PDA

View Full Version : Oxidative Stress: we all have it

BigRod163
11-22-2015, 22:27
You are slowly dying of oxidative stress. Free radicals are bombarding your cells millions of times per second, tearing them down. We know this effect as "aging". Physical training compounds this fact even further. Athletes/soldiers rely on a pristine diet to combat the effects of oxidative stress, but a good diet may not be enough. Until now...*que transitional music*

www.abcnewsreport.com

If you are interested to learn more, PM me.

full cooler
11-23-2015, 06:16
What ya sellin' on your first post Big Rod?

Dusty
11-23-2015, 06:22
lol Team Sergeant has a special place in his heart for springbutt snake oil salesmen.

The Reaper
11-23-2015, 15:15
You are slowly dying of oxidative stress. Free radicals are bombarding your cells millions of times per second, tearing them down. We know this effect as "aging". Physical training compounds this fact even further. Athletes/soldiers rely on a pristine diet to combat the effects of oxidative stress, but a good diet may not be enough. Until now...*que transitional music*

www.abcnewsreport.com

Here we go......:rolleyes:

TR

Red Flag 1
11-23-2015, 16:03
There is this: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm331258.htm, to think about.

And another opinion: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/brief-update-protandim/.

x SF med
11-23-2015, 16:09
Is he Will Brink's cousin or something?

BigRod163
11-23-2015, 16:26
What ya sellin' on your first post Big Rod?

No selling, I assure you. Just educating.

BigRod163
11-23-2015, 16:47
There is this: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm331258.htm, to think about.

And another opinion: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/brief-update-protandim/.

That was three years ago. No business or product is perfect, things happen. It was taken care of. Protandim® has 6 patents and 2 international patents as well as dozens of peer-reviewed articles and third party independently funded research that all support that Protandim**® will lower your oxidative-stress by 40% in 30 days guaranteed. These are the facts, so I can't speak for nay-sayers.

Now, I understand. In this day and age we are bombarded with advertisements left and right promising us the world but always failing to deliver. So anytime someone presents us with new technology our guards are immediately up. Furthermore, it's human nature to be contrary in order to sound intelligent. Someone tells you baking soda cures cancer and the first thing you'll do is look for how baking soda doesn't cure cancer. Again, I understand that.

But here's my stance. I am veteran. I just want to help people, especially veterans. I have the utmost respect and admiration for QP's. I truly believe this product could benefit soldiers and athletes alike (the Baltimore Ravens are all on it as well and many other professional athletes) which is why I posted this in the PT forum. I'm not selling anything. I'm just offering information. Do what you will.

I was extremely skeptical when I was first introduced to this but over the past few months I have personally seen lives changed, especially in veterans from nerve agent damage to PTSD. So I challenge you; keep an open mind. Do some research, look up personal testimonies. Don't immediately look for someone trashing it because I promise it's out there. You have to look for the "proof in the pudding". Logically there are only two possibilities: it either works or it doesn't. So you have to ask yourself; what if it works?

My heart was to only help those of you who could benefit from this. If the admins feel this needs to be taken down then it should be. I was just here to present some information.

PedOncoDoc
11-23-2015, 17:13
That was three years ago. No business or product is perfect, things happen. It was taken care of. Protandim® has 6 patents and 2 international patents as well as dozens of peer-reviewed articles and third party independently funded research that all support that Protandim**® will lower your oxidative-stress by 40% in 30 days guaranteed. These are the facts, so I can't speak for nay-sayers.

Where are these publications and reports on the randomized, placebo-controlled trials? A search of PubMed for Protandim (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=protandim) shows next to nothing, and even less in high-impact scientific journals.

Logically there are only two possibilities: it either works or it doesn't.

There's always option three: it's harmful.

I'm always skeptical of the motives of someone when they claim to have no skin in the game, yet feel compelled to put a trademark sign next to the brand name of anything, particularly some new thing being marketed as medicine but labeled as a dietary supplement.

My $.02.....YMMV

ETA: I have to assume this is your Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/prdespaigne) - from what is publicly available it certainly looks like you're trying to sell something....

VVVV
11-23-2015, 17:21
Bourbon NOT Pills is way to go!

Red Flag 1
11-23-2015, 18:52
This product just isn't there yet, and probably will be not the fountian of youth it alludes to be. The clinical work done falls well short of being anything the FDA is going to consider. For that reason it is marketed as a dietary suppliment. The FDA is taken out of the picture, and the company publishes it's own study results. This takes the published "tests and studies" into the advertizment/marketing arena.

