PDA

View Full Version : Burris Optics

Brush Okie
10-12-2015, 21:24
I have this old old Burris scope. I bought it used in 1989 or so. Long story short it quit working and when I tried finding mechanical zero the turrets came out. Off to Burris it went. I got it back today fixed they replaced the old turrets with new ones. Their warranty is as advertised. They also refurbished it a bit. The old numbers on the parallax adjustment were well worn off as well as all the other writing. Well they took a few extra minutes to repaint those. A small thing I know but it was not part of the warranty but a nice touch.

We all like to bich about bad service but I thought I would put out the good word for these folks on their warranty dept.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2015, 07:16
And I bet you still have a rotary phone, don't you.....;)

Guymullins
10-13-2015, 07:45
My dear old Weaver K4 has finally given up the ghost. It served me and my boys well on an old Tikka 30-06. It lost focus and we don't have a Weaver agent here anymore.
I got the rifle with scope about 30 years ago when a great American, Dave Barr http://www.davebarr.com worked at a used gun exchange after losing his legs in a landline explosion while serving in my unit. I had asked Dave to look out for a good rifle for me and after some months, he called to say he had a bargain.
The Tikka has proven to be a tack-driver, even with the antiquated K4 scope and has killed almost all the plains game species on the sub-continent. It now sports a Tasco that was replaced by a Leupold on the Remington .375 H&H.

craigepo
10-13-2015, 09:05
My dear old Weaver K4 has finally given up the ghost. It served me and my boys well on an old Tikka 30-06. It lost focus and we don't have a Weaver agent here anymore.
I got the rifle with scope about 30 years ago when a great American, Dave Barr http://www.davebarr.com worked at a used gun exchange after losing his legs in a landline explosion while serving in my unit. I had asked Dave to look out for a good rifle for me and after some months, he called to say he had a bargain.
The Tikka has proven to be a tack-driver, even with the antiquated K4 scope and has killed almost all the plains game species on the sub-continent. It now sports a Tasco that was replaced by a Leupold on the Remington .375 H&H.

You're hunting in Africa with Tasco and Burris scopes?

Brush Okie
10-13-2015, 09:16
And I bet you still have a rotary phone, don't you.....;)

Nothing that fancy. I have a hand crank phone. Next week we are getting a toilet inside the house.

Guymullins
10-13-2015, 10:01
You're hunting in Africa with Tasco and Burris scopes?

You seem surprised Craig? Burris is not very well known, but I have seen a few of those laser rangefinder scopes in the field.(Also seen a few missed opportunities because the shooter was messing around with the coffee-maker or whatever extra feature it has instead of taking a quick shot.)
Tasco was a very popular scope but fell off a bit when far eastern scopes didn't live up to the original quality. When I first got my Remington .375H&H it had a Redfield wide scope on it. I gave it away because I couldn't get the eye-relief satisfactory for me. There was nothing wrong with the Redfield though. Nowadays we see a lot of Nightforce and Leopold scopes out there.
I personally think that the very high end scopes like Swarovski and Zeiss are a bit of a waste of money here. All that expensive low-light coating to the lenses is not needed here. Our winter hunting is always bright blue sky and swift nightfalls. This is nothing like the European and American winter light that needs all the help it can get. Most of our hunting is bush veld at ranges seldom greater than 200yds. Its only Karoo hunting where you may shoot as far as 350yds at small springbuck so the big scopes are really not needed.

mark46th
10-13-2015, 10:11
I guess we all have an old scope that served us well. Mine is an old Bushnell Sportview 4-12X40. I had it on my Browning M1885 in .22-250 for 20 years. Last year a friend of mine bought a Howa .308 that I put it on. It still works great... I have a 10 year old Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on my M70 in .270 that I have never had to re-zero.

Guymullins
10-13-2015, 10:26
I guess we all have an old scope that served us well. Mine is an old Bushnell Sportview 4-12X40. I had it on my Browning M1885 in .22-250 for 20 years. Last year a friend of mine bought a Howa .308 that I put it on. It still works great... I have a 10 year old Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on my M70 in .270 that I have never had to re-zero.

