PDA

View Full Version : The Panama Papers

Hand
04-04-2016, 13:40
I can only hope that some US congresscritters names wind up in this leak.

Eleven million documents were leaked from one of the world's most secretive companies, Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.
They show how Mossack Fonseca has helped clients launder money, dodge sanctions and avoid tax.
The company says it has operated beyond reproach for 40 years and has never been charged with criminal wrong-doing.

French President Francois Hollande hailed the "good revelations" which would "increase tax revenues from those who commit fraud".
The documents show 12 current or former heads of state and at least 60 people linked to current or former world leaders in the data.
They include the Icelandic Prime Minister, Sigmundur David Gunnlaugson, who had an undeclared interest linked to his wife's wealth. He has said he will not resign.

The files also reveal a suspected billion-dollar money laundering ring involving close associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Gerard Ryle, director of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), said the documents covered day-to-day business at Mossack Fonseca over the past 40 years.
"I think the leak will prove to be probably the biggest blow the offshore world has ever taken because of the extent of the documents," he added.

Eleven million documents held by the Panama-based law firm Mossack Fonseca have been passed to German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung, which then shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. BBC Panorama is among 107 media organisations - including UK newspaper the Guardian - in 76 countries which have been analysing the documents. The BBC doesn't know the identity of the source
They show how the company has helped clients launder money, dodge sanctions and evade tax
Mossack Fonseca says it has operated beyond reproach for 40 years and never been accused or charged with criminal wrong-doing

The documents also shed light on how Mossack Fonseca offered financial services designed to help business clients hide their wealth.
One wealthy client, US millionaire and life coach Marianna Olszewski, was offered fake ownership records to hide money from the authorities. This is in direct breach of international regulations designed to stop money-laundering and tax evasion.

An email from a Mossack executive to Ms Olszewski in January 2009 explains how she could deceive the bank: "We may use a natural person who will act as the beneficial owner… and therefore his name will be disclosed to the bank. Since this is a very sensitive matter, fees are quite high."
Ms Olszewski did not respond to the BBC's questions.

In a statement, Mossack Fonseca said: "Your allegations that we provide structures supposedly designed to hide the identity of the real owners, are completely unsupported and false.
"We do not provide beneficiary services to deceive banks. It is difficult, not to say impossible, not to provide banks with the identity of final beneficiaries and the origin of funds."
The data also contain secret offshore companies linked to the families and associates of Egypt's former President, Hosni Mubarak, former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and Syria's President Bashar al-Assad.

Russian connection
Also revealed is a suspected billion-dollar money-laundering ring that was run by a Russian bank and involved close associates of President Putin.
The operation was run by Bank Rossiya, which is subject to US and EU sanctions following Russia's annexation of Crimea.
The documents reveal for the first time how the bank operates.

Continued (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844)

Oldrotorhead
04-04-2016, 16:13
I'd be happy with a Gore and a Clinton or two.:munchin

Follow developments here.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/

Team Sergeant
04-04-2016, 17:41
Here come the list of scumbags, first up, son of the former head of the UN....... bottom-feeding lowlifes one and all. This should get real interesting.......

Kofi Annan's son surfaces in offshore accounts document dump
Published April 04, 2016
· FoxNews.com

The son of former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan surfaced in the global document dump that has some of the world’s most powerful players quaking, and it is the second time the diplomatic scion’s name has come up in an international finance scandal.

Kojo Annan’s is just one of several familiar names trickling out of the trove of 11.5 million documents leaked from Mossack Fonseca, the Panamanian law firm that helped some of the world’s richest people set up offshore bank accounts. Documents, leaked first to a German newspaper and then shared with a handful of international media outlets, reportedly show that Annan used a Mossack Foseca-arranged offshore account to buy a London apartment for more than $500,000 in 2003.

The exact price of the apartment was not immediately known, but its address is listed as “Argyll Mansions” in correspondence with Mossack Fonseca that continued into last year.

cont:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/04/04/kofi-annans-son-surfaces-in-offshore-accounts-document-dump.html?intcmp=hpbt3

PRB
04-04-2016, 20:12
...the real question tho is .....is it actually illegal to move money offshore in all of these cases?
It can be legally done depending upon the origin of the profit.

mark46th
04-04-2016, 20:19
It is only illegal in the U.S. if you are doing it to defraud the IRS and not pay taxes on it...

Joker
04-05-2016, 03:48
It is only illegal in the U.S. if you are doing it to defraud the IRS and not pay taxes on it...

And if the gains are from an illegal activity.

UWOA (RIP)
04-05-2016, 07:01
And if the gains are from an illegal activity.

It doesn't have to be illegal; although that helps. It just has to be an attempt to conceal and not report taxable income, a la Wesley Snipes ....

