PDA

View Full Version : B-52 still going strong after 60 years

mojaveman
12-06-2015, 00:40
Grew up just a few miles from March AFB in California when it was still an active SAC facility complete with B-52 Bomber Wing. They were impressive.

...the B-52 is expected to keep flying until at least 2040.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/after-60-years-b-52-bombers-slow-rusty-and-frighteningly-effective/

Marlboro
12-06-2015, 01:13
Amazing, but it terrifies me we're still flying them.

Divemaster
12-06-2015, 02:33
I was kid living on Andersen AFB, Guam during Linebacker II. My friends and I used to watch the BUFFs take off loaded with bombs in the under wing racks, come back from the missions empty. We learned to tell the different models apart based on the tail profiles.

My father was a Security Police officer and the NCO in charge of flight line security. He used to take me out there to see the aircraft up close whenever I wanted.

CDRODA396
12-06-2015, 06:09
My father was a Radar-Navigator in the Big Ugly Fat Fucker, BUFF as it is nicknamed, for twenty years. Six tours over Vietnam. Still remember living just off of the end of the runway at Pease AFB New Hampshire and watching B-52's take off almost right over the house, every two minutes, for what seemed like forever when they would hold Operational Readiness Inspections (ORI's, basically DRF 1 callouts for Air Force Wings). Amazing aircraft, built in the day when Americans still had pride in the their work and country.

Sdiver
12-06-2015, 09:20
Hey, if it WORKS, why FIX IT ???

That's why I was saddened when the services got rid of the HH-53s and replaced them with Ospreys. :(

Sohei
12-06-2015, 09:25
I love those birds. They have rained down some serious pain from on high during their lifetime.

I wish them longer life!

Marlboro
12-06-2015, 09:30
They can't handle any decent SAM systems and honestly neither can our current aircraft.