Nikon cameras have such a giant reputation here but the scopes for some reason have not become terribly popular. I have no idea why. One high-end scope that impresses is the Khales. I used one on our South African version of the Barret .50BMG, the Truvello and it was a very nice scope. Long eye relief, wide view and very clear optics that can take a pounding.

mark46th
10-13-2015, 11:57
My son has the same Nikon Buckmaster on his .300 Winmag, we bought the rifles and scopes at the same time. Same result for him. He took a wild pig at 302 yards with it at dusk. Pretty good scope for $179.00.

Guymullins
10-13-2015, 14:09
My son has the same Nikon Buckmaster on his .300 Winmag, we bought the rifles and scopes at the same time. Same result for him. He took a wild pig at 302 yards with it at dusk. Pretty good scope for $179.00.

That Nikon would cost three times that here. That may be why they are not as popular as the value scopes. The Minox brand looks quite good value.

Bleed Green
10-13-2015, 20:32
Nothing that fancy. I have a hand crank phone. Next week we are getting a toilet inside the house.

And I thought Karl Malone had it bad for still using a flip phone.:D

Leozinho
10-14-2015, 15:58
You seem surprised Craig? Burris is not very well known, but I have seen a few of those laser rangefinder scopes in the field.(Also seen a few missed opportunities because the shooter was messing around with the coffee-maker or whatever extra feature it has instead of taking a quick shot.)
Tasco was a very popular scope but fell off a bit when far eastern scopes didn't live up to the original quality. When I first got my Remington .375H&H it had a Redfield wide scope on it. I gave it away because I couldn't get the eye-relief satisfactory for me. There was nothing wrong with the Redfield though. Nowadays we see a lot of Nightforce and Leopold scopes out there.
I personally think that the very high end scopes like Swarovski and Zeiss are a bit of a waste of money here. All that expensive low-light coating to the lenses is not needed here. Our winter hunting is always bright blue sky and swift nightfalls. This is nothing like the European and American winter light that needs all the help it can get. Most of our hunting is bush veld at ranges seldom greater than 200yds. Its only Karoo hunting where you may shoot as far as 350yds at small springbuck so the big scopes are really not needed.

It's not so much a question of optical clarity, but rather reliability, or lack thereof. Also, hunting in Africa is often a trip of a lifetime for an American and no cheap endeavor, so we'd hate to miss a trophy because we had a $150 Tasco scope wouldn't hold a zero (I would guess fogging up or freezing isn't an issue.)

Burris, however, now makes some very nice scopes these days and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Tasco, imho. It's best scope tops out at $1,250 and is considered a good value.

Guymullins
10-14-2015, 22:32
It's not so much a question of optical clarity, but rather reliability, or lack thereof. Also, hunting in Africa is often a trip of a lifetime for an American and no cheap endeavor, so we'd hate to miss a trophy because we had a $150 Tasco scope wouldn't hold a zero (I would guess fogging up or freezing isn't an issue.)

Burris, however, now makes some very nice scopes these days and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Tasco, imho. It's best scope tops out at $1,250 and is considered a good value.

I have the highest regard for the Tasco I now have on the 30-06. It served well on the .375 H&H for many years. Granted, it is a simple 4X scope with no zoom or any fancy features.

Brush Okie
10-14-2015, 23:25
Burris bang for buck is a pretty good scope. They use metal for their turret gears (many use plastic) and the optics are actually pretty clear. They also hold together pretty well. I have put this one through hell and it has done good. It is a target scope with very fine cross hairs. To replace it would be money I would rather not spend at the moment.

Guymullins
10-15-2015, 04:17
Burris bang for buck is a pretty good scope. They use metal for their turret gears (many use plastic) and the optics are actually pretty clear. They also hold together pretty well. I have put this one through hell and it has done good. It is a target scope with very fine cross hairs. To replace it would be money I would rather not spend at the moment.

