PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Discussion

Roguish Lawyer
11-07-2015, 18:13
I am interested in people's thoughts on best practices. :munchin

Let's kick this off with a discussion about how to carry concealed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. :munchin

PSM
11-07-2015, 18:47

Let's kick this off with a discussion about how to carry concealed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. :munchin

What are you going to carry? I carry my wife's .38 Spl in a Remora holster. My .45 would leave me rather embarrassed. ;)

ETA: This is with elastic/drawstring shorts. With shorts that would allow a belt, I'd stay with my .45 and Crossbreed holster.

Pat

Roguish Lawyer
11-07-2015, 19:35
What are you going to carry? I carry my wife's .38 Spl in a Remora holster. My .45 would leave me rather embarrassed. ;)

ETA: This is with elastic/drawstring shorts. With shorts that would allow a belt, I'd stay with my .45 and Crossbreed holster.

Pat

This isn't about me, particularly since I live in a place where carry is prohibited. However, if hypothetically I were to carry, it would be an H&K .40 USP in a Kramer IWB leather holster. :D

Roguish Lawyer
11-07-2015, 19:37
Another carry situation of interest to me, hypothetically only, of course, is the normal "business casual" trousers, with a tucked-in long sleeve dress shirt and belt.

Redwood
11-07-2015, 20:22

For the past six months or so, I've started carrying appendix style in a kydex holster made by Bladetech. Now that I have learned how to carry in this position, I don't think I will ever go back to carrying any other way.

In the past, I carried slightly behind my right hip, at the 4-5 o'clock position.

From the appendix position, my draw is faster and cleaner, I have better access to the gun in the majority of situations, and I find that it conceals better in almost all clothing, including when wearing a simple normal fitting t-shirt and shorts.

I spend much of my time in the hot and humid South, so even during winter, I am wearing shorts and t-shirts rather often.

I have a relatively athletic build. I am 5'10 and approximately 180 lbs. When I am wearing lighter clothes, I typically carry a S&W M&P Shield (9mm) and when I am able to put on layers, I usually cary my Glock 19.

Unless a t-shirt is tightly fitted, I find that I barely print. Even with the Glock, in the appendix position, one would have to be at the right angle and know what to look for in order to spot any outline.

Just my two cents.

Redwood
11-07-2015, 20:33
Another carry situation of interest to me, hypothetically only, of course, is the normal "business casual" trousers, with a tucked-in long sleeve dress shirt and belt.

If you are going to be carrying with a tucked in shirt or without a belt/solid pant's waist, you may want to checkout a bellyband style holster. I have this one from Crossbreed: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/ProductViewer/tabid/113/slug/Modular-Belly-Band/Default.aspx

It isn't very effective if I am just carrying with a pair of gym shorts because the elastic is not strong enough to keep the gun pressed to my body securely, but your mileage may vary.

For those situations, I think a belly band style holster without a separate kydex holster would work better (however, I have no personal experience with any other types of belly band holsters).

The Crossbreed does work quite well for dressier situations when I need to tuck in my shirt.

PSM
11-07-2015, 20:40

Well of course, that goes without saying. ;)

My .45 is an HK USP Compact and I have the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Since I got it, I've never had to tuck in my shirt, so I'm not sure how or how well it works. Love the holster, though. I honestly forget that I have it on even without a belt on jeans. And I wear t-shirts all the time. You just have to move it around and find the "sweet spot".

A member on here, Golf1Echo, visited recently and I'm not sure if he noticed that I was carrying or not. I couldn't tell if he was.

Pat

The Reaper
11-07-2015, 22:30
Pocket carry.

TR

Guymullins
11-08-2015, 00:05
While not being the best, I carry a Colt Cobra snubbie in my pocket . If I am going to be somewhere where more firepower may be needed, my Star PD .45 goes into one pocket and a couple of spare mags in the other. While driving, either one is between my legs pointing rearwards.

MtnGoat
11-08-2015, 01:18
IN Shorts, I like cargo shorts, middle of the back of right hip with a T-shirt. To be fair, you really should change up what you carry for what you are dressed in.

In Shorts I would like a hammerless 38 special snub nose revolvers, effective and very concealable IMO. .38 with new loads and bullet types you get an effective bullet for self defense.

JJ_BPK
11-08-2015, 08:05
Pocket carry.

TR

1)NAA 22mag, 8oz, 5rd, SS so it is somewhat impervious to salt water & sweat, not the most potent, but very concealable in sport shorts or bathers..

2)If you have a little more room, S&W Ti series. Mine is the 342 Ti, 38+P, 13 oz, 5rd.

3)Cargo shorts, SIG P938, 9MM, 18oz, 8rd, Pocket carry OR get a Techna-clip

This is assuming you are not doing "bags", like belly or butt or sling..

The S&W 342 fits in the sunglasses case.. The SIG is only slightly larger.

craigepo
11-08-2015, 08:53
I presently have a 9mm and a .380. However, after the last couple of weeks, and dealing with some rather unsavory characters, I am thinking seriously about getting a license to carry a very short shotgun, probably in a briefcase. Not something that I would want to mess with every day though

miclo18d
11-08-2015, 14:23
Let's kick this off with a discussion about how to carry concealed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.

Standard Florida carry, if you ask me.

I carry full sized FNS-9, IWB, on my side.. In shorts, with a t-shirt, and Keens (I hate flops). I wear my T-shirts XL... Loose

Florida also has no law against printing, so if it sticks out a bit... It's just my "cell phone". YMMV

Rob_Frey
11-08-2015, 16:46
I am using a Glock Model 43 9mm in a DeSantis Nemesis holster to pocket carry in the warmer weather when a coat would be obvious. I know some people hate Glocks, but I have never had a problem with mine.

Razor
11-08-2015, 22:48
For the past six months or so, I've started carrying appendix style in a kydex holster made by Bladetech. Now that I have learned how to carry in this position, I don't think I will ever go back to carrying any other way.

Have you pressure tested this technique by trying to draw when you're fighting off a close-in attacker and are bent at the waist, or do you only practice drawing when you're standing upright?

Redwood
11-08-2015, 23:53
Have you pressure tested this technique by trying to draw when you're fighting off a close-in attacker and are bent at the waist, or do you only practice drawing when you're standing upright?

Razor, solid point. That's one of the drawbacks to carrying appendix style and I have not tested that draw you described, but I am sure it would be extremely difficult.

I'll try to replicate that position as closely as possible with an inert firearm and see how it goes.

I have trained and and gotten much better drawing from positions on my back and in seated positions (car, chair, etc)-- appendix seems to shine in this regard and I find it telegraphs less movement.

I'd say every carry positions has its weaknesses and strengths. Just like an appendix draw would be hindered by trying to draw while bent at the waist, side carry, small of back, and other positions have their Achillies' heel as well. So far, this is what I feel most comfortable with. What do you prefer?

SittingElf
11-09-2015, 00:50
Mine's a Glock 26 in a Kydex in-waistband at 4-5 o'clock position. Carried chambered with HST 147gr +P

Backup in the SUV is a Browning Pro-40 ready in the center compartment.

Spend time on the range regularly practicing left-hand shirt lift and draw to position.

frostfire
11-09-2015, 02:35
I have much success with minimalist holster like Raven concealment with shorts and t-shirt. I've worn it during leadslinging class, competition, and while lifting and jogging. No hth though.

Also had success with desantis sheepskin ankle holster. Takes zillion times practice but finally got it down to <2 sec to "bang" Unless you're paying close attention, I look like someone who's about to duck and run

frostfire
11-09-2015, 02:37
I presently have a 9mm and a .380. However, after the last couple of weeks, and dealing with some rather unsavory characters, I am thinking seriously about getting a license to carry a very short shotgun, probably in a briefcase. Not something that I would want to mess with every day though

class III shotgun?

Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) :D ? Same legality as a pistol, several times more lethal

What about the Judge?

JJ_BPK
11-09-2015, 05:10
Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) :D ?

Like this one, w/folding spike bayo?? :lifter

Dusty
11-09-2015, 07:52
I made the mistake of carrying for self-defense but training for competition up until about 4.5 years ago.
Started training with my carry stuff, and was surprised at how slow, awkward and inaccurate I was shooting common SD scenarios such as from a seated position or lying down, weak hand draw and fire, low-light/no-light, etc.
I wear glasses, and the first time I simulated a reaction to an intruder from lying down with no glasses on and in the dark, I was embarrassed at my ineptitude.
Training for likely events sounds like a lot of trouble, and it is. Especially reloading with my strong hand immoblilized, but I figure I've got more of a chance getting in a situation like that because of Mr. Murphy than I do having a chance to employ textbook CQB technique in ideal conditions.

craigepo
11-09-2015, 11:56
class III shotgun?

Wouldn't you rather carry the PMPDW (AK pistol) :D ? Same legality as a pistol, several times more lethal

What about the Judge?

I have a Governor (which my wife shot through the wall with---.410 rounds are hell on sheetrock---long funny story). But, its a pain to carry, and I just really like and trust a 12 gauge. Did I mention I make a lot of people mad?

Damn pistols just don't hit very hard.

Guymullins
11-09-2015, 13:05
We drive on the left of the road here. A hangover of the British Empire. This puts right handed shooters at a disadvantage as your gun hand is restricted in mobility because it is against the drivers door. Consequently, both my personal vehicles were Left Hand Drives, which makes day to day driving a bit of a trial, but your gun hand is free to shoot in almost any direction. LHD vehicles have now been banned and my latest is the horrible RHD, so overtaking is less of a trial, but shooting is strangled.

Red Flag 1
11-09-2015, 15:06
I pocket carry a .32cal Revolver, x 2"b. You will never know I have it. I also have a .38 cal with and articulated hammer, and 2 1/4" b. It is heavier than the .32 cal, and is really not that good as a pocket weapon. I have a shoulder rig for the .38, but to be honest, I do not like the .38 cal all that much, and generally have it holstered and in my vehicle.

The bulk of the time I carry a Glock 17. I carry it in a Safariland Paddle rig that carries rather high. I can carry it under a Tee shirt with no problems at all. The only thing I need is a belt in my trousers or shorts. I've been doing this for a couple of decades now, and it is well concealed.

Dusty
11-10-2015, 06:31
You will automatically revert to your latest training, regardless of the weapon.

Dean Jarvis
11-10-2015, 07:23
Pocket carry.TR

Porter Rockwell, the Avenging Angel carried his in his pocket.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=porter+rockwell+guns&qpvt=Porter+Rockwell+Guns&qpvt=Porter+Rockwell+Guns&FORM=IGRE
The Salt Lake Tribune cast the deaths of over a hundred men into the hands Porter Rockwell, but without a detailed accounting. James Coates, the author of In Mormon Circles, pegs the number a little lower, at fifty to one hundred.

Worked for him :lifter

frostfire
11-11-2015, 12:47
I pocket carry a .32cal Revolver, x 2"b. You will never know I have it. I also have a .38 cal with and articulated hammer, and 2 1/4" b. It is heavier than the .32 cal, and is really not that good as a pocket weapon. I have a shoulder rig for the .38, but to be honest, I do not like the .38 cal all that much, and generally have it holstered and in my vehicle.

The bulk of the time I carry a Glock 17. I carry it in a Safariland Paddle rig that carries rather high. I can carry it under a Tee shirt with no problems at all. The only thing I need is a belt in my trousers or shorts. I've been doing this for a couple of decades now, and it is well concealed.

you must be rather...errr....uh, well-built. That's right, well built! :D

I used to carry G17 until I noticed the funny looks and uninvited groping. IMHO, if you own friends can tell you carry, it's fail already. Also found out the full size long barrel slows down clearing the waist/belt during quick draw. The G26 cleared quickest at .69

Like this one, w/folding spike bayo?? :lifter

yeeech, there's tacticool then there's tacti-K....k for karazy or tacticum-bersome

Combat Diver
11-12-2015, 02:43
I run with a Smith 442 in a older Bianchi Belly Band under my PT shorts. If wearing sweats can still strip on a IWB holster, gun belt under the draw strings.

CD

Dusty
11-12-2015, 04:27
I run with a Smith 442 in a older Bianchi Belly Band under my PT shorts. If wearing sweats can still strip on a IWB holster, gun belt under the draw strings.

CD

I've had a couple of 442's. Love 'em. Handy.
Shot some gigantic Buffalo Bore ammo through my wife's on day. Might as well have been shootin' a .357.
Took me 2 hours of scrubbing to get that bore clean, though...

