PDA

View Full Version : 19th in Austin/Dallas

SRTmed
01-04-2005, 16:23
I ran into a guy from 5th group last month in the airport. He said the 19th was starting up a det in Austin, TX, anyone heard about this or know what the time frame might be. Also, is there a det in Dallas attached to the 19th. I keep hearing rumors about them, but no info is listed anywhere. Thanks

18C4V
01-04-2005, 23:49
Are you already 18 Series qualified and asking about joining that SFODA?

SRTmed
01-07-2005, 09:31
Not a tabbed guy. I am FF/EMT-P/PO and serve as an operator/medic on our SRT. One of my instructors at BW is 18D w/ 20th in AL. and he got me very interested in NG SF. Ran into the guy from 5th group on my way back, he mentioned 19th in Austin.

The Reaper
01-07-2005, 09:35
Not a Guard expert, but I suspect as a non-18 that you would be assigned to the Battalion NQP unit till you make it through the SFQC.

Also be aware that if you are accepted, you will be mobilized and put into the SFQC pipeline at Ft. Bragg for 1-2 years to get qualified.

Good luck.

TR

SRTmed
01-07-2005, 12:02
Good info. Thanks Reaper.

t-rex2025
01-23-2005, 09:31
You are correct. I know the individual you are talking about. His last name is XXXXXXXXXX and was a member of 5th SFGA now working for DHS in Dallas. The last time he and I spoke of the issue it was a only a proposal and in the planning stages. I belong to the 20TH SFGA in Alabama, but just returned from Force structure brief at Group HQ, which outlined current strength and some future Armory locations and moves.

The state of TX has one unit which is the 181st Combat Weather Flight that is ISO 19th SFGA, but has not establish a det there to date. You closest options are:

To the east of Dallas -

C / 2 / 20th SFG (A)
DET 1 / HQ / 2 / 20th SFG (A)
Grenada, MS
(662) 294 - 0056 / 0054 / 0062
DSN: 293 - 7062 / 7056

HQ / 2 / 20th SFG (A)
BSC / 2 / 20th SFG (A)
Jackson, MS
(601) 313 - 4626 / 4636
DSN: 293 - 4626 / 4636

B / 1 / 20th SFG (A)
Mobile, AL
(251) 405 - 4930 / 4931
DSN: 363 - 7626

And to the North:

HQ / 5 / 19th SFG (A)
BSC / 5 / 19th SFG (A)
B / 5 / 19th SFG (A)
Watkins, CO
(303) 677 - 8351 / 8350
DSN: 877 - 8351 / 8350
(720) 847 - 8351 / 8350

My recomendation would be to talk to one of these units, become an NQP and if you are still interested prepare yourself for selection and the pipeline. My unit (B Co, 1-20) has guys that come from the Dallas and Houston and they car pool for IDTs. The Company NCO's can give more information.

T-Rex,
I did the name edit. We try to keep SF names off the internet, unless of course the SF'er posts his own name.
Great info BTW, welcome to the board!
TS

18C4V
01-23-2005, 21:36
There is an ODA in TX, however those guys belong to the CO NG and 5/19th. I saw the proposal for the stand up for the TX company, along with a change of DTA for 5/19th among other things. But, knowing how the guard works, I'll belive it when I see it.

t-rex2025
01-23-2005, 23:22
TS

Thanks your for the help with the edit. I will keep that in mind for future posts, still learning my way around.

18C4V - I am familiar with the ODA in TX, and you are correct they are a part of 5/19th and the CO NG. They have tried several times to find a home in TX. A few years ago they almost had it when they were doing CD work for JTF-6, but that turned into a temporary thing. I am really not in the loop, but from what gather there seems a combination of money (who will pay and fund the unit) and the red tape at NGB.

The good news is with the demand on more SF troops and the plan to stand up more SF BN's the NG SF groups are taking the oppertunity to propose additional locations, armories and states to stand up more Companies and Det. I hope I am wrong But, at the pace the Army does things, I will be retired before changes happen.

T-Rex

18C4V
01-23-2005, 23:38
t-rex2025 PM sent.

sandytroop
01-26-2005, 14:55
The teams have not been stood up yet, but it's in the works. They will be in SA I understand.

TerribleTobyt
02-08-2005, 23:19
The teams have not been stood up yet, but it's in the works. They will be in SA I understand.

Is this the straight poop??????

My son in in the Tx NG but wants to look at going SF.

Can I give him some info to hang his hat on?? We're both in SA!!!

Toby-hopin for good news to give Son :)

18C4V
02-08-2005, 23:59
Is this the straight poop??????

My son in in the Tx NG but wants to look at going SF.

Can I give him some info to hang his hat on?? We're both in SA!!!