I am also of the school; that says, if you have spare money, spend it on doing the job, not on equipment to do the job. Buy adequate gear to do the job and spend the rest of your efforts in getting better at doing it. Most gear nowadays is a whole bunch better than my capabilities. Most rifles are capable of much better accuracy than I can get from them, and the same goes for the scopes.
However, I came across one really big exception a few months ago. My cousin was given a new sniper scope that was intended to get the US Marine contract. It is called the Xotic USS rifle scope, and it is a complete piece of rubbish. It is huge with a 50mm lens and has all the bells and whistles but can't keep zero if you increase or decrease the zoom magnification from the one you used to zero the rifle. It looks like the Hubble on his rifle, but open sights are a much better option.

Team Sergeant
10-15-2015, 10:29
You guys are killing me. No mention of Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Kahles, Night Force or even Swarovski.

You gents sound like a bunch of writers for "Field and Stream" or some other outdoor magazine.

I'm squirming in my chair just reading what you're writing.

Here's my .02 on rifle glass. If it doesn't cost more than the rifle itself don't buy it. ;)

Burris, Tasco and Weaver are for the kids .22's and that's it!!!!!

Ok back to arguing!

mark46th
10-15-2015, 10:55
I would have said something but I thought the topic was low cost, length of service optics. My S&B is the same one used by the guys that made the 2.29 mile shot. About as good as you can get with out a 007 license.

Brush Okie
10-15-2015, 11:45
You guys are killing me. No mention of Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Kahles, Night Force or even Swarovski.

You gents sound like a bunch of writers for "Field and Stream" or some other outdoor magazine.

Here's my .02 on rifle glass. If it doesn't cost more than the rifle itself don't buy it. ;)

Ok back to arguing!

I have a tactical operations tango that I spent some money on for glass and when I can Will get even better glass for it. For my plunking and basic hunting g rifle I can't afford a khales or swavorski these days so I get what I can afford and works for the purpose. Believe it or not I e ev shoot with open sights occasionally.

BTW the Burris customer service is very good if something does go wrong. When I was shooting at a local benchrest in the mid 90's this scope did me well and later on at on a 22 target competition it also went with me. A lot of memories in that trusty old scope.

Guymullins
10-15-2015, 14:23

Ok back to arguing!

I did in fact mention all of those apart from the Schmidt und Bender. They are all bloody good scopes, but terribly expensive here, so out of most peoples budget.
I do have a Swarovski shirt if that makes any difference.

Team Sergeant
10-15-2015, 14:39
I did in fact mention all of those apart from the Schmidt und Bender. They are all bloody good scopes, but terribly expensive here, so out of most peoples budget.
I do have a Swarovski shirt if that makes any difference.

LOL, you don't think they're terribly expensive here too?

Guymullins
10-15-2015, 15:01
LOL, you don't think they're terribly expensive here too?

If I look at the prices on the net, in America firearm and associated goodies are about a third of the price for the same stuff here. American-made stuff is even cheaper.
Luckily, our hunting is dirt cheap for us, apart from the Big Five which can break the bank, unless one has access to problem animal hunting.
But yeah, good glass is crazy expensive for anyone, and thats why I said the expensive coatings and nitrogen filled, non-misting features are a bit of a waste in Africa. Hell, finding water in winter is a rarity, and you won't mess it up by dropping your scope into it.

Leozinho
10-15-2015, 16:02

Ok back to arguing!

Speaking of high-end scopes...this is a pretty good read.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

This may be the definitive tactical scopes test ($1,500 and up). Author used double blind tests under controlled lighting to judge optical performance and built a nifty setup to test mechanical performance.

Team Sergeant
10-15-2015, 16:45
Speaking of high-end scopes...this is a pretty good read.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

This may be the definitive tactical scopes test ($1,500 and up). Author used double blind tests under controlled lighting to judge optical performance and built a nifty setup to test mechanical performance.

Read it and a few others. Made a purchase based off of articles like this one. Def a good read.