View Full Version : Cuba post-Castro

Roguish Lawyer
02-10-2004, 10:22
http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110004675

Twilight in Havana
Cuban tyranny may not die with Castro.

BY MARY ANASTASIA O'GRADY
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 12:01 a.m. EST

Now and then rumors surface that Fidel Castro is not in the best health--that he is even at death's door. Only last month the Miami Herald reported that such a rumor was buzzing through South Florida, "with anxious callers inundating police departments, media outlets and exile groups."

"Anxious" here probably means "eager." There is little doubt that when Fidel waves his revolutionary finger in the air and denounces the imperialist Yankees for the last time, the tectonic plates of Cuba's political system will heave mightily. Exiles call it the "biological solution." Conventional wisdom holds that the regime will crumble, freedom will blossom and the path to Cuban prosperity will open up at last.

Mark Falcoff isn't so sure. In "Cuba: The Morning After," Mr. Falcoff concludes that post-Castro Cuba may well struggle hard to recover from more than four decades of dictatorship. "Failed states typically become--like Haiti--platforms for the export of illicit substances, centers of international criminality, and vessels leaking illegal immigrants," he writes. "Perhaps, indeed, the island will somehow avoid this fate, but present indicators do not offer much encouragement."

This is no casual speculation. Mr. Falcoff, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, offers a painstaking historical analysis and a detailed investigation of Cuba's current realities. Castroism in its present form, he notes, is widely expected to collapse once the bearded one passes away. He cites Elizardo Sánchez, a prominent island dissident, saying: "When the days of charismatic caudillos are over, their ideologies are also over." And Cuban-born writer Roberto Luque Escalona: Castro's regime "is an edifice constructed on one pillar. It cannot stand once the pillar has fallen."

But that doesn't mean that dictatorship will not go on. Raul Castro, Fidel's brother, who heads the Cuban military, has warned that "things are all arranged--but good." Indeed, Raul has "summoned to life a new structure of power within the existing regime," writes Mr. Falcoff, "by putting professionals and military men loyal to him in key positions, particularly in the few dynamic sectors of the economy such as biomedical products and tourism." What is more, the Castro family runs an economic empire that represents, according to accounts in the Spanish press, "$1 billion worth of transactions a year." Prying greedy hands off that war chest may take more than the death of an old man.

Other obstacles abound, Mr. Falcoff argues, even if the dictatorship topples like the Berlin Wall. Cuba, once prosperous, is now desperately poor, and one of Castro's legacies is the destruction of the whole framework of civil society. Gone are the entrepreneurs of Spanish-immigrant culture. Gone are the vibrant business groups, labor federations and professional societies. Gone are the engines of wealth, like a profitable sugar industry. The regime has trashed the island's environment and badly damaged its human capital. Cuba now ranks among the world's top five nations in suicides per capita. Even psychologically healthy Cubans are burdened by years of indoctrination, with its bias against individual responsibility and risk-taking.

By the end of Mr. Falcoff's thorough work, it is easy to feel less than sanguine about Cuba's future, at least in the near term. Yet that is what sober, scholarly assessments are for: to throw doubt on easy triumphalism. One thing is certain: Nothing will change until Fidel dies, so powerful is the cult of personality surrounding him and the romance of his revolutionary past.

An early glimpse of the Castro myth is on display in Alma Guillermoprieto's "Dancing With Cuba," a vivid memoir of her six months as a dance instructor there in 1970. When she arrives in Havana from New York, at age 20, she meets privation, inequality and repression. But she is mesmerized by El Maximo Lider and resists the temptation to hold him accountable for Cuban suffering. The first time she hears him speak, she decides that "there had never existed a more lucid, heroic man." She recalls another time: "For more than three hours I lost myself in a rapture that was produced not so much by the speech as by the sonorous undulation of his words and his expression of pain."
Ms. Guillermoprieto's visit to Cuba coincides with "The Ten Million Ton Harvest," a national push to overcome Soviet dependency. The country's revolutionary pride depends on its success. Everywhere are plastered slogans to inspire Cuban citizens to cut sugar cane day and night. Naturally, the effort fails. But Fidel remains above it all, spellbinding, "transporting us with him on the wings of his rhetoric, jabbing a prophet's blazing finger."

Fidel's magnetism seduces the dance instructor, but the effects on the Cuban people of his decade in power horrify her daily. Dire food shortages are an unceasing source of distress. "I was about to weep from hunger," she recalls. "If putting up with a few hunger pangs was every revolutionary's duty, why did I feel so famished?" Indeed, she is hungry for all that the revolution prohibits. She wants to eat chocolate bars and listen to Mozart and watch the ballet. She doesn't want to cut sugar cane. This provokes self-hatred. "You are unredeemable," she tells herself.

