PDA

View Full Version : "Green Beret" Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr., Albuquerque, NM AMWAY GLOBAL

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 10:32
Special Forces Green Beret Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr., Sandia Mountains, Albuquerque, NM AMWAY GLOBAL

Hi Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr. !

Someone sent me your legendary write up for this magazine:

http://www.achievemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/LA3911B_v2i2.pdf

Whatever It Takes

Ray works out in the Sandia Mountains, high above his home in Albuquerque. Ray Barrera IBO since 1989 | Emerald Courage doesn’t come from a lack of fear. “Courage is overcoming the fear. Controlling it.”

That’s the philosophy of Ray Barrera Jr., retired Army Special Forces Captain. Ray entered the Army in 1966. That year, more than 6,000 Americans were killed in Vietnam, with 30,000 more wounded. After joining the Army Special Forces Unit in 1968, he quickly worked his way up to the rank of Captain. “I knew what Special Forces was – America’s best,” Ray says. “I wanted to be so well trained that I’d have no excuse if something ever happened on my watch.”

In early 1969, his training was put to the test. An Air Force pilot had been captured near the Vietnam-Thailand border. Under cover of darkness, Ray and his crew rappelled from a helicopter, caught up with their target, and completed the rescue, saving the pilot’s life. Near the end of the war, in August 1972, Ray and his team were preparing for a highly skilled strategic mission designed to streamline the exit of U.S. troops from Vietnam.

To train for the precision HALO (high-altitude, low-opening) jump, Ray led a 2 a.m. practice jump out of a jet aircraft at Ft. Bliss, Texas. With no moon in the sky, it was incredibly dark. But Ray noticed that one of his men was starting to perspire and looked uncomfortable. The young non-commissioned officer was new to the unit, so Ray swapped gear with him. After taking the soldier’s heavier pack for himself, Ray neglected to double-check it. He was the last to jump out of the plane.

He thought he heard his main parachute open, but something was wrong. Instead of catching the wind, he started tumbling in a free-fall. “What I thought was the opening shot of my main parachute was actually my main parachute being shredded by the jet blast of the aircraft,” Ray says. “I went to pull my riser to check the main parachute and that’s when I realized it was gone.” With every second critical, Ray jettisoned his equipment and activated his reserve chute. It malfunctioned. “It wasn’t like what some people think. My life didn’t flash before my eyes,” Ray says. “I just thought, this is serious, and oh man, this is going to hurt.” Ray hit a sand dune on impact. “The Lord had his hand on me.

I bounced, but my body didn’t even move. My first thought was I’m dead and I can see myself,” Ray remembers. Many hours later, surgeons worked to repair his battered body. He woke up in a full body cast. Walking normally again was unlikely, his physician said. But Ray defied the grim prognosis and conquered his fear once again.

After a year of intensive physical therapy, he was back in command … and back to jumping out of planes. After leaving the military, Ray again defied the odds, earning three karate world championship titles. He eventually started a chain of martial arts schools called Karate One International.

In 1989, the idea to start an AMWAY GLOBAL business was his wife Rexanne’s, with Ray reluctantly tagging along. But now he credits the mentorship of Jim and Nancy Dornan with giving his life an incredible focus. Today, Ray sees parallels between his death-defying experiences in the military and building an AMWAY GLOBAL business. His drive to conquer fear is embedded in everything he does. Maybe that’s why Ray named his AMWAY GLOBAL business The WIT Group … whatever it takes.

Seems you Sir, are a hero! A real legend!

But something is amiss, from your records you never left the United States?

And not one Vietnam Campaign medal?

Oh and I noticed "no" Military Freefall extension course on your records either? And that Captain rank, well, Cpt in the Salvation Army maybe?