Toby-hopin for good news to give Son :)

I would wait for a few weeks. The Bn BTMS is next week and the Group GMTS is the week after.

The proposal I saw the timeline was in FY 2007.

Floyd
02-09-2005, 07:07
Seems like they are wanting to stand up Teams in places where 12th had already had teams before we were shut down.
Bet they are wishing they wouldnt have shut us down

t-rex2025
02-11-2005, 15:29
Seems like they are wanting to stand up Teams in places where 12th had already had teams before we were shut down.
Bet they are wishing they wouldnt have shut us down

Floyd,

I did not undersstand reason myself for shutting down the Army Reserve SF Teams, but I do not think they are any regrets from the DOD for doing so. The deactivation of the Army Reserve Special Forces Team that occured in the 80's was a result of Army wide budget cuts.

Even more important to note is was the transformation of the Reserve system altogether. The Army Reserve gave up all of its Combat Arms Forces and retained only the Combat Support and Service Support Units. Army Reserve Combat Arms Units were redesignated into the National Guard. The federal government saved money because by transforming the units into a National Guard asset the State assumed a portion of the responsiblity for cost, training and maintainance.

This is the reason why you are not likey to see the emergence or reactivation of Army Reserve Special Forces Units. I myself liked it better the way it used to be because it kept all the Reserve SF Team federal, but the reality is in order to keep any SF reserve assets it would have to remain in the National Guard.

That how it was sold to congress.

Floyd
02-12-2005, 07:09
I understand some of the reasoning behind the deactivation of 11th and 12th Groups.
Originally the plan was though for 19th and 11th Groups to be deactivated.
But the National guard has alot more political pull then the reserves had.
Also at the time a valid argument was made as to the legality of Special Operations Forces being in the National Guard because of the law that is the basis
to USSOCOM being established. having SF in the Guard puts another layer in their chain of command between them and SF Command. Another argument was that if SOCOM wanted to deploy an NG SF ODA that a governor could raise a stink about it like Dukakis did with the NG in his state being deployed to Honduras. And for the most part when an ODA is deployed its one of those things that for the most part needs to be done with a minimum of public exposure.
It is kind of ironic though that after everything settled down the NG ended up keeping most of the line companies that had made up 11th and 12th and shut down some of their own companies due to not being able to man them.
Its all said and done now. But damn I miss 12th Group.

abnremf
03-11-2005, 20:32
18C4V,
I'm not on here too much because of the constant crisis that is the Readiness Enhancement Company but, if you're getting guys down in Texas posting that want to join SF but don't know what to do, give them my phone number up here in Watkins and I'll take care of them. By the way, last selection class, 7 candidates sent, 7 candidates selected. Hell of a good way to end this week! Take Care.

sandytroop
03-12-2005, 08:33
184C, I'm the old new guy that came up last week end from NM. I helped with the ropes class and the Role of the SF Engineer class. I know every unit has some problems, but I have to tell you, I thought the REC did a great job that week end. You guys had a good, realistic, well paced program for your Pre-SFAS candidates, and I am sure they learned and benefited from the experience. It was a real pleasure to see the COANG taking this kind of training seriously (I would have LOVED to have had that kind of training before I went to the Course in 80...). If it's a constant crisis up there, you guys do a great job of camouflageing it. Sorry I couldn't stay for Bart's retirement, but I am now sure I did the right thing by comming back. Your 7 and 7 record proves your unit is doing a great job!

NousDefionsDoc
03-12-2005, 09:28
By the way, last selection class, 7 candidates sent, 7 candidates selected.

You got Colonel Howard and Jake J running your prep program? That's outstanding.

18C4V
03-12-2005, 11:08
184C, I'm the old new guy that came up last week end from NM. I helped with the ropes class and the Role of the SF Engineer class. I know every unit has some problems, but I have to tell you, I thought the REC did a great job that week end. You guys had a good, realistic, well paced program for your Pre-SFAS candidates, and I am sure they learned and benefited from the experience. It was a real pleasure to see the COANG taking this kind of training seriously (I would have LOVED to have had that kind of training before I went to the Course in 80...). If it's a constant crisis up there, you guys do a great job of camouflageing it. Sorry I couldn't stay for Bart's retirement, but I am now sure I did the right thing by comming back. Your 7 and 7 record proves your unit is doing a great job!

Sandytroop,
You have me confused with someone else. Although Abnremf and I are in the same battalion, we're in different companies and states. He's part of the cadre for the BN REC. It's been my experience the bn rec is always more successful than the forward deployed companies. It all comes down to money, manpower, streamlined admin process and access to bn assets to help. In CO, you have the whole bn there except for one company (us).