It is, though, intellectual and artistic repression that takes the biggest toll on her psyche. "Is it possible to be an intellectual outside the Revolution? To say yes was immediately to become a counterrevolutionary. To say no, for me, meant an attempt at self-annihilation."

Ms. Guillermoprieto's problem was that she longed to be free and yet couldn't relinquish the dreamy ideals of Marxism. As she explained to her guerrilla lover: "I don't like living here and at the same time it's clear to me that the Revolution is absolutely necessary to the better future of humanity."

In some quarters this is known as cognitive dissonance. When it comes to Cuba, plenty of people still suffer from it.

Ms. O'Grady edits The Wall Street Journal's Americas column.

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2004, 11:17
What do you think RL?

Roguish Lawyer
02-10-2004, 12:02
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
What do you think RL?

I really don't know enough to have an opinion. My assumptions -- and that's all they are -- are that the regime in Cuba is close to collapsing and that there are plenty of well-capitalized people planning to return and fix the place when this happens. Won't be easy, but it should be doable.

What do you think?

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2004, 14:50
I think that we won't know until it happens. I honestly think this is a rare case of it could go either way. Inertia is hard to break in a group.

I also think that the US should do everything in its power to make sure it goes our way when he does go down. Some of the others, including Raul, don't seem as stable as Fidel to me and I don't want AQ guarding MPs in Gitmo.

Huey14
02-12-2004, 06:50
Extreme thoughts, I know, but could there the possibility of a civil war between a number of factions who want power?

lrd
04-23-2004, 07:09
Is this posturing?

----------------------------------------

Cuban leader Fidel Castro meets visiting Chinese general
Havana, Apr 23, 2004 (BBC Monitoring via COMTEX) --

Fidel Castro, first secretary of the central committee of the Communist Party of Cuba, chairman of the State Council and the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Cuba, and commander-in-chief of the Revolutionary Armed Forces, met with visiting General Xu Caihou, CCP [Chinese Communist Party] Central Committee Secretariat member, Central Military Commission member, and China's PLA [People's Liberation Army] General Political Department director, and his entourage at the Revolution Palace in Havana on the evening of 22 April.

Castro expressed a warm welcome to Xu Caihou and his entourage. He pointed out: The bilateral ties between Cuba and China have been developing very well. Through mutual visits of the leaders, the friendly relations between Cuba and China have shown a strong development momentum. Castro said: The Cuban people are very happy and also deeply inspired by China's successful economic development. He hoped that China could develop at a faster speed and realize the reunification of the motherland at an early date. Xu Caihou said: Although China and Cuba are [geographically] far apart, China and Cuba share common interests and a common language on many issues. In recent years, the friendly cooperative ties between the two countries have developed rapidly. China and Cuba have supported each other politically, enhanced cooperation economically, and closely cooperated with each other in international affairs. Both parties, both countries, and both armies have maintained a good relationship. Xu Caihou pointed out: On the basis of the continuous development of bilateral ties, the relations between the two armies have achieved satisfactory development. Over the past many years, the personnel contacts of the two armies have been frequent. The exchanges in various fields have been continuously deepened. The cooperative results have been fruitful. The Chinese side is willing to make joint efforts with the Cuban side to promote the forward development of the relations of the two armies. Present at the meeting were: China's PLA Navy Political Commissar Hu Yanlin, Air Force Political Department Director Sun Junzhe, Beijing Military Region Chief of Staff Chang Wanquan, China's National Defence Ministry Foreign Affairs Office Director Zhang Bangdong and Chinese Ambassador to Cuba Li Lianfu.

Source: Xinhua news agency domestic service, Beijing, in Chinese 0748 gmt 23 Apr 04

Roguish Lawyer
04-27-2004, 07:00
Originally posted by lrd
Is this posturing?

I'm not so sure it says very much. I'm no expert on Cuba, but one would think that there has been this type of cooperation in the past and this is just a meaningless press release.

brownapple
04-27-2004, 09:16
I agree that we won't know until it happens, but I would not be surprised to see civil war, or to see Raul flee. I don't see Raul captivating the Cuban people as Fidel has done.

QRQ 30
04-27-2004, 10:05
There was dancing in the streets when Stalin died but the Soviet Union lasted another thirty years after his death.

Castro said that if his government could last three generations it would survive since most of the citizens will have grown up under his regime. It has. Now we wait and see.

pulque
05-23-2004, 00:33
HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuba restored citizenship on Friday to seven veterans of the failed 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion in a gesture of reconciliation toward Cuban exiles living in the United States.

The seven men were members of the CIA-trained Brigade 2506 that landed on Cuba's south coast in an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the fledgling leftist government of Fidel Castro.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=5224476

I wonder how many of Brigade 2506 were offered this citizenship and refused..