PDA

View Full Version : Chicago restaurant tells SF veteran to leave ...

Sdiver
09-12-2015, 17:29
... because of his service dog.

This has been going around FB.

This restaurant needs to hear from us.

Here is their web site with contact info near the bottom ... http://www.cochonvolantchicago.com/

Sigaba
09-12-2015, 19:59
Is it wise to engage in conduct that could put jobs at risk based upon what reads on FB alone?

There are provisions in Title III of the ADA act that allow for a service animal and its owner to be asked to leave a business.

Badger52
09-13-2015, 06:24
While a facebook post is not grounds enough for a court it may be a real issue that could be adressed. Veteran or not it is illegal.Apparently it's OK nowadays to force someone to bake a wedding cake, though.
:rolleyes:

Another instance but with different outcome. (http://wgntv.com/2015/05/25/veteran-service-dog-turned-away-from-restaurant-worker-fired/)

Team Sergeant
09-13-2015, 09:14
I think this was mentioned before, but for every legit service dog there's probably 25 complete fakes/fraud service dogs.

I see them all the time in Walmart, chiwawa's with a "therapy dog" sign on them, usually seen carried by a whale......

Sdiver
09-13-2015, 10:10
Here is the most recent post from the restaurant on their FB page, which was FLOODED with negative reviews, along with multiple calls to the establishment itself.

Major Brown has also agreed to talk to a friend of mine, who is an on air newsie with WBBM Chicago.

PSM
09-13-2015, 10:41
Except for seeing-eye dogs, I think all service dogs are bogus. It's just part of the victimization of our society. Ever see a Police K-9 officer with his dog by his side in a restaurant?

Pat

Sdiver
09-13-2015, 10:51
Sorry you feel that way.

I personally think service dogs are an invaluable asset to not only those who are blind.

Different strokes I guess.

The Reaper
09-13-2015, 10:57
I have to concur, I see it being abused all of the time.

Frequently, the "service dogs" are poorly trained and undisciplined as well.

This incident may have been different. Too frequently, it is someone who just wants to bring their pet with them.

Where are my rights if I am allergic to dogs and someone comes in with one and sits right by me.

TR

BuckiBill
09-13-2015, 11:08
The individual that had this happen to him is a vetted member of another SF forum. He has posted a personal response from the manager stating that they are extremely sorry and asked he come back.

They stated they are going to have retraining for all employees inre the ADA and asked that he and his service dog return and have his meal comped.

The Person that received the reply posted it and asked that all quit bombarding Yelp, Google, and their FB page as they have corrected the mistake and took action to train the "very young and untrained newly hired" person that did this.

VVVV
09-13-2015, 16:21
Deleted Duplicate post.

VVVV
09-13-2015, 16:24
Except for seeing-eye dogs, I think all service dogs are bogus. It's just part of the victimization of our society. Ever see a Police K-9 officer with his dog by his side in a restaurant?

Pat

That's an ignorant statement. Police K-9s are not service dogs.

Sdiver
09-13-2015, 17:46
When will people learn, you don't mess with Veterans. Whether SF, SOF, or just someone who stepped up to the plate and served this nation ... we will ALWAYS have each others back, and if you wrong one of us, prepare for a 'World of Hurt' to come down upon you.

We can reach out to many different avenues to bring that 'Heat' down ...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/13/colorado-soldier-and-service-dog-turned-away-at-chicago-restaurant/

PSM
09-13-2015, 18:10
Police K-9s are not service dogs.

No they are not; they are better trained.

I'm well aware of the value of dogs. My problem is with the ADA and it's "special accommodations" provision. If a restaurant wants to let anyone in with a dog, I have no problem. If they want to exclude anyone with children, I have no problem. The market place will determine their fate.

The ADA is just another government pressure tactic to exert control. If you want to sell your house in Santa Monica, now, it has to be ADA compliant. I don't want to buy a house with 18" toilets, wheelchair ramps (and my mother-in-law was in a wheelchair all the years I knew her), or hand-holds in the bath/shower.

The third post on this thread intimated that he should sue. In the end, public pressure (the market place) won and the restaurant did the right thing. No lawsuit, not government fines, just the people with their wallets.

I'm tired of watching the wussification of this once great nation!

Pat

NurseTim
09-14-2015, 00:08
The restaurant stepped on their johnson, realized their mistake, apologized, and made the situation right. It was handled well all around, except the manager that stepped on her johnson.

Still ain't going to chi town for love nor money.

