PDA

View Full Version : eating and drinking while in shock


aSk^Ghost
01-04-2005, 18:27
Got a question and hope someone can help me. Is it ok to give something to eat / drink while he is in shock? I read in a book that you should do it but the army`s game ( America`s Army ) says you shouldn`t. What about heat stroke ?
Thanks in advance

Sacamuelas
01-04-2005, 20:22
Got a question and hope someone can help me. Is it ok to give something to eat / drink while he is in shock? I read in a book that you should do it but the army`s game ( America`s Army ) says you shouldn`t.
You need to go do some research on the basics Ghost. You can also search this very forum for background info which will give you good key words to search on google. Only fair that you put forth a little effort in research before asking questions.
Here is a start for you... (Note: I searched shock on this site )

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97&page=1&pp=10&highlight=shock

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96&highlight=shock


Google is your friend. If you get stuck, have a detailed and specific question… then come back and fire away.

My guess is a little bird is whispering in your ear about this forum, I would listen to it if I were you. Good luck.

52bravo
01-05-2005, 04:48
if he/she don’t have a wound between the in and out opening you ok. Only for penetrations trauma.
But remember if he is going to OP, it can be a problem.

It depends on the sit.

aSk^Ghost
01-05-2005, 14:20
I did read the other threads but they didn`t help me in any way. And google does no good in this case because I`m not trying to learn something new, I`m trying to find out what is the correct answer. Problem is two different sources say exact the opposite thing

swatsurgeon
01-05-2005, 15:40
start with the definition of shock: the inability to meet the metabolic demands of tissues and cells.
Next, understand the basic physiology of the human body: when in shock preserve the most important parts of the organism (brain, heart, lungs) and the gut isn't one of them, therefore, the gut tends to not function well at all and by giving fluid or solids by mouth, the organism (us) vomits because it doesn't have the adequate blood flow to sustain normal funtion.
Final story is DO NOT FEED WHILE IN SHOCK...this is why I.V. fluids are available and why we don't use the gut until the patient is out of shock for at least 12-24 hrs.
All of this is available in any medical text, especially critical care text.

52bravo
01-05-2005, 16:11
sorry i misunderstood you Q so disregard my post. and on top of what swatsurgeon says most in shock don’t what to eat.
some may one to drink, because they get a dry tongue from the shock, but reel is more in the movies.

Kyobanim
01-05-2005, 19:06
I think SwatSurgeon answered that one difinitively. No fluids or food when in shock. Especially if you're not trained medical personnel.

aSk^Ghost
01-05-2005, 19:08
Thanks everybody for helping / trying to help. I gotta burn that damn book =)

QRQ 30
01-05-2005, 20:21
I think SwatSurgeon answered that one difinitively. No fluids or food when in shock. Especially if you're not trained medical personnel.

You may want to amend that. None by mouth but IV fluids are recommended. At least in my day they were

One of the primary things team members can do to help the medics is to treat for shock and control bleeding. leaving more serious trauma to the medics/docs...

Just a commo guy. . . ;)