PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers in Toronto stabbed and Quebec murdered

tonyz
03-15-2016, 17:34
Toronto stabbings: suspect said Allah told him to do it, say police
Canadian man accused of stabbing two soldiers at army centre heard saying Allah told him to go there and kill people
Guardian
Ashifa Kassam
March 15, 2016

A Canadian man accused of stabbing two soldiers at a military recruitment centre in Toronto was heard saying “Allah told me to come here and kill people” during the incident, police said on Tuesday, but so far there is no indication he carried out the attack with the involvement of anyone else or any organisation.

The man walked into the centre on Monday afternoon wielding a large knife, said Chief Mark Saunders of the Toronto police. He began striking a uniformed Canadian Forces member who was stationed near the entrance and slashed his right arm. The suspect then tried unsuccessfully to slash a female soldier.

A group of six to eight soldiers managed to subdue the suspect until police arrived. Two military personnel were taken to the hospital with minor injuries and were later released.

Montreal-born Ayanle Hassan Ali, 27, faces nine charges, including attempted murder and aggravated assault. After a brief court appearance on Tuesday, his lawyer highlighted the seriousness of the charges. “It’s a very, very difficult situation he finds himself in,” said David Burke. “He just seems very scared right now and very unhappy to be in the situation he finds himself in right now.”

Burke refused to address whether his client was remorseful for his actions, instead urging the public to refrain from jumping to conclusions. “This is a very serious incident, nobody can deny that ... but at the end of the day I think it does remain to be seen what kind of a person we are dealing with,” he said. Ali will remain in custody until his next court appearance on Friday.

Police said they are continuing to investigate whether terrorism was a possible motive for the attack, pointing to the words uttered by the suspect during the incident. “While at the scene, the accused stated that ‘Allah told me to do this, Allah told me to come here and kill people’,” said Saunders.

The probe has been widened to include the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Canada’s intelligence services, but to date nothing has been found to indicate that the accused was working with others to carry out the attack. “It will take some time to have a complete picture,” said Saunders. Ali, who has lived in Toronto since 2011 and was not known to police, refused to answer questions from police at the scene.

Saunders also cautioned against drawing conclusions from the details that have emerged so far about the case. “One of the things I want to be very careful of, when it comes to the national security piece, [is] that we don’t go do that Islamophobia nonsense,” said Saunders. “I don’t want this categorising a large group of people; that will be very unfair and very inaccurate.”

On Tuesday, some of Canada’s million-strong Muslim community condemned what they called a hateful act of violence. “We are deeply troubled to hear about the attack on our Canadian Armed Forces,” said Lal Khan Malik, of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at Canada in a statement. “It is appalling and utterly disgraceful that anyone would carry out such an attack in God’s name.”

Authorities in Canada have been on heightened alert since autumn 2014, when a harrowing attack brought the country’s capital city of Ottawa to a standstill. A gunman killed a Canadian soldier standing guard at the war memorial, then rushed to parliament, opening fire before being shot dead. In a video made prior to the attack, the gunman said his actions were in retaliation for Canada’s involvement in the war in Afghanistan and against Islamic State.

The attack came just two days after a man, described by authorities as an Isis-inspired attacker, ran over two soldiers in the parking lot of a strip mall in Québec, killing one and injuring another before being fatally shot by police. In both cases, investigators said the attackers had become radicalised.

<Snip>

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/15/canada-stabbings-allah-police

CAARNG 68W
03-15-2016, 19:06
Jesus; again?

tonyz
03-15-2016, 19:25
Yup, stay frosty.

Islamic State hackers post ‘kill list’ of Minnesota cops
By Kellan Howell - The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A group of hackers loyal to the Islamic State terrorist group have reportedly posted a “kill list” with the names and personal details of 36 policemen in Minnesota.

The list, published by the “Caliphate Cyber Army” on the encrypted mobile app Telegram, includes full names, home addresses, email addresses and phone numbers of all the policemen, according to Vocativ

The cops reportedly live in cities across Minnesota, but the majority are located in and around the Twin Cities.

Minnesota has a large population of Somali immigrants, with the Cedar Riverside community in Minneapolis housing the largest Somali community in the country. Since 2007, two dozen men from the Cedar Riverside community have left to join extremist groups.

A congressional report from last November said one in four Americans who has attempted to join the Islamic State group is from Minnesota.

This is not the first time a hacking group has released personal details of U.S. law enforcement or military personnel.

November, a group called “Islamic State Cyber Army” posted names and addresses of people who have worked with American security agencies, although some of those details were previously posted online, Vocativ reported.

Islamic State supporters have also posted the personal details of prominent U.S. soldiers like Rob O’Neill, the U.S. Navy SEAL who killed Osama Bin Laden.

Last year, hackers were able to penetrate the Twitter and YouTube accounts of the U.S. Central Command.

Last week, the Caliphate Cyber Army posted a threat on its Telegram channel, warning that its next round of attacks would target financial institutions.

“It will include banks, money transfer services, stocks and so on. Beware of us, economical war has just started,” the message said, according to Vocativ.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/15/islamic-state-hackers-post-kill-list-minnesota-cop/

Divemaster
03-15-2016, 22:56
These latest attacks and threats, combined with other previous unprovoked attacks on military and police, illustrates why everyone in uniform has a responsibility to maintain situational awareness at all times.

Leaders bear the responsibility of making sure their people have the proper training in this area. Many in the military "switch off" their SA when at home and away from combat zones. LEOs, while often having good SA because they live where they (for lack of a better term) "operate", need to be switched on for threats and not just criminality.

Some of this involves making the continuous assessment (and reassessment) of one's immediate environment second nature, learning to be the grey man or woman when off duty (demeanor and image projection), and becoming adept at spotting a predator in a sea of prey. There is more to it than this, but these skills can be taught. Discipline is required to make them habit.

Sohei
03-16-2016, 09:14
These latest attacks and threats, combined with other previous unprovoked attacks on military and police, illustrates why everyone in uniform has a responsibility to maintain situational awareness at all times.

Leaders bear the responsibility of making sure their people have the proper training in this area. Many in the military "switch off" their SA when at home and away from combat zones. LEOs, while often having good SA because they live where they (for lack of a better term) "operate", need to be switched on for threats and not just criminality.

Some of this involves making the continuous assessment (and reassessment) of one's immediate environment second nature, learning to be the grey man or woman when off duty (demeanor and image projection), and becoming adept at spotting a predator in a sea of prey. There is more to it than this, but these skills can be taught. Discipline is required to make them habit.

Very well said!

I was recently having a discussion with my DIL and told her that I don't like to use the word "victim" in the manner that most use it. To me, "victim" is a mindset.

However, in instances like the above, or theater/mall shootings, I use the terms "intended or unintended" targets. In order to help prevent yourself from being either, SA plays the biggest part along with possessing the mindset to be willing to do all that is necessary to protect yourself and your loved ones from a threat.