PDA

View Full Version : New carry gun.........

Mills
01-07-2016, 21:51
Well guys, new years resolution complete.

I quit using Copenhagen.

I think I deserve a new gun.

It seems to be a toss up between the M&P Shield 9mm and the Glock 42 (.380). I have heard mixed reviews on both, however I have heard of more mechanical issues with the Glock 42. The M&P Shield complaints seem to be standard based on people that might prefer the XD or the Glock. I like that the shield has a safety so that the wife could have it in the purse from time to time as well.

Anyone have experience with either?

if I can't decide, I might be just going with the S&W .38 snubnose.

RomanCandle
01-08-2016, 03:21
If I may ask why M&P 9mm vs Glock 42 .380? What about the Glock 43 that offers 9mm in the same size?

JJ_BPK
01-08-2016, 07:07
I would stay with the 9mm vs the 380 if all other factors are even.

Fist size seems to be one of the 1st go-nogo tests. A lot of people don't like 1.5 or 2 finger grips.

You might also look at the new SIG swappable frame P250..

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p250.aspx

ADDED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfC4Qw8Vu0

Streck-Fu
01-08-2016, 07:36
In similar sized weapons, I see zero advantage in .380 over 9mm as it is a lower power round and more expensive to shoot.

UWOA (RIP)
01-08-2016, 08:31
In similar sized weapons, I see zero advantage in .380 over 9mm as it is a lower power round and more expensive to shoot.

What he said ....

DIYPatriot
01-08-2016, 09:07
I have several stun guns (9mm) as TS calls them, a couple .40's and a couple .45's - wish I had NEVER bought a 380. It's like the redheaded stepchild that rarely gets fed. Several of my friends have the G43 and love it. A couple carry the Shield and really like it as well. Guess my thoughts are to stick with 9mm if you have other 9mm guns. 380 ammo is overpriced in my neck of the woods, anyway.

By the way...all my buddies got a decent little discount with the Glock blue label program. Not sure if that might persuade you. It knocked $100 off the purchase price.

https://us.glock.com/bluelabel

Box
01-08-2016, 09:38
I just bought a Ruger LCR in 9mm.
I like it a lot.

DIYPatriot
01-08-2016, 10:26
I like it a lot.

That LCR is too big to roll up in your running socks (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=550779&postcount=29). I have one of these holsters (http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Ankle-Lite-Holster-Ruger/dp/B003UG7L7G) for my 380 and it's super comfy. It holds my wife's LCP as well. The one I linked is for the LCR. Other ankle holsters seemed to bite into my skin. As a reminder to anyone reading this - if you order from Amazon, please remember to use the smile.amazon.com link that TS posted a while back (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46743&highlight=smile.amazon).

TrapperFrank
01-08-2016, 11:28
My EDC is a Ruger LCP in .380, that being said, i carry it along with an extra magazine. It suits my needs and I am happy with it.

koz
01-08-2016, 12:10
get the G43. It's a small good shooting pistol. The Shield isn't bad but the G43 is better shooting.

Box
01-08-2016, 14:25
I can't carry in an ankle holster or a sock if I am running, carrying a gun when I am running does me no good.

-Even if I am running very slow (which in my current state is actually my only speed) I am usually breathing too hard to even SEE the sights much less hold them steady long enough to pull the trigger.
I can't stand the thought of being shot dead while holding a pistol because I am gasping for breath while trying to acquire a sight picture.

My defense posture if ever confronted while already running, is to continue running.
...and to try running in a serpentine pattern. Most people are incapable of taking well aimed shots while making rapid course corrections.
Serpentine everyone - SERPENTINE !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmprF6e0RA

Joker
01-08-2016, 15:22
I can't carry in an ankle holster or a sock if I am running, carrying a gun when I am running does me no good.

-Even if I am running very slow (which in my current state is actually my only speed) I am usually breathing too hard to even SEE the sights much less hold them steady long enough to pull the trigger.
I can't stand the thought of being shot dead while holding a pistol because I am gasping for breath while trying to acquire a sight picture.

My defense posture if ever confronted while already running, is to continue running.
...and to try running in a serpentine pattern. Most people are incapable of taking well aimed shots while making rapid course corrections.
Serpentine everyone - SERPENTINE !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmprF6e0RA

Sawed-off shotgun. :D

zeke
01-08-2016, 17:28
I have a Shield in .40 S&W that has been sent back two times and will be sent back again for Failure to Feed issues. I don't trust the gun.