I agree with PedOncoDoc regarding the worries regarding potential harm. Because nothing about harm has been said, does not mean it is harmless. The Facebook page does seem to push Protandim.

My $.02.

x SF med
11-24-2015, 10:07
Ok... in your first post here.... you said that physical training is killing us? And you are sure your snake oil will save us, we'll all BE HEALED by your miraculous concoction - yet, there is no mention of FDA approval nor of hard scientific evidence in peer reviewed medical journals to support your claims. Sorry, I'll side with the doctors here, as I was but a lowly SF Medic, more proof is needed that this elixir of youth and vigor is the panacea you claim it to be.

SouthernDZ
11-24-2015, 10:34
Bourbon NOT Pills is way to go!

I used to agree, go American, now I understand Jim Beam was sold to China (high treason):eek:

PedOncoDoc
11-24-2015, 10:39
I used to agree, go American, now I understand Jim Beam was sold to China (high treason):eek:

Nah...that was a cheap Chinese knockoff with high levels of lead in it. :D

VVVV
11-24-2015, 11:30

Beam was sold to Suntory a Japanese conglomerate.

Team Sergeant
11-24-2015, 11:38

www.abcnewsreport.com

Col. Aaron Bank, 101, Dies; Was 'Father of Special Forces

Two mistakes, one you didn't do enough research and two you mentioned athletes with warriors.

Spare us your "education".

Red Flag 1
11-24-2015, 13:27
Nah...that was a cheap Chinese knockoff with high levels of lead in it. :D

Back in the days the Romans ruled, lead content in food stuffs was very high. They liked the added flavor, and that was all that was important. The hand made pottery drinking cups, dishes and cooking pans all had high lead content.

Flagg
11-24-2015, 15:20
Col. Aaron Bank, 101, Dies; Was 'Father of Special Forces

Two mistakes, one you didn't do enough research and two you mentioned athletes with warriors.

Spare us your "education".

I met a few US Army fellas a few years back(including one former Ranger REGT/SF 18D) who are MDs/PAs now(both in private practice and still part time in Gang Green).

They had some really neat stuff to say about proactive/assertive self-care and health-care(they focused on helping people to live healthier rather than reacting to illness often stemming from poor lifestyle choices).

They also were moving into the Stem Cell space. That sounded really cool, but quickly went over my head.

In short, there seems to be a lot of cool stuff going on out there, but I've noticed two things:

1)Finding the wheat from the chaff can be a challenge, thankfully there's some pre-vetting that helps narrow down the research

2)Like SF stuff, healthcare and selfcare seems to be all about the fundamentals. And the fundamentals don't seem to change radically, just refine a bit over time.

Not to sound morbid or Frankenstein-y, but I'm hoping DARPA or some other big brain outfit has DNA samples of folks like Col Bank and other positive outlier human beings to see what we can learn from it.

Those US fellas I met were not only a great bunch of fellas to have a few beers with, but left me thinking the potential for human performance has only been scratched.

Hopefully it helps stem(cell) the tide of idiocracy someday.

All I know is I hope the weird green smoothies my better half has me drinking daily actually work and aren't a joke at my daily expense......a microbrew breakfast beer would certainly taste better. :)

Dusty
11-24-2015, 15:48
I met a few US Army fellas a few years back(including one former Ranger REGT/SF 18D) who are MDs/PAs now(both in private practice and still part time in Gang Green).

They had some really neat stuff to say about proactive/assertive self-care and health-care(they focused on helping people to live healthier rather than reacting to illness often stemming from poor lifestyle choices).

They also were moving into the Stem Cell space. That sounded really cool, but quickly went over my head.

In short, there seems to be a lot of cool stuff going on out there, but I've noticed two things:

1)Finding the wheat from the chaff can be a challenge, thankfully there's some pre-vetting that helps narrow down the research

2)Like SF stuff, healthcare and selfcare seems to be all about the fundamentals. And the fundamentals don't seem to change radically, just refine a bit over time.

Not to sound morbid or Frankenstein-y, but I'm hoping DARPA or some other big brain outfit has DNA samples of folks like Col Bank and other positive outlier human beings to see what we can learn from it.