Abnremf,
Tell me about the crisis so we can compare notes. I can always pass it on to our company REC guys. We got two guys (from my team) full time (ADSW) as cadre. One to handle the north and the other to handle south.

Our guys have been doing lousy about a 33 percent pass rate. Usually we'll send 3 guys and only one will make it. Usually med drops (cough bullshit).

Lots of changes in the pipeline. I'm sure you're plugged in. Tell me what you heard or briefed when you went to Mackall. I only know what was briefed from the GTMS which my TL went. The Paraglide article pretty much says what my TL stated to us.

If I get guys Pming about TX, I'll give you a ring. Thanks alot bro.

abnremf
03-13-2005, 10:27
Typical crisis stuff. Guys can't get promoted because of clearance issues, extensions, not sending 1059's back so we can put them in primary slots etc. It's getting better but one guy in the pipeline with a problem can literally take up half my day fixing him. We seriously need one full time ADSW guy from each Bn. in the liason office working on Bn. issues. Those guys in the liason office are doing a great job but 5th bn. alone will have close to 40 people in the pipeline by May. I worked in that office before selection several years ago at the peak of the Guards MOB and that place was controlled chaos at best.
18C4V, I talked with your SGM at BTMS a few weeks ago regarding REP-63's. CO. has 5 of them in the Q right now with about 30 coming up behind them. California policy, per your company, won't entertain REP-63 enlistments. You guys might want to look at that a little deeper because that's a huge asset. If they don't make it, you never see them. They go to a different unit in CA and you don't have to do anything with them. If they do make it, they go to your unit qualified. They're basically free with no effort on the companies part. Somehting to think about.
Changes in the Q. I talked with CSM Z out at Mackall for about an hour. A lot of what was put out at GTMS was not true. Because that course ebs and flows so much, I'll PM with the changes so nonquals won't choke this board with questions about things that really won't matter to them.
Sandytroop, we really appreciated you help last weekend. As you could see we have a lot of motivated candidates. Unfortuneatley I'm now in an awkward position because with this last batch of guys off to selection, I will now have more people in the pipeline than I have attending the REC. Some people would say that was a good thing, but I'm in the business of rebuilding this Bn. and I need fresh bodies. Hope I get more soon!

18C4V
03-13-2005, 11:30
PM sent.

sandytroop
03-14-2005, 16:59
Sorry 18C, I apparently meant for my message to hit Abnrefm. Attention to detail... I should take my Ginko before I hit Send.

HanksZT
10-25-2005, 12:29
Any new info on this Company or Group?

adidasink
11-16-2005, 16:36
My recomendation would be to talk to one of these units, become an NQP and if you are still interested prepare yourself for selection and the pipeline. My unit (B Co, 1-20) has guys that come from the Dallas and Houston and they car pool for IDTs.

TS

PM Inbound
-John

cj13
01-11-2007, 11:35
I jumped Blackwell DZ from a sherpa last week with a major who is tabbed and the intel from him is that they are going to have a qualification drill in March. Probably at Camp Swift, but not confirmed. I will get in contact to find a POC for you guys that are interested.

Verruckt
02-10-2007, 12:09
I jumped Blackwell DZ from a sherpa last week with a major who is tabbed and the intel from him is that they are going to have a qualification drill in March. Probably at Camp Swift, but not confirmed. I will get in contact to find a POC for you guys that are interested.

CJ13

Any word on this? If true, it would be a month out.. would be curious to hear. Thanks.

Lothar
02-19-2007, 15:39
I talked to a guy at work last week that said supposedlly there was a "try out"(his words not mine) at Camp Mayberry in Austin. That would have been on 10/11 FEB. I havent seen him, but if I do I'll see if he has any non-class info.

resctech
02-19-2007, 17:32
I received an email from my readiness NCO, and word from a TXARNG recruiter , about an assessment drill being conducted on 30 Mar - 01 Apr. I can't find the copy of the email at the moment, but it stated the drill to be held at Camp Bullis. There was a POC, instructions, and eluded to the fact that this probably wouldn't be the only one...if anyone is associated with the Texas Guard, this was a division tasker, try contacting your units. The announcement has been out for a couple of weeks from what I was told.
Still searching.....

cj13
02-21-2007, 14:20
I have the requested information. If interested, pls PM me.

resctech
02-21-2007, 17:33
Also found the above mentioned information, PM if desired.

Neo
02-22-2007, 07:03
cj13,

PM sent concerning that information.

Thanks

SF-TX
04-13-2007, 11:39
The Texas Army National Guard is in the process of standing up a Special Forces Company. Therefore, there are still many unanswered questions.

If you would like more information, send an e-mail to NGTX-SF@ng.army.mil, or call (512) 782-5949.

Txwrh
04-14-2007, 16:18
Yeah man,
Definitely interested.