Ray Ray, I didn't put you in with the frauds yet, but soon buddy, soon.
Team Sergeant

PSM
11-05-2015, 10:40
Want photos: http://www.clsinternational.net/2014_wc.html http://www.clsinternational.net/pdf/2014_WC_Ray_Barrera_Achieve.pdf

Pat

Richard
11-05-2015, 10:49
I guess that 'feet-@$$-head' landing on that sand dune permanently messed up the head space and timing in ol' Ray's brain housing group if he expects anybody with any military knowledge to believe that fairy tale. :rolleyes:

What a macaroon.

Richard

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 10:49
There "was" only three ways to "earn" a Green Beret during his time:

Pass the Special Forces Qualification Course (extremely tough and hard to do!)

OJT in Vietnam, only a handful did this but I'm told it was done.

Take the Special Forces Officer Extension Course (all books). And no worries of that dreaded Special Forces Qualification Course! It's what we call a "Paper Tab". (I'm sure the Spartans had the same thing back in the day.......:rolleyes:)

"Green Beret" Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr never attended the Special Forces Qualification Course. He also never attended the Military Free Fall Course.

Old Dog New Trick
11-05-2015, 10:51
Vietnam and Thailand shared a border back then...damn!

I knew I should studied geography better in high school. :D

Dusty
11-05-2015, 11:32
Cue Jaws theme...

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 12:09
"Green Beret" Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr., Albuquerque, NM AMWAY GLOBAL

Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr. you been telling these kids stories too? You own Karate One International? Are you a graduate of the Bill Hillar School of Fraud?

http://karate-1-international.org/

Karate One International

10301 Comanche Rd NE

Albuquerque, NM 87111

505-292-0255

Hours of operation:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 3 PM to 7 PM

Tuesday, Thursday - 3 PM to 8 PM

Saturday - 10 AM to 1 PM

JJ_BPK
11-05-2015, 12:15
Give the poor man some slack,,

He tells all of his "problem"

"I coudn't have done all this without the AMWAY GLOBAL products".

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 12:19
This might be the first "real" green beret I place in the fraud section!

(If you wish to call his Special Forces service real.......)

Enjoy your new fame Ray Ray, you've earned it.

You are a liar and a fraud and soon you will be among your fraud peers.

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 12:23
https://www.facebook.com/ray.barrera.50

Go and say hello to Ray!!!! Please tell him I said hello! (I don't use FB, twitter, etc.)

TS

CSB
11-05-2015, 12:49
Near the end of the war, in August 1972, Ray and his team
were preparing for a highly skilled strategic mission designed
to streamline the exit of U.S. troops from Vietnam. To train
for the precision HALO (high-altitude, low-opening) jump,
Ray led a 2 a.m. practice jump out of a jet aircraft at
Ft. Bliss, Texas.

With no moon in the sky, it was incredibly dark. But Ray
noticed that one of his men was starting to perspire and
looked uncomfortable. The young non-commissioned officer
was new to the unit, so Ray swapped gear with him. After
taking the soldier’s heavier pack for himself, Ray neglected
to double-check it. He was the last to jump out of the plane.
He thought he heard his main parachute open, but something
was wrong. Instead of catching the wind, he started tumbling in
a free-fall.

“What I thought was the opening shot of my main parachute
was actually my main parachute being shredded by the jet blast
of the aircraft,” Ray says. “I went to pull my riser to check the
main parachute and that’s when I realized it was gone.”
With every second critical, Ray jettisoned his equipment and
activated his reserve chute. It malfunctioned.
“It wasn’t like what some people think. My life didn’t flash
before my eyes,” Ray says. “I just thought, this is serious, and
oh man, this is going to hurt.”

Ray hit a sand dune on impact.

“The Lord had his hand on me. I bounced, but my body didn’t
even move. My first thought was I’m dead and I can see
myself,” Ray remembers.

Many hours later, surgeons worked to repair his battered body.
He woke up in a full body cast. Walking normally again was
unlikely, his physician said. But Ray defied the grim prognosis
and conquered his fear once again. After a year of intensive
physical therapy, he was back in command … and back to
jumping out of planes.

