PDA

View Full Version : Son Tay GAU/5 repoduction

Brush Okie
01-25-2016, 19:56
Troy industries is now making a reproduction of the one on Son Tay raiders used. Not sure if there are any raiders on here but I am sure some of you knew or know one or two.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/25/troy-industries-introduces-gau-5-reproduction-carbine/#comments

In partnership with The National League of POW/MIA Families.

The GAU-5/A/A is the United States Air Force version of the XM117E2 Commando Carbine. This firearm historically replicates the weapon used by The Son Tay Raiders in the largest rescue attempt of American POWs. 45 of the 56 Special Forces troopers were equipped with the GAU during the night raid on the Son Tay prison camp. The GAU-5/A/A was highly desired by Commando Forces for its compact size, fire power, high reliability and reduced signature.

In partnership with The National League of POW/MIA Families, we offer this limited edition, historically accurate GAU-5/A/A with modern manufacturing excellence. Portions of the proceeds will go directly to support their sole purpose: “to obtain the release of all prisoners, the fullest possible accounting for the missing and repatriation of all recoverable remains of those who died serving our nation during Vietnam.”

mojaveman
01-25-2016, 20:46
Like this? And if you could find one of the original optics?

CAARNG 68W
01-25-2016, 21:08
Wasn't the most interesting thing about those was the lack of a forward assist; why would that be considered advantageous?

Brush Okie
01-25-2016, 21:32
Wasn't the most interesting thing about those was the lack of a forward assist; why would that be considered advantageous?

The original M-16/AR-15 did NOT have a forward assist. For some reason the GAU series many did not probably because they were built from old upper (just guessing)

As a left handed guy the forward assist on the A1 and brass deflectors on the A2. Suck to carry at times over time and distance cuz it digs into you. The nice thing about the brass deflector is hot brass is not going down your shirt all the time.

A buddy of mine has a colt SP-1 carbine that is a close to the civilian GAU/ Colt Commando/XM177 as you could get years ago, and it has no forward assist. His even has the FAKE moderator pinned to it.

Razor
01-25-2016, 22:04
If you're more of a DIY kind of guy, Nodak Spud offers several options, from 80% finished to fully milled and coated:

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Sdiver
01-25-2016, 22:07
I have an M&P-15 sport model and it doesn't have a forward assist either.

Also doesn't have a dust cover.

Haven't had any problems with it ..... yet.

PSM
01-25-2016, 22:46
Is the forward assist even necessary any more? I was an M-14 guy, but my understanding was that the assist was added because of the early jams in RVN. I've put a lot of rounds through my AR without cleaning it (it's on my to-do list ;)) and haven't needed it.

Pat

JJ_BPK
01-26-2016, 07:39
Is the forward assist even necessary any more?
Pat

I also have doubts of it's usefulness. To me a jam or FTF means something is blocking the chamber or the ammo is mis-shaped. Jamming a round into the chamber seems counter productive??

:munchin

Razor
01-26-2016, 08:10
A FA does come in handy when you are trying to quietly chamber a round and ride the charging handle forward slowly. Sometimes the bolt doesn't lock fully when doing this, and a gentle push on the FA helps get the job done without a lot of noise.

mark46th
01-26-2016, 09:16
Mojaveman- The soldier in the picture is MSG Billy K Moore (RIP). I had the honor of serving with him in the 5th SFG(A) when I was assigned there after Training Group in 1971.

Ambush Master
01-26-2016, 12:20
The Sight is a Singlepoint. I believe they were made in either Sweden or Switzerland and they contained Radioactive Components that were illegal in the US. I carried one for a while on my XM177E2 @ CCC.

Guymullins
01-26-2016, 15:59
That Forward Assist thingy always reminded me of the old BSA motorcycle company that despaired of ever curing the oil leaks on their bikes, so built a sponge lined tray that lay beneath the crank-case.

Ret10Echo
01-26-2016, 17:22
The Sight is a Singlepoint. I believe they were made in either Sweden or Switzerland and they contained Radioactive Components that were illegal in the US. I carried one for a while on my XM177E2 @ CCC.

Found this (attached). Popular Mechanics, September 1970

"Invented in Sweden, manufactured in Great Britian"

"rumor has it the U.S. Army is conducting tests for possible inclusion of Singlepoint in its own inventory"

Normark Corporation 1710 E 78th St Minneapolis, MN

JJ_BPK
01-26-2016, 18:17
There were two models of the singlepoint.

With(day/nite) and without(day) the tritium modules/vile. You can tell by the little capped access point on the forward barrel. The tritium has a fairly short half life around 3yrs, if I remember. It is contained in a very fragile sealed glass vile. If broken it dissipates.

The tritium feature used in the UK/Israeli trilux S.U.I.T. scope. Trijicon also use it in their early models.

It was illegal to import the tritium, but there was a supplier from china that imported little key-chain fobs that had the vial sealed in plastic. The guys on the FN FAL boards purchased most all the supply. This was back in the 90t's??

Every so often you can search ebay and find some in the Chinese junk toy/wigget section.

frostfire
01-28-2016, 16:15
A FA does come in handy when you are trying to quietly chamber a round and ride the charging handle forward slowly. Sometimes the bolt doesn't lock fully when doing this, and a gentle push on the FA helps get the job done without a lot of noise.

Also press check with or without light IMHOO

With AK I just ride the bolt forward manually, slowly, and quietly, then pull a bit, feel the round in chamber, and back to battery quielty :D