PDA

View Full Version : What smart gun features would you actually be interested in?

Mycroft
12-10-2015, 20:02
In addition to the titular question, what weapons in the small arms category do you think would benefit most from possible technological upgrades?

Take this question with the understanding that nothing would get an implementation pass if it couldn't be as reliable as your military issued red-dot sight or laser system, and the same goes for anything that would impede the function of the weapon when the technological portion is in a failure status. I'll add a third assumption that whatever the technology is, that it provides a significant enough benefit to justify more stuff/weight on the weapon.

Basically I'm trying to steer the conversation away in advance from "I don't want things on my rifle that can break/make the weapon inoperable/weigh an extra 5lbs."

Peregrino
12-10-2015, 22:35
You need to define "smart gun feature". Given what the left is pushing as "smart" technology there's a lot of negative perception associated with the terms. As for me - the only smart feature required with any weapon is a competent, responsible operator.

Mycroft
12-10-2015, 23:19
You need to define "smart gun feature". Given what the left is pushing as "smart" technology there's a lot of negative perception associated with the terms. As for me - the only smart feature required with any weapon is a competent, responsible operator.

As an example, a red-dot is the most basic of smart-gun technology we see, and in its more advanced iteration (though not combat ready and still a novelty at this point) is the TrackingPoint series of guns: http://tracking-point.com/

As for what the liberal establishment wants, (some pie in the sky DNA background check that sends an email to law enforcement whenever a gun is picked up, or some other such insanity) well, I'm running with the assumption that no one here wants that. I didn't post this in liberal-topia, I'm looking at ideas that make guns more effective, not less.

miclo18d
12-11-2015, 05:12
As an example, a red-dot is the most basic of smart-gun technology we see, and in its more advanced iteration (though not combat ready and still a novelty at this point) is the TrackingPoint series of guns: http://tracking-point.com/

As for what the liberal establishment wants, (some pie in the sky DNA background check that sends an email to law enforcement whenever a gun is picked up, or some other such insanity) well, I'm running with the assumption that no one here wants that. I didn't post this in liberal-topia, I'm looking at ideas that make guns more effective, not less.
Track point.....hmmmm.

Personally, this is a computer aided laser rangefinder system (I'm assuming, it doesn't give you much info except that your freezer will be stocked with deer meat). Whenever you shoot something active with your weapon, you can be found. On the battle field with ISIS, this isn't a big deal. When you're on the battlefield with standing armies, it could be your life.

Are you talking "shelf ready" (available) items or "I wish I had" (wildest dreams) items?

Dusty
12-11-2015, 05:13
I'd like my gun to be smart enough to not jiggle the muzzle when the striker snaps.

JJ_BPK
12-11-2015, 06:28
I want my smart gun to hit what I aimed at,
Not what it wants to hit..

The future is bleak, I have watched Star Wars (1-25?), Predator (1-5), The Terminator(1-6)..

Not one of the "FUTURE" weapons were worth a shiite..

Look at James Tiberius Kirk fighting Gorn, star-date 3045.6,, using 9000 yo technology,,

Jim never misses.. :lifter

It is the Operator that makes the hit, not the toys.

YMMV

:D:D

Mills
01-07-2016, 21:47
None.

nousdefions
01-08-2016, 14:21
If my "smart" gun would buy it's own ammo, that would be enough for me......

The Reaper
01-08-2016, 17:32
Stabilization and target lock on.

TR

NurseTim
01-10-2016, 09:36
The gun from the movie runaway.

NO! From the fifth element zorg industries. Just don't press the red button.

TOMAHAWK9521
01-10-2016, 10:55
I want my smart gun to hit what I aimed at,
Not what it wants to hit..

The future is bleak, I have watched Star Wars (1-25?), Predator (1-5), The Terminator(1-6)..

Not one of the "FUTURE" weapons were worth a shiite..

Look at James Tiberius Kirk fighting Gorn, star-date 3045.6,, using 9000 yo technology,,

Jim never misses.. :lifter

It is the Operator that makes the hit, not the toys.

YMMV

:D:D

And don't discount the "double-fist" punch or running double-foot kick to the chest when there are no weapons.

TOMAHAWK9521
01-10-2016, 10:57
I want one that locks up any loose nut behind the trigger mechanism

Guymullins
01-10-2016, 12:49
I would like a remote zoom option for an optical sight.A slide or rocker on the fore-stock would be nice with the old turn-ring as a manual override if anything went wrong with the auto function. Coupled to that, a non-weapon mounted system, but something I would really appreciate is a set of flip-up spectacles actuated with a bite-down control where one could use prescription lenses for all-round daily wear, but flip them up and out of the way to enable one to shoot naked eye when needed. The present system I use of spotting the target while wearing spectacles, then exchanging them for binoculars, dropping both in the dirt when raising the rife to shoot is both irritating and comical for any onlookers.It also buggers up the eye-wear.

ccrn
01-10-2016, 18:57
One that would vibrate when tyrannical, ant-citizen rights, elitists who never served or stuck their necks out for someone besides themselves were within effective range....

Sdiver
01-10-2016, 19:25
One that makes a GOOD Bacon sammich ....

PRB
01-10-2016, 19:49
I'd like a smart gun with a sense of humor....you know, you pull your piece and it says something like...."So Punk, do you feel lucky today".....or "Smile, wait for the flash".
That would be nice.

Guymullins
01-10-2016, 22:00
I'd like a smart gun with a sense of humor....you know, you pull your piece and it says something like...."So Punk, do you feel lucky today".....or "Smile, wait for the flash".
That would be nice.

Or a little red flag that pops out of the barrel with "BANG" printed on it, for warning shots?

CAARNG 68W
01-10-2016, 23:29
None.

:D

frostfire
01-13-2016, 08:33
I would like to see as much "smart features" that infuse more science over the art of precision shooting. We already have cant, angle indicator etc.
With the magnetic and miniaturization technology maturing by the day, I want to see a chronograph-embedded in the barrel so you can see just how consistent your trajectory should be.

Another one is a temperature indicator of the breech. Once a critical temperature gradient is calculated, it should not be too hard to embed a color indicators by the barrel i.e. red: remove round, yellow: still take the shot, green: feuer frei!

Neither should all zillion lbs to the platform.

Basically, the technology that tells whether it's the loose nut behind the trigger....but we already know the answer of that :D
In all seriousness, there is a time to call a bad weapon. I had my shot call consistently off during a match once and I kept blaming myself for fundamentals. At the end of the stage, the RO pointed out to me that my rear sight was shifted all the way off center :(

I want to know what smart features Todd Hodnett would like to see and we'll go with his suggestion!

Barbarian
01-13-2016, 11:01
A display, which could be seen from cheek weld, that showed remaining ammo count, might be nice. Not necessary, but while we're wishing.....

trunkmonkey
01-14-2016, 07:32
One that would vibrate when tyrannical, ant-citizen rights, elitists who never served or stuck their necks out for someone besides themselves were within effective range....

How would you ever shoot with your rifle buzzing around all the time?

Laser wind reader, stabilized barrels (like the fancy new camcorders) and no loss of muzzle velocity or accuracy out of a SBR