Of course, I'm waiting to read the FOIA, but to practice for a HALO in Viet Nam by making a static line jump at Fort Bliss...
... isn't that special.

SF_BHT
11-05-2015, 15:00
"Green Beret" Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr., Albuquerque, NM AMWAY GLOBAL

Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr. you been telling these kids stories too? You own Karate One International? Are you a graduate of the Bill Hillar School of Fraud?

http://karate-1-international.org/

Karate One International

10301 Comanche Rd NE

Albuquerque, NM 87111

505-292-0255

Hours of operation:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 3 PM to 7 PM

Tuesday, Thursday - 3 PM to 8 PM

Saturday - 10 AM to 1 PM

I drive past that location a few times a week. Might need to stop in and watch a class or two.....:eek:

Old Dog New Trick
11-05-2015, 15:32
Of course, I'm waiting to read the FOIA, but to practice for a HALO in Viet Nam by making a static line jump at Fort Bliss...
... isn't that special.

I never "shredded" my chute on jet blast. Not even a static line jump. Must a been from an F117 or a "Hot Air Balloon." :cool:

PRB
11-05-2015, 15:52
I never "shredded" my chute on jet blast. Not even a static line jump. Must a been from an F117 or a "Hot Air Balloon." :cool:

He has a really strong door exit!

Team Sergeant
11-05-2015, 17:48
He has a really strong door exit!

I was guessing he jumped "up"......:rolleyes:

head
11-05-2015, 18:11
"Heavier pack"? A ruck sack? The parachute? Both? What needed to be checked?

I'm more confused about what was swapped and with whom than a blind man at a swingers convention.

SittingElf
11-05-2015, 22:21
Never miss an opportunity to promote your business and encourage your downline.....

(More from another article on Barrera....)

Ray shared that he believes the Lord has given him 120 years to live, so he’d better take care of his body and his second chance at life. He said he “takes all of the NUTRILITE “ line and encourages others to not be timid when trying new products. “My body was pretty messed up from the crash. About 15 years ago I started walking with a limp – I didn’t notice it, one of the guys at the gym mentioned it. I decided right then that I was going to do “whatever it takes” to keep my body strong and healthy with my supplements, and today I’m still winning competitions against “kids” in their 20’s.”

Interesting that he's happy with the Japanese title "Shihan", but calls his Dojo a "gym".:rolleyes:

A comparison.....

Pic of "hero" Barrera with his Spouse vs. a similar pic of my good friend and former co-pilot "Vandy" with HIS wife. Day and night. I'll take the latter, thanks.....

SittingElf,
No more pictures of spouses unless they want their picture on here. They are considered innocent bystanders and not to be caught in our crossfire.

Team Sergeant

Guymullins
11-06-2015, 05:17
There "was" only three ways to "earn" a Green Beret during his time:

Pass the Special Forces Qualification Course (extremely tough and hard to do!)

OJT in Vietnam, only a handful did this but I'm told it was done.

Take the Special Forces Officer Extension Course (all books). And no worries of that dreaded Special Forces Qualification Course! It's what we call a "Paper Tab". (I'm sure the Spartans had the same thing back in the day.......:rolleyes:)

"Green Beret" Ray (Paper Tab) Barrera Jr never attended the Special Forces Qualification Course. He also never attended the Military Free Fall Course.

I suppose never having attended the Military Free Fall Course explains the double malfunction.

miclo18d
11-06-2015, 06:08
I know I've taken some flak on this in the past, but I keep seeing the pattern that many of these posers take the martial arts path and think that Green Beenie = martial arts expert. I have nothing against martial arts and yes many SF guys do martial arts. I'm not trying to flame them, however, I have read too many poser bios not to ignore it! I've dabled in some stuff enough to get myself in trouble, but MY martial art is GunFu aka Ching Ching Pau.

I have the same pattern analysis with firemen and arsonists/wannabe heroes. Too many one offs for just a few bad apples.