Those US fellas I met were not only a great bunch of fellas to have a few beers with, but left me thinking the potential for human performance has only been scratched.

Hopefully it helps stem(cell) the tide of idiocracy someday.

All I know is I hope the weird green smoothies my better half has me drinking daily actually work and aren't a joke at my daily expense......a microbrew breakfast beer would certainly taste better. :)

Leafy green stuff works.
My Cope was green at one time...

x SF med
11-25-2015, 09:40
Leafy green stuff works.
My Cope was green at one time...

How did it taste on a salad though? It is a good de-wormer.

SouthernDZ
11-25-2015, 15:13
Beam was sold to Suntory a Japanese conglomerate.

Jim Beam-San :D

Dusty
11-25-2015, 15:54
How did it taste on a salad though? It is a good de-wormer.

Just another benefit.
It's also a good buzz and it repels womenfolk. Repulses womenfolk, I should say...

VVVV
11-25-2015, 23:44
Jim Beam-San :D

I'm sipping some Old Grand Dad 114 ( a Beam product ) right now and it's all American...no Nippon influence at all.:munchin

Flagg
11-26-2015, 00:05
Just had an American gang green fella visit and went our for a few gentlemanly beverages.

He turned me onto something called Monkey Shoulder.

Nice drop that.

If it kills me quicker, so be it. I reckon it's worth it.

PedOncoDoc
11-26-2015, 08:50
What happened to BigRod??? :munchin

On another note, Old Granddad is good stuff at a good price - I've lately been on a Maker's Mark 46 and 1792 kick for my bourbons, and there's a distillery 15 minutes from my new AO that puts out some pretty good stuff.

x SF med
11-26-2015, 09:03

On another note, Old Granddad is good stuff at a good price - I've lately been on a Maker's Mark 46 and 1792 kick for my bourbons, and there's a distillery 15 minutes from my new AO that puts out some pretty good stuff.

You need to see if you can get Neversweat, from Missoula MT.... you will enjoy it, and OOLA from the Palouse area of WA...

Red Flag 1
11-26-2015, 16:05

Bushmills, I just can't help myself when it comes to this Irish Whiskey. It is said, that God himself invented Bushmills to keep the Irish from running the world;).

Flagg
11-26-2015, 16:56
Bushmills, I just can't help myself when it comes to this Irish Whiskey. It is said, that God himself invented Bushmills to keep the Irish from running the world;).

Ever try the Bushmills 400th anniversary stuff?

I saw it in the airport a couple times and was a dumbass walking past it.

Quite cheap then, harder to come by now.

VVVV
11-26-2015, 21:08
Tonight I'm relieving my oxidative stress with some Booker's 2015-1 Barrel Proof (128.7 proof).....another great bourbon from Beam-Suntory! ;)

PedOncoDoc
11-27-2015, 08:46
Should we ask the admins to merge this with the whiskey thread? :D

PedOncoDoc
11-27-2015, 08:52

I've always preferred Jameson to Bushmills when it comes to Irish whiskeys.

The word "whiskey" comes from the old Gaelic "uisge beatha" which translates to "water of life".

It's been my go-to drink when paying respects to the dead, celebrating births, marriages, anniversaries, or days ending in "y". ;)

x SF med
11-27-2015, 10:06
The word "whiskey" comes from the old Gaelic "uisge beatha" which translates to "water of life".

Show off. :rolleyes:

Jameson's Black Barrel, 'nuff said.

Red Flag 1
11-27-2015, 11:22
Ever try the Bushmills 400th anniversary stuff?

I saw it in the airport a couple times and was a dumbass walking past it.

Quite cheap then, harder to come by now.

I've had varities of Bushmills when in England, and visits to Ireland. I've not had much luck finding anything but the good ole' primary Bushmills, CONUS. The Jameson's bottling looks better that the Bushmills offering, but I'll take the later everytime. Duty free shopping for some things is a good thing;).

VVVV
11-27-2015, 11:29
At 80 proof it's watered-down "water-of-life"!:D

Red Flag 1
11-27-2015, 11:36

It's been my go-to drink when paying respects to the dead, celebrating births, marriages, anniversaries, or days ending in "y". ;)

To this day, the Gaelic still believe in, and pay attention to it's "water of life". My favorite places in the wotrld, are Irish pubs, with peat burning in the fire place, Guinness and/or Bushmills, and the love of the Irish Pub Darts matches, and for singing after around 1900.