Team Sergeant
04-05-2016, 11:15
I really hope the clintons are on the list of criminals......(obama doesn't have the requisite IQ to start an offshore account on his own so forget it)

Iceland PM resigns amid Panama Papers scandal, official says

Published April 05, 2016
· FoxNews.com

BREAKING: The prime minister of Iceland resigned Tuesday amid reports that he and his wife set up an offshore company with the help of a Panamanian law firm at the center of a massive tax evasion leak, representing the first world leader to step down in the Panama Papers scandal, a government official told local media.

Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson had denied doing anything illegal and said he paid all taxes. Opponents argue his company, set up in the British Virgin Islands, represents a severe conflict of interest because it held investments in failed Icelandic banks that his government was responsible for overseeing.

tonyz
04-05-2016, 15:55
The WH probably first thought that the Panama Papers were competitors to Zig-Zag.

Streck-Fu
04-06-2016, 06:47
LINK (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-05/shots-fired-wikileaks-accuses-panama-papers-leaker-being-soros-funded-soft-power-tax)

Earlier today, for the first time we got a glimpse into some of the American names allegedly contained in the "Panama Papers", largest ever leak. "Some", not all, and "allegedly" because as we said yesterday, "one can't help but wonder: why not do a Wikileaks type data dump, one which reveals if not all the 2.6 terabytes of data due to security concerns, then at least the identities of these 441 US-based clients. After all, with the rest of the world has already been extensively shamed, it's only fair to open US books as well."

The exact same question appeared in an interview conducted between Wired magazine and the director of the organization that released the Panama Papers, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, or ICIJ, Gerard Ryle.

This is what Ryle said:

Ryle says that the media organizations have no plans to release the full dataset, WikiLeaks-style, which he argues would expose the sensitive information of innocent private individuals along with the public figures on which the group’s reporting has focused. “We’re not WikiLeaks. We’re trying to show that journalism can be done responsibly,” Ryle says. He says he advised the reporters from all the participating media outlets to “go crazy, but tell us what’s in the public interest for your country.”

Question aside about who it is that gets to decide which "innocent private individuals" are to be left alone, Wikileaks clearly did not like being characterized as conducting "irresponsible" journalism - and to the contrary, many in the public arena have called for another massive, distributed effort to get to the bottom of a 2.4TB treasure trove of data which a handful of journalists will simply be unable to dig through - and moments ago, on Twitter, accused the ICIJ of being a "Washington DC based Ford, Soros funded soft-power tax-dodge" which "has a WikiLeaks problem."

ddoering
04-06-2016, 07:47
You can bet that if Trump was on it we would have heard about it by now.

Guymullins
04-06-2016, 07:53
If offshore money is legally transferred, one would likely put it into conventional bank accounts in Switzerland or the Channel Islands. This Panama scam is for the illegal stuff. Our alleged President, Jacob Zuma has been caught up in it. His nephew, who he passes most of his corrupt dealings through has an account which was used to store oil money obtained from the DRC in exchange for Zuma sending SA troops to protect the President of the DRC's business holdings.

Hand
04-06-2016, 08:11
LINK (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-05/shots-fired-wikileaks-accuses-panama-papers-leaker-being-soros-funded-soft-power-tax)

My first reaction is fuck em. We the little people have been subjected just in the last couple of years to

Corruption in the IRS
Corruption in the AG's office
"Metadata" collection by our own government
Unwarranted spying on our electronic communications
Legislation from the bench by the Supreme Court
Unending war
Increased terrorist attacks
Forced to accept President mandated refugee incursion
Failure of and corruption in the EPA
City leaders allowing water supplies to erode to unusable levels
A Presidential candidate currently under investigation by the FBI
Federal mandate of the LGBTQRSTUV agenda
The FBI trying to change Apple's operating system to make it LESS secure

Now how is it, amidst these confusing times of what is private (nothing about my life, obviously) and what the government should have access to (every fucking thing whatsoever, obviously) that someone (in the media no less) decides that names shouldn't be named because they may be innocent. I really should agree with the guy, because hey, their privacy is just as important to them as mine is to me. Given my list above, I don't have much (if any, really) so fuck em, they shouldn't either. I want to see wikileaks with that pile of documents.

This journalist organization surely has $$$.$$ driving their decision, not "transparency".

Streck-Fu
04-06-2016, 08:36
My first reaction is fuck em.

I'm with you in this....

Peregrino
04-06-2016, 09:18
I'm with you in this....

Actually - my ONLY reaction is "fuck em".

DIYPatriot
04-06-2016, 11:46
...but they are not stupid and know how to use a cut out.

Like private email servers - sure would love to get my hands on that data

cbtengr
04-06-2016, 15:48
While the Klintons probably have money there they are to smart to have their name attached to it. They may be dirty and ruthless but they are not stupid and know how to use a cut out.

They hide their money out in the open via that crooked money laundering foundation that they all sponge off of. No more struggling to make ends meet for them.

Divemaster
04-07-2016, 00:34
I need a bank account worthy of the Panama Papers.