13-2016, 12:25
You and said TKD instructor are still in the UK? In the U.S. all a Foreign National needs is a Resident Alien Card, a "Green Card"

You may want to reread his post ....

Hi chaps, its not for me, I'm told old nowadays, much as I would love to still get out.

Anyway, my kids Tae Kwon Do instructor, a 5th Dan, is an ethnic Korean, has just got his US citizenship and is going through the throes of joining the US Army. Whilst not a specific SF question I am asking here as you are the top of the tree experts in all matters army.

We all know recruiters tend to steer people at jobs they need to fill. Can you advise on the types of job an ethnic Korean, fluent Korean speaker of above average intelligence would be suited to in the US military. He is a 5th Dan in TKD and has a couple of other martial arts under his belt too, but is not built like a cage fighter.

He has spoken with me about the military, but I can only speak knowledgeably about the British Army. So I thought I'd ask here to help point him at options.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Tourist
05-13-2016, 14:48
Thanks bloke:)

Pete
05-13-2016, 15:01
The first question to ask (himself) or you ask is why. Why does he want to join?

Pay back the country? Get college? See the world? Why?

Which service? Why?

What are his interests?

What does he see himself doing? Driving a tank, a grunt, medic or SOF stud?

Just a start....

Guy
05-13-2016, 15:14
The first question to ask (himself) or you ask is why. Why does he want to join?

Pay back the country? Get college? See the world? Why?

Which service? Why?

What are his interests?

What does he see himself doing? Driving a tank, a grunt, medic or SOF stud?

Just a start....I was flunking out of college, they didn't have the internet back then.....:(

Team Sergeant
05-13-2016, 15:38
I was flunking out of college, they didn't have the internet back then.....:(

An SF Medic flunking out of college? I call bullshitte.
What were you taking theoretical physics??

Pete
05-13-2016, 15:42
What were you taking theoretical physics??

Girls 101 most likely

CAARNG 68W
05-13-2016, 19:16
You may want to reread his post ....

I did, OP made it sound like both are still residing in the U.K.

Girls 101 most likely

Him and me both when I was in college.

Guy
05-14-2016, 05:37
What were you taking theoretical physics??At least there's no refuting physics...

Arguing with a Sociology/Psychology professor will make your head hurt!:eek:

Me: Sir do you even have a passport?

Professor: No and it does not matter...

Me: Just fucking amazing! You can teach about the world and how folks think yet; you ain't been no fucking place!

Professor: I would appreciate if you didn't use that kind of language.:eek:

Team Sergeant
05-14-2016, 17:48
At least there's no refuting physics...

Me: Just fucking amazing! You can teach about the world and how folks think yet; you ain't been no fucking place!

Yeah, what was I thinking.......You're the only person I know that can fit in 29 F-bombs into a 28 word sentence. :D

Guy
05-15-2016, 05:31
Yeah, what was I thinking.......You're the only person I know that can fit in 29 F-bombs into a 28 word sentence. :DPissing off an investor in a construction project not coming in on time after submitting a plan..."WILL SET A MFer OFF!":o

frostfire
05-15-2016, 20:44
At least there's no refuting physics...

Can I pay you to go back to school and enroll in Master's degree in Gender Studies with concentration in postmodern feminism? :D
Can't wait to see the interaction between you and the metrosexual-SJW

Speaking of metro...saw this metro dude at an intersection the other day who got out of his car and tried to "persuade" a turtle to get off the road. On one hand, I admire his kind heart. At the same time, he looked visibly skeered and would not put his hands on the turtle to lift the poor thing off the road. So there he was just waving off, shooing, and persuading the turtle to steer off danger. WTH HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICAN MALES ?!?! Growing up, Indiana Jones, the Duke, and Rambo were what I associated them with. Now...

Doesn't matter his self appraisal of intelligence until he takes the ASVAB. I know language barrier can skew the result. So no matter how well is his Korean, how is his English comprehension? Got a squared away ex-Iraqi interpreter friend who tried to enlist who had his dream to serve in US military crushed because of that barrier. OTOH, 09L or linguist would suit him well. I didn't have real solid comprehension myself when I first enlisted, but thanks to engineering background, I got 140 GT and 98% AFQT. I was able to pick any MOS I wanted.

Team Sergeant
05-15-2016, 21:18
Can I pay you to go back to school and enroll in Master's degree in Gender Studies with concentration in postmodern feminism? :D
Can't wait to see the interaction between you and the metrosexual-SJW

I would like to witness that exchange myself..... and assist Guy in disposing of the body afterwards. :munchin

Guy
05-16-2016, 04:20
Can't wait to see the interaction between you and the metrosexual-SJWYou can't argue with someone that has never been anywhere outside of academia...:lifter

miclo18d
05-16-2016, 04:49
Just remember, when removing turtles from the road like a man, they will try to pee on you! Try to hold them at arms length! :D

I live in Florida and those stupid turtles are always trying to cross the roads or warm themselves, and my wife loves ALL animals, so that means I love ALL animals! ;)

SF-TX
05-16-2016, 06:58
Fuck the turtles.

Girl Dies Trying To Save Turtle (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-dies-trying-to-save-turtle/)

Texas woman killed in fatal hit-and-run after trying to save turtle on road (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texas-woman-dies-trying-to-save-turtle-6493552.php)

Kansas girl hit by car while helping turtle identified (http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Kansas-girl-helping-turtle-get-off-road-hit-by-car-263976331.html)

Utah Bob
05-16-2016, 12:22
Well this thread has taken an unexpectred turn.

Not really.:munchin:D

Tourist
05-16-2016, 17:09
Yeah, what was I thinking.......You're the only person I know that can fit in 29 F-bombs into a 28 word sentence. :D

If an f-bomb is the f-word, try listening to a conversation involving me when I am just a little pi55ed. The wife nags me for it, but my excuse is that it better to use bad language than to drop some annoyingly, insignificant, un-noteworthy d***head career civilian.

Gentlemen, thank you for the responses. I was just trying to get a flavour of what is out there for the lad. He isn't after college, he already has that, he is very intelligent, from the noises he makes I do believe he has seen that his future is in the green army. He is, in my opinion, at the moment quite capable of taking on any type of academic, or adverse physical course which he may present himself at.

Thank you again.

To the eager, but confused chap in Orange County, I don't believe that I mentioned the UK anywhere, other than it showing as my location. I'll even buy you a drink when I come over to Cali in a couple of months, just to show you I am not in the UK.;)

Cheers blokes.

Guy
05-17-2016, 05:07
Fuck the turtles.

Girl Dies Trying To Save Turtle (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-dies-trying-to-save-turtle/)

Texas woman killed in fatal hit-and-run after trying to save turtle on road (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texas-woman-dies-trying-to-save-turtle-6493552.php)

Kansas girl hit by car while helping turtle identified (http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Kansas-girl-helping-turtle-get-off-road-hit-by-car-263976331.html)I've been in a vehicle, on a highway when, the wife slammed on the brakes for an animal...

ME: OH SHIT!!!
WIFE: Did you see him...
ME: Honey, you could've killed us and other people...
WIFE: But it ran across the highway...
ME: Hold-on to the steering wheel and run that MFer over!
WIFE: We would've killed him...
ME: :confused: