PDA

View Full Version : Building Flintlocks, like the Pennsylvania long rifle

Team Sergeant
12-30-2015, 05:43
Ok, I've decided to get into building long rifles of the 17th and 18th centuries, such as the Pennsylvania long rifle. I'm reading all I can before I start the process and am quite intimidated by the woodworking. Anyone have some good reads/advice on the wood working process?

miclo18d
12-30-2015, 07:09
Ok, I've decided to get into building long rifles of the 17th and 18th centuries, such as the Pennsylvania long rifle. I'm reading all I can before I start the process and am quite intimidated by the woodworking. Anyone have some good reads/advice on the wood working process?

Uhhhhh...WOW! I didn't realize this stuff was out there!

This may be a future build for me as well. After my ar, after my garand....

BryanK
12-30-2015, 08:22
TS,

Have you visited any local hardwood lumber companies? I can't speak for AZ, but at the lumber yard my stepdad owned in MD, they had a retail shop in the back of the yard where he sold rough firearm stocks. You could ask them if they either have the capability there at the yard to make a rough-cut stock, or if they know a local woodworker that dabbles in such endeavors. Good luck!

Ret10Echo
12-30-2015, 09:28
I'd probably start with a blank first time around...to get the proper grain, form and curve depending on the region and period you choose TS.

Places like Dunlop Woodcrafts or Track of the Wolf have blanks available. Short of starting out with a piece of rough-cut lumber... But maybe that is the challenge you are seeking.

The Bedford County rifle is my personal favorite

R10

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/bedford-co-john-stoudenour/

Rob_Frey
12-30-2015, 10:42
The Track of the Wolf as mentioned above is a good source for the parts you'll need. Unless you're going to make everything the same way as depicted in the "Gunsmith of Williamsburg" film, they can get you what you need.

PRB
12-30-2015, 11:20
TS,
This is a good source for blanks and inletted blanks..

http://cabincreek.net/revspecs/colonial-virginia-rifle/

I've two nice early colonial flintlocks in .54 that you are invited to inspect/shoot if you'd like.

I also have two large volumes of original early (Colonial period) rifle/smooth rifle works that demonstrate the different period approach to carving and structure you can borrow...great reference if you are looking for a nice period piece.

Getting the appropriate lock and furniture is key with the right kind of patchbox.
I've a sliding wood patchbox that is the F&I to early Colonial period that I like best historically.

BTW, Collerain round cut rifling barrels are the way to go

Team Sergeant
12-30-2015, 11:31
I've purchased a number of reading, dvd's etc from Track of the Wolf, seems to be a great source of material.

I've also looked up stock blanks and there's a few high quality companies out there.

After all the reading, & how to videos I will probably make my purchase....

Nice rifle PRB!!!! After I'm done researching all the material I've purchased I'd like to borrow what you have and read that as well, thanks!

PRB
12-30-2015, 11:59
I've purchased a number of reading, dvd's etc from Track of the Wolf, seems to be a great source of material.

I've also looked up stock blanks and there's a few high quality companies out there.

After all the reading, & how to videos I will probably make my purchase....

Nice rifle PRB!!!! After I'm done researching all the material I've purchased I'd like to borrow what you have and read that as well, thanks!

It's a nice shooter too...I really enjoy the 'process' of the flint and getting to understand the ignition system for proper set up. Flint knapping/prep is an art but you get an eye for it and I'll get 20-30 shots to a nice flint before I re knap it.
Just make sure your barrel vent hole is level with the top of the pan line....whn you close your frizzen the vent hole should be 50% covered by the frizzen cover and 50% below the pan line.
If it's down in the pan you'll get crappy ignition.
That and the bullet comes out the pointy end.

Go Devil
12-30-2015, 15:36
I've built a few, 2 from kits and and 1 from scratch.
I recommend a kit from Jim Chambers, Track of the Wolf buys parts from makers such as Jim Chambers and adds a mark up.

Tricky part...... This leads to making powder horns, shot bags, and all of the other long hunter accoutrements.;)

Hit me up and I can talk you through selection, ordering, build, finish, and zero.

I'd be happy to host you for the National Shoot in Friendship Indiana.

Go Devil
12-30-2015, 15:41

Go Devil
12-30-2015, 15:43

Go Devil
12-30-2015, 15:45

Toaster
01-01-2016, 01:37
The Modern Gunsmith by Howe, from the early 40s has a lot of information in there about woodworking.

I've found it online for free, but cannot remember what site. There is bound to be some useful information for your project in it. I haven't read it in a while been sitting on the bookshelf for a while.

A quick search showed many places that have it for download.

craigepo
01-01-2016, 10:21
I would love to have a nice .54 to hunt an elk with. They do seem a little pricey. But, some of these folks make some beautiful rifles.

Dusty
01-01-2016, 15:51
TS, you'll get hooked on that hobby. ;)

Stiletto11
01-01-2016, 17:38
American Long Rifles.com
Track of the Wolf.com
Muzzleloaders builder supply
Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply
RE Davis Company

Go Devil