PDA

View Full Version : MTV extreme sports star killed in Calif. skydiving accident

Team Sergeant
09-28-2015, 21:26
I spent years on a MFF team, we used to read "Sport parachuting mags and read the obits for humor. "Cause of death, impact." "Cause of death, impact." "Cause of death, impact." "Cause of death, impact."

Then that one obit catches your attention, Cause of death, hitting a tree. :rolleyes:

I wonder if he was texting????? :munchin

MTV extreme sports star killed in Calif. skydiving accident

Published September 28, 2015
·Associated Press

SQUAW VALLEY, Calif. – An extreme sports and MTV star skydiving for the opening ceremony of a golf event in Northern California died when he struck a tree Monday, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/09/28/mtv-extreme-sports-star-killed-in-calif-skydiving-accident/?intcmp=hpbt4

PSM
09-28-2015, 21:44
Then that one obit catches your attention, Cause of death, hitting a tree. :rolleyes:

But...was the tree OK? Was a tree surgeon called? Was a tree hugger injured? :eek: It is California. ;)

Rest in peace, Erik Roner and condolences to the family. :(

Pat

PRB
09-28-2015, 22:17
Landed in the rough.....RIP

mojaveman
09-28-2015, 23:33
Being that I live near Perris Valley Skydiving Center in Perris, CA I try to stay informed on the fatalities and how they happen. Most of them aren't problems with chutes malfunctioning and not opening, they are from the jumpers executing sharp turns at very low altitude and slamming into the ground. The weirdest one was when a jumper almost landed and a small whirlwind picked him up and collapsed his canopy. He was too low for it to re-inflate and he bounced. There was also a suicide where a guy didn't pull and landed in the street a short distance from the airfield. After his wife left him he left a note as to what he was going to do.

MtnGoat
09-29-2015, 03:54
Well Roner loved his skydiving and skydiving swooping, sooner or later it will catch up with them.

When you just a chute that if you pack it even a little wrong, and the opening is wrong or "slow". The death spin happens and if you don't cut away in time, you are a lawn dart.

Love the guys that cut away and still swoop with their RESERVE!!!

Then you have a 170lbs or 180lbs guy jumping a 60 or 70 maybe a 75/85 chute.. Oh yeah that's smart.

Team Sergeant
09-29-2015, 10:16
"Stupid is as stupid does......."
F. Gump

Trust me it's not "extreme" it's STUPID. There's a lot of ways I'd like to be remembered but dying STUPID is not one of them.

Dean Jarvis
09-29-2015, 11:21
Remember two things....it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop. And always remember, when people look like ants you're ok, but when ants start looking like people, it's time to pull:eek:

Golf1echo
09-29-2015, 18:10
In one of our last material shipments there was an excerpt in the warning material that caught my eye.

Skydiving has caused deaths and injuries. In the past decade an average of 31 fatalities have been reported in the USA each year. Parachutes do not always open properly. Ram-Air parachutes have a malfunction rate of approximately 0.3%. No pull or low pull malfunctions 22%, reserve problems 11%, collisions 15%, landings 33%, and all other problems 3%. This data based on USPA reports.