I have an XDS in .45 that has had no issues. Side by side the guns seem to be almost exactly the same size. I haven't put as many rounds through the XDS but I have more faith in it than the Shield.

The Reaper
01-08-2016, 17:42
Started with a Colt Commander, went to a Seecamp, a Para P-12 and then a P-10, a Kel-Tec P3AT, got a Ruger LC9 and carried it briefly (too many safeties, shitty trigger, clunky, bulky, very snappy), now experimenting with a Kahr CM9 and a Glock 19, depending on how well I can conceal it without an inappropriate amount of clothing.

I looked at the Smith Shield and Kel-Tec PF-9 as alternatives to the Kahr.

TR

DinDinA-2
01-08-2016, 18:22
I switch off carrying the M&P Shield 9 w/safety and a Ruger LC9s w/safety.

For the shield, I put in an Apex hard sear and striker block and the trigger is very nice now. 4 1/2 lbs or so. It was absolutely horrible before. Trigger a bit long on the first round, but nice short reset on follow up shots. For some reason, for me, I really have to focus to NOT shoot a bit left. Apex has good triggers to eliminate the take up...but who wants to spend over $100 on a $400 gun. Not quite as snappy as the LC9s.

The LC9s, again has a bit long trigger pull on the first round, subsequent shots nice short reset. Trigger pull is light, a bit lighter than I like. However I shoot it better than the shield.

The LC9s is very comfortable IWB, and small profile. The shield a bit less so.

The LC9s Pro comes with no mag disconnect, but no manual safety.

The LC9s comes with manual safety, but does have the mag disconnect. I took out the mag disconnect, because I wanted one with the manual safety.

PRB
01-08-2016, 18:50
My EDC is a Ruger LCP in .380, that being said, i carry it along with an extra magazine. It suits my needs and I am happy with it.

Me too. I carry 2 extra mags in my left hand pocket...if it's to heavy or obtrusive it won't be carried and I don't wear sport coats daily.

When I run I carry my M4...:) I live in Az and no one cares. Rifle PT just because I'm a nut.

frostfire
01-08-2016, 21:57
get the G43. It's a small good shooting pistol. The Shield isn't bad but the G43 is better shooting.

Concur.

Also, if you can conceal it, G26 + truglo TFO + solid fundamentals = consistent hit at 100 yards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6T2hp9jKs
Once my G26 and carry ammo can hit reliably at 100 yards, and I can conceal it from business suit to jogging outfit to ankle holster, I ditch my full size guns and stopped searching for better subcompacts.
I've never pushed G43 that far and beyond. If it does the job, then I'll probably ditch the 26.

Kel-Tec PF-9

Two words. Hand cannon...
I'll be the last to claim solid grip and forearms (Yes, according to TS I prefer sissy pistol-caliber combo...although I have to shoot .45 rapid fire one handed for competition. ), but I could not drive that PF9 to meet any tactical/combat standards. My recovery sucks, follow up shot sucks, muzzle flips like nothing else, and had to reacquire grip.

The LC9 are great once you put aftermarket trigger kit, but as someone pointed out, that's extra $100

PSM
01-08-2016, 23:16
Well, I'm not a big guy at all, but I EDC a .45 USPc in a Crossbreed IWB holster and, I swear, I often forget that it's there. It's the holster, not the gun. I'm not pushing the Crossbreed, just the style. I made an Old Faithful IWB for the USPc with laser and wasn't happy with my results, so I'm going to reconfigure it for my wife's 9mm XD. No need to go small to be comfortable.

Pat

I am Al
01-09-2016, 09:37
Well guys, new years resolution complete.

I quit using Copenhagen.

I think I deserve a new gun.

It seems to be a toss up between the M&P Shield 9mm and the Glock 42 (.380). I have heard mixed reviews on both, however I have heard of more mechanical issues with the Glock 42. The M&P Shield complaints seem to be standard based on people that might prefer the XD or the Glock. I like that the shield has a safety so that the wife could have it in the purse from time to time as well.

Anyone have experience with either?

if I can't decide, I might be just going with the S&W .38 snubnose.

Not an expert shooter like many here (I'm a technology guy), but I have some of the pistols mentioned. This is my take FWIW...

My Glock 42 is more accurate and fun to shoot than any of the small pistols I have. Almost no recoil. Time back on target is minimal. You can pocket carry it, but it's a little on the big side. Mine is sensitive to ammo brand. Wrong brand ammo and lots of FTE's. From what I've seen it's a crap shoot if that will be an issue with a specific 42. Which ammo doesn't work seems to vary from pistol to pistol.