Anyway, I have no doubt that this guy is a fraud. Even if he is paper tabbed, people in glass houses shouldn't go around throwing cinder blocks bringing attention to themselves. Too bad for him, I'd bet that San Antonio has a few retired GBs living there. How embarrassing it would be to be called out at your convention.

Pic of "hero" Barrera with his Spouse vs. a similar pic of my good friend and former co-pilot "Vandy" with HIS wife. Day and night. I'll take the latter, thanks.....

And a question for your friend Vandy would be why he is wearing an SF crest on his beret when he should have his WO4 rank there instead?

Richard
11-06-2015, 07:46
This guy had a decent USAR background with a bonafide Airborne Jumpmaster Ranger SF Infantry resume' at a time when it wasn't so popular to be in the military.

Why these guys feel the need to inflate their resume's like this I'll never fully understand, but his 'reputation' is now gone forever. I wonder how being proven a liar is gonna fare for him out there in the martial arts world.

Richard

UWOA (RIP)
11-06-2015, 09:40
I know I've taken some flak on this in the past, but I keep seeing the pattern that many of these posers take the martial arts path and think that Green Beenie = martial arts expert. I have nothing against martial arts and yes many SF guys do martial arts. I'm not trying to flame them, however, I have read too many poser bios not to ignore it! I've dabled in some stuff enough to get myself in trouble, but MY martial art is GunFu aka Ching Ching Pau.

I have the same pattern analysis with firemen and arsonists/wannabe heroes. Too many one offs for just a few bad apples.

Anyway, I have no doubt that this guy is a fraud. Even if he is paper tabbed, people in glass houses shouldn't go around throwing cinder blocks bringing attention to themselves. Too bad for him, I'd bet that San Antonio has a few retired GBs living there. How embarrassing it would be to be called out at your convention.

And a question for your friend Vandy would be why he is wearing an SF crest on his beret when he should have his WO4 rank there instead?

Be nice now .... I studied Isshinryu karate for twenty-five years (my Sensei was the defensive tactics instructor for the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and, God help me, a former marine [nonetheless, I'd die for the guy]). That said, I've always worn a white belt (color belts are an American invention because this side of the pond we have to know our 'rank') because I've never been caught in that crap -- thank my instructor/sensei. Nevertheless, on one occasion I've even out-pointed a Go Dan ... surprised the hell out of him ... his response was, "You're no white belt!" My sensei was off to the side laughing his ass off.

Beware of sheep in wolf's clothing. Nah!

Team Sergeant
11-06-2015, 10:09
Be nice now .... I studied Isshinryu karate for twenty-five years (my Sensei was the defensive tactics instructor for the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and, God help me, a former marine [nonetheless, I'd die for the guy]). That said, I've always worn a white belt (color belts are an American invention because this side of the pond we have to know our 'rank') because I've never been caught in that crap -- thank my instructor/sensei. Nevertheless, on one occasion I've even out-pointed a Go Dan ... surprised the hell out of him ... his response was, "You're no white belt!" My sensei was off to the side laughing his ass off.

Beware of sheep in wolf's clothing. Nah!

I'll see your 25 years of Isshinryu karate and raise you my 25 years of Ging Ging Bang training..... :munchin

UWOA (RIP)
11-06-2015, 10:20
I'll see your 25 years of Isshinryu karate and raise you my 25 years of Ging Ging Bang training..... :munchin

Hey Top, I'm sneaky so you're style may not always work. LOL! Look behind you!

VVVV
11-06-2015, 10:21
Never miss an opportunity to promote your business and encourage your downline.....

(More from another article on Barrera....)

Interesting that he's happy with the Japanese title "Shihan", but calls his Dojo a "gym".:rolleyes:

A comparison.....

A Warrant Officer wearing a DUI on his beret flash:confused:

Team Sergeant
11-06-2015, 10:35
A Warrant Officer wearing a DUI on his beret flash:confused:

We're getting off track, I removed the pictures because of the privacy concerns.