When living in Europe, bottled water was always assumed when one asked for,"A glass of water". The serving staff would simply ask, With gas, or without gas"; with gas meaning carbonation. We had a German couple over for diner one evening. He was a Poilzi Chopper Pilot, and his wife was a teacher. We had water on the table, and the pilot asked about the water, which brand of bottled water. We said it was tap water, and the guy physically recoiled from the glass. Tap water was not to be trusted, ever. We opened some Perrier for them and all got back to normal.

Flagg
11-27-2015, 23:23
I've had varities of Bushmills when in England, and visits to Ireland. I've not had much luck finding anything but the good ole' primary Bushmills, CONUS. The Jameson's bottling looks better that the Bushmills offering, but I'll take the later everytime. Duty free shopping for some things is a good thing;).

Agreed!

mark46th
12-17-2015, 08:41
The latest on living longer...

www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Science › Science News

Guymullins
12-17-2015, 09:55

The Jameson people are pleasantly un-precious about their tipple. At the distillery, they offer a choice of mixer. Water or Ginger Ale and I must admit the Ginger Ale is quite tasty.

PedOncoDoc
12-17-2015, 10:12
The Jameson people are pleasantly un-precious about their tipple. At the distillery, they offer a choice of mixer. Water or Ginger Ale and I must admit the Ginger Ale is quite tasty.

Ginger ale is a wonderful mixer if you can find one that is strong and not too sweet. Growing up in and near Michigan, I've always been fond of Vernors as a mixer - particularly with rum or whiskey.

Guymullins
12-17-2015, 11:36
Ginger ale is a wonderful mixer if you can find one that is strong and not too sweet. Growing up in and near Michigan, I've always been fond of Vernors as a mixer - particularly with rum or whiskey.

Exactly. In SA we get a few types but the best are Schwepps or Canada Dry, if you can find it.

PedOncoDoc
12-17-2015, 12:00
Exactly. In SA we get a few types but the best are Schwepps or Canada Dry, if you can find it.

Those are too sweet without enough ginger. I do love Schweppes bitter lemon and gin, however.

Razor
12-17-2015, 14:42
Make your own ginger beer--water, grated ginger, sugar to taste and yeast + a cleaned out 2L soda bottle (with appropriate pressure release cap openings) + a couple days = ginger mixer with your desired level of sweetness.

I got tired (and too cheap) of buying Gosling's at the local liquor store.

SouthernDZ
12-17-2015, 15:47
All this talk of alcohol and mixers, I had to go back to the beginning and see what this thread was about, "Athletes & Soldiers relying on a pristine diet to combat the effects of oxidative stress."

Hilarious how we drifted off azimuth here! :D

x SF med
12-21-2015, 14:43

Find Bundaberg Ginger Beer, you'll like it. Plus it goes extremely well with Appleton's Black Molasses Cask Strength Rum (if you can find it in your area).

PedOncoDoc
12-21-2015, 17:14
Find Bundaberg Ginger Beer, you'll like it. Plus it goes extremely well with Appleton's Black Molasses Cask Strength Rum (if you can find it in your area).

Bundaberg was available at the local Costco and was good stuff. Strong ginger ale/ginger beer with rum tastes like cream soda and goes down way too easily for its own good.

Flagg
12-21-2015, 17:17

Heck.....when I was in SA all I drank was "cane and orange" and the odd glass of red wine to go with all the meat we shot.

That cane and orange hit the spot quite nicely.

Guymullins
12-21-2015, 17:28
Heck.....when I was in SA all I drank was "cane and orange" and the odd glass of red wine to go with all the meat we shot.

That cane and orange hit the spot quite nicely.
You were shooting with gentlemen Flagg. The reprobates tipple of choice is Klipdrift (Klippies) and Coke. A not very good brandy that inspires confidence even in the meekest people. Hence the Afrikaans saying, Bradewyn het nie brieke nie or Brandy has no brakes.

x SF med
12-22-2015, 15:47
Bundaberg was available at the local Costco and was good stuff. Strong ginger ale/ginger beer with rum tastes like cream soda and goes down way too easily for its own good.

Thus the Appleton's Black Molasses Cask Strength Rum (almost as heavy as a good Gunpowder Rum) - the ginger flavor blends very well without taking the true rum flavor out, you will NOT mistake it for anything else, in sailing circles it's sometimes called a Dark and Stormy.