The LCP got mentioned. My gen 2 is a nice small pocket carry. I don't like that the slide doesn't lock back after the last shot and mine also has an issue with brand related FTE's.

The SIG P250 was mentioned. My gen 2 is totally reliable, but unless you have really huge pockets, it's too big for pocket carry. Similar size as a G26, but heavier. It has a very smooth double action trigger.

S&W 642 snub. Fits in all my pockets and is my favorite pocket carry. I try to put 50 rounds through it a week. Always goes bang when you pull the trigger. I put in a Wolf spring and polished the trigger. It has pull similar to the SIG. For me, the snub starts getting hard to shoot accurately past 10m. Some friends have LCR's that are equally reliable.

The SIG (OWB) and 642 (pocket) are my favorite carry pistols. One thing I like about the double action trigger is I can practice multiple shot, multiple target scenarios in the basement using a laser cartridge without having to re-rack the slide like with the strikers.

Bleed Green
01-09-2016, 10:44
First of all I have got to say congratulations on giving up the Cope. I had heard that quitting was worse than giving up heroin and i know it was tough, but 3 years later I have not had a chew or a cig. Keep up the good work amigo!

I got my wife a SP2022 in 40 S&W. The intent was to get it for her, she doesn't like shooting guns, and after she realized that again it would default to me. You know what they say about the best laid plans.... The thing is a tack driver and shoots a whole lot better than my P2000 with the only down side is she loves it almost as much as her bow. I am thinking she is not going to like the 308 I am getting her for her birthday.:D

abc_123
01-09-2016, 10:47
I like it a lot.

I was looking at an LCR in .327 federal. Am trying to work on the wife to carry. Anything not a revolver is "too complicated" for her. I was figuring I could load it up with .32 s&W, .32 ACP for really low recoil practice then move her to .32H&R mag, before loading with .327 fed. If she doesn't like the .327 fed then back down to the .32 H&R we go.

And it's a 6 shooter .

Just what I was thinking now that I have a little $$ left over from christmas.

Bleed Green
01-09-2016, 11:18
This one may be a tad on the impractical side, but the sound it makes would scare anybody in close on the receiving end into a coronary.:D

http://theaviationist.com/2016/01/08/this-gau-8a-avenger-30-mm-gun-firing-test-footage-is-pretty-impressive/

tonyz
01-09-2016, 11:35
This one may be a tad on the impractical side, but the sound it makes would scare anybody in close on the receiving end into a coronary.:D

http://theaviationist.com/2016/01/08/this-gau-8a-avenger-30-mm-gun-firing-test-footage-is-pretty-impressive/

Perfect for AIWB carry. :D

Rob_Frey
01-09-2016, 19:38
I got a G43 for pocket carry and as a backup gun. I have bought some extra mags with the finger hook on the bottom to get a better grip. If I were to do it over, I would get the cheaper flat bottom ones, and get some Taran Tactical +2 extensions and one +1 extension for the concealability on the first mag. The spare mags would have the +2's on them.

I like the flatter profile over the S&W 642 I used to have. I also use the same ammo as my G19, eliminating the need to buy .38 Special.

Mills
01-10-2016, 08:26
Went with the M&P Shield 9mm.

Came in at just over $300 for the piece and 3 mags.

Can't beat that price for what you get.

The trigger is pretty heavy though, I may look into upgrading that later on.

Streck-Fu
01-11-2016, 07:24
Went with the M&P Shield 9mm.

Came in at just over $300 for the piece and 3 mags.

Can't beat that price for what you get.

The trigger is pretty heavy though, I may look into upgrading that later on.

Nice price on that.

Apex is your source for M&P improvements. LINK (https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191855)

koz
01-11-2016, 10:45
[re:Kel-Tel PF9]
Two words. Hand cannon...
I'll be the last to claim solid grip and forearms (Yes, according to TS I prefer sissy pistol-caliber combo...although I have to shoot .45 rapid fire one handed for competition. ), but I could not drive that PF9 to meet any tactical/combat standards. My recovery sucks, follow up shot sucks, muzzle flips like nothing else, and had to reacquire grip.

I've got one that I will probably never shoot. Very uncomfortable to shoot. Not accurate. I've got big hands and couldn't get comfortable grip (I also had to readjust every shot). The muzzle flip. I'd rather shoot that soft heavy 45ACP than the Kel-tec. I had a Para P10 that felt better to shoot.