PDA

View Full Version : "Clown Prince of Basketball" dead at 83

PSM
12-28-2015, 14:50
Rest in Peace Meadowlark Lemon! (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/12/28/harlem-globetrotters-star-meadowlark-lemon-dies-at-83.html)

[Meadow George] Lemon changed his first name to the distinctive "Meadowlark" in the 1950s because, he later said, “The birds named meadowlark are known for their sweet and happy songs. I always tried to put a song in the hearts of my fans.”

Over the next 22 years, Lemon was the most visible member of the Globetrotters during an era when their popularity rivaled that of most NBA teams. Their barnstorming tour took them across America and around the world. Those who couldn't get tickets could watch their regular appearances on ABC's "Wide World of Sports."

I was fortunate enough to see Meadowlark and the Globetrotters live twice in the '60s, once in Jr. High and again in High School on the school court. Loads of fun.

Pat

Sohei
12-28-2015, 15:21
Rest In Peace, Meadowlark!

Pete
12-28-2015, 16:06
.....and again in High School on the school court. Loads of fun.

Pat

Must of been 70 or 71 when they came to play in our High School Gym. The place was packed.

Loved the show.

cedsall
12-28-2015, 16:18
Must of been 70 or 71 when they came to play in our High School Gym. The place was packed.

Loved the show.

Same here. They played to a full house in our high school gym in the early 70's.

RIP Meadowlark Lemon. You brought a lot of laughter to the world.

JJ_BPK
12-28-2015, 17:54
RIP Meadowlark..

I remember seeing the trotters in the early 60t's. My dad worked at IBM in Poughkeepsie, and they would bring the GlobeTrotters in every year to play at the country club. The court was the size of most HS,, small... Every seat was front row..

It was awesome...

kalanis
12-29-2015, 06:42
The Globetrotters came to my YMCA when I was a kid, and later my mom took me to the Neal Blaisdell Center to see the show.

RIP

Pete
12-29-2015, 07:01
Back in the Day there was a lot of talent traveling through America playing at these small venues like High School Gyms.

They didn't hold "that" big a crowd and the tickets were not "that" expensive.

When was that last time folks went to a tent 3 ring circus? Mine was about 20 years ago.

Some call it progress I guess.

Donkey Basketball? They played that in the HS Gym also. That was a hoot.

1stindoor
12-29-2015, 08:38
Parents took us when I was a kid, probably very early 70s. It's one of those memories that last a lifetime. And you're right Pete, now if it doesn't cost a small fortune, include pyrotechnics, lasers, and a host of other expensive "add-ons" it's considered lame.

Anyone ever see the fast pitch softball team, The King and His Court?

TrapperFrank
12-29-2015, 10:04
The Globetrotters actually had two units that would tour. Saw them twice, both times in a small gym. They were a hoot and the Washington Generals, their opposition, never had a chance. Around this time, there was another act that toured the country called the King and His Court. It was a four man softball team that featured the one and only Eddie Feigner. He was the pitcher and they would take on all comers.

Dusty
12-29-2015, 10:46
Class act.
Prayers out to the family

PSM
12-29-2015, 10:46
Back in the Day there was a lot of talent traveling through America playing at these small venues like High School Gyms.

They didn't hold "that" big a crowd and the tickets were not "that" expensive.

When was that last time folks went to a tent 3 ring circus? Mine was about 20 years ago.

Some call it progress I guess.

Donkey Basketball? They played that in the HS Gym also. That was a hoot.

That's what Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper were doing when they were killed.

The last 3 ring circus I saw was not in a tent, it was in the Forum in L.A. but did have 3 rings. That was in the early '80s.

Donkey basketball, in H.S., was between the teachers and the athletes. I don't remember who won but it was funny as hell.

Pat

cowboykpy
12-29-2015, 13:24
RIP, Meadowlark. saw the Globetrotters at Reunion arena in Dallas in the late 80s or early 90s when I was in grade school. Great show, took my daughters to Barnum and Bailey in Austin about three years ago.

VVVV
12-31-2015, 01:37
I remember watching the Trotters when Goose Tatum was the star attraction , and later when Meadowlark played. My wife worked with a former Trotter who played with both of them back in the mid '60s...he had some funny stories to tell.

RIP Meadowlark

tonyz
12-31-2015, 19:41
Anyone ever see the fast pitch softball team, The King and His Court?

Yup, Eddie Feigner. Another class sports entertainer.
RIP Meadowlark you brought a lot of joy to this world.
Anyone else mesmerized as a kid by "Curly" Neal's dribbling?