PDA

View Full Version : Prior Service Recruiting Question

Keating
04-26-2016, 12:46
I beg forgiveness in advance for asking a non-SF question.

I am prior service USCG, officer, and am attempting to join USAR Civil Affairs as an officer. I'm willing to bust down to O-1 (highest grade O-3). However, my recruiter is telling me that he cannot bring me in as an officer because I'm a prior service officer.

The instruction attached below references inter-service transfers for officers and clearly states that it should be permitted. The relevant paragraph:

"a. Inter-service Transfers. An officer transferring between two Military Services or a commissioned officer transferring from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, or the United States Coast Guard to one of the Military Services will be processed as an original appointment in accordance with sections 531 or 12203 and 716 of Reference (c) and DoDIs 1300.04 or 1205.05 (References (s) and (t)), with grade and date of rank determined in accordance with Reference (j) and DoDD 6000.12E (Reference (u)), as appropriate."

My question to current/former recruiters of the forum is, who's right? Perhaps, because I'm completely out (and no longer on IRR), I no longer count as a transfer?

I genuinely do not believe he's trying to mislead me. He's either 100% correct or simply doesn't know how to bring me in on the O side.

Thank you! I would, if only for financial reasons, prefer to stay on the O side of the house. But if push comes to shove, I'll bust down to E-4 and start over. I'm only 29.

frostfire
04-27-2016, 04:11
I beg forgiveness in advance for asking a non-SF question.

I am prior service USCG, officer, and am attempting to join USAR Civil Affairs as an officer. I'm willing to bust down to O-1 (highest grade O-3). However, my recruiter is telling me that he cannot bring me in as an officer because I'm a prior service officer.

The instruction attached below references inter-service transfers for officers and clearly states that it should be permitted. The relevant paragraph:

"a. Inter-service Transfers. An officer transferring between two Military Services or a commissioned officer transferring from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, or the United States Coast Guard to one of the Military Services will be processed as an original appointment in accordance with sections 531 or 12203 and 716 of Reference (c) and DoDIs 1300.04 or 1205.05 (References (s) and (t)), with grade and date of rank determined in accordance with Reference (j) and DoDD 6000.12E (Reference (u)), as appropriate."

My question to current/former recruiters of the forum is, who's right? Perhaps, because I'm completely out (and no longer on IRR), I no longer count as a transfer?

I genuinely do not believe he's trying to mislead me. He's either 100% correct or simply doesn't know how to bring me in on the O side.

Thank you! I would, if only for financial reasons, prefer to stay on the O side of the house. But if push comes to shove, I'll bust down to E-4 and start over. I'm only 29.

For officer, you have to comission to a basic, non-special (AMEDD, JAG, chaplain) first before going for CA. IIRC, if you have public-related civilian skills, you can be direcly ascessed.