MtnGoat
11-12-2015, 05:19
I'm looking at one of these Urban Carry Total Concealment Holster

This seems like a good t-shirt and cargo/walking shorts holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM

Dusty
11-12-2015, 05:30
I'm looking at one of these Urban Carry Total Concealment Holster

This seems like a good t-shirt and cargo/walking shorts holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM

Like it. That's truly concealed.

Guymullins
11-12-2015, 06:04
Like it. That's truly concealed.

Nice, except the necessity of using both hands to draw.

Dusty
11-12-2015, 06:19
Nice, except the necessity of using both hands to draw.

You could do it in two stages one-handed. It'd be good for when you absolutely have to tuck in your shirttail...

Guymullins
11-12-2015, 06:41
You could do it in two stages one-handed. It'd be good for when you absolutely have to tuck in your shirttail...

Certainly better than hooking the bloody hammer inside your pocket while shooting yourself through the honeymoon tackle.

The Reaper
11-12-2015, 18:02

TR

Guymullins
11-12-2015, 21:49

TR

Yip, I have wanted one for years. Cant find any here so I settled for a Cobra instead.
That hammer spur is a pain but at least one can shoot single action with it. My double-action accuracy with a snubby is laughable, and I get one extra shot over the S&W.

Dusty
11-13-2015, 07:14
Yip, I have wanted one for years. Cant find any here so I settled for a Cobra instead.
That hammer spur is a pain but at least one can shoot single action with it. My double-action accuracy with a snubby is laughable, and I get one extra shot over the S&W.

I carried a 442 for a while. I dry-fired that thing 3400 times, if I remember right, and if felt like the firing mechanism was greased.
I gave it to Mrs. Dusty, but she just could not hit anything with it...

Guymullins
11-13-2015, 07:27
I carried a 442 for a while. I dry-fired that thing 3400 times, if I remember right, and if felt like the firing mechanism was greased.

Mrs Dusty has my sympathies. She could try throwing it. I have much better results that way.

Dusty
11-13-2015, 12:50
Mrs Dusty has my sympathies. She could try throwing it. I have much better results that way.

lol Still ineffective, as she throws like a girl.

Sdiver
11-13-2015, 13:11

That seems to be a running theme in the 'Dusty' household .... Oh DEER !!!! :eek:

:D

Dusty
11-13-2015, 14:17
That seems to be a running theme in the 'Dusty' household .... Oh DEER !!!! :eek:

:D

lol You have a great memory for a Hollywood treehugger...

MR2
11-15-2015, 18:07

XDs .45 in Pocket; Shorts, t-shirt, sandals.

PSM
11-15-2015, 18:17
XDs .45 in Pocket; Shorts, t-shirt, sandals.

Kind of sagging on your right there. ;)

Water bed?

Pat

MR2
11-15-2015, 19:00
varicocele's...

PSM
11-15-2015, 19:18
varicocele's...

The sag or waterbed? :D

ETA: No knock on waterbeds. I slept on one for roughly 45 years until we moved here. We can't risk the power to heat it, now. It was really fun in the Landers and Northridge quakes! :D

Pat

Dusty
11-16-2015, 05:32
IMO, the best combo for shorts and tee shirt would be a Shield in a leather (Taqua, etc.) appendix holster with a spare mag in a Desantis pocket carrier.
(Dry-fire the Shield about a million times to get the trigger half-way decent.)
Those Kydex holsters are rough if you're driving or sitting-they don't give.
You can get to a pistol in your truck with an AWB; hard to do in a pocket.
Don't be like Spanky and carry it small-of-the-back...

Team Sergeant
11-16-2015, 08:45
IMO, the best combo for shorts and tee shirt would be a Shield in a leather (Taqua, etc.) appendix holster with a spare mag in a Desantis pocket carrier.
(Dry-fire the Shield about a million times to get the trigger half-way decent.)
Those Kydex holsters are rough if you're driving or sitting-they don't give.
You can get to a pistol in your truck with an AWB; hard to do in a pocket.
Don't be like Spanky and carry it small-of-the-back...

Agree 100% Kydex holsters are a no-go for a number of reasons.

Roguish Lawyer
12-03-2015, 16:53

Just got me one. :)