Team Sergeant
09-14-2015, 08:34
That's an ignorant statement. Police K-9s are not service dogs.

That's an ignorant statement..... of course they are service dogs, just not "therapy" dogs.

What a dog is not, is a police officer, it's just another law enforcement tool.

See if they were really "police officers" a few cops would now be in prison for murder/manslaughter.......:munchin

BuckiBill
09-14-2015, 09:13
It made the local paper. They've asked Diggs and dog back for a fully comped meal. Manager has called me twice trying to make amends and know what needs to be done to make this right.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84421574/

Team Sergeant
09-14-2015, 10:19
While I agree the service animal law is greatly abused there are also legit ones. It seems many here are making an assumption about the service dog. While it may be a bullshit dog it may be a legit one as well.

So screw the food service laws and allow service goats to enter restaurants?

I never said there wasn't legit service/therapy dogs, I am saying it is being incredibility abused.

mark46th
09-14-2015, 13:15
Some people don't even have service dogs and bring them in public places where food is sold/served. Usually women, they have little dogs that they either carry or put in bags. drives me nuts. I have 3 Westies that I will take into the feed store and Home Depot. That's it. No food stores, restaurants or any place where food is consumed or sold...

MR2
09-14-2015, 19:23
They do have service pigs as well... ;)

bluebb
09-15-2015, 00:27
They do have service pigs as well...

Hey keep quite about the 3rd and 5th Group girlfriends :munchin

Team Sergeant
09-15-2015, 12:50

LOL, uh, hey that's not funny! :D

Trapper John
09-15-2015, 14:45

Now that's funny rat there. :D

VVVV
09-15-2015, 19:44
That's an ignorant statement..... of course they are service dogs, just not "therapy" dogs.

What a dog is not, is a police officer, it's just another law enforcement tool.

See if they were really "police officers" a few cops would now be in prison for murder/manslaughter.......:munchin

No, they are not. Service dogs are trained to assist disabled persons with their daily tasks. There's also a big difference between an "therapy dog" and a ADA "service dog".

VVVV
09-15-2015, 19:54
https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Stobey
09-15-2015, 20:03
Sounds to me like "All's Well That End's Well". Hat tip to Shakespeare. :D

PSM
09-15-2015, 21:02
No, they are not. Service dogs are trained to assist disabled persons with their daily tasks. There's also a big difference between an "therapy dog" and a ADA "service dog".

Exactly. That was my point. Except for a seeing-eye dog, what can a service dog provide in a restaurant or Walmart? Do they need to open the door or turn on a light switch? And I've never seen one of those dogs in public because the owners know that they will not be needed. It's as TS and TR said, it's people like the medical marijuana folks that got a doctor to sign off on taking your dog anywhere you want that you see in public.

Therapy dogs are totally different and are extremely valuable. Two of my dogs, not certified, visited my mother-in-law's long-term care facility, regularly, and really cheered the folks up. That is different.

This thread has confused terms and missions for the dogs.

ETA: Come to think about it, the only seeing-eye dogs I've ever seen were with a young woman on the Green-Belt, in Hermosa Beach, walking near my son's elementary school. She trained them, new trainers, and, occasionally, new owners. She came there for several reasons. First, I was always there with my Akita and she wanted her trainees to come in contact with other dogs. Also, the noise of the school when it let out. Then the kids that wanted to pet the dogs. Plus, the Green Belt was a narrow park between two busy streets that each had traffic lights and crossing-guards. It was one-stop shopping for a training facility.

Pat

Dame
09-15-2015, 21:29
Service dogs provide all kinds of services which actually keep people alive. Many service dogs are trained to sense when an individual is about to have a seizure. The warnings they give do save lives.

Many veteran service dogs are taught to sense extreme stress. They can pull the veteran from an escalating situation or warn of an impending panic attack. With veteran suicides at 22/day, these dogs also save lives.

Is it abused? Hell yes. Is a therapy dog allowed in a restaurant? Hell no.

But certified service dogs are life savers.

PSM
09-15-2015, 21:51
But certified service dogs are life savers.

As are non-certified dogs. My younger sister has been a Type 1 diabetic since she was 16. She is 59 now. She has had many dogs over those years, none trainded let alone certified, and each one woke her when her blood sugar levels got dangerously low. She never took any of them shopping or to a restaurant. I'm not discounting what you said, just pointing out that some official government document or special accommodation is not needed. ;)

Pat

VVVV
09-16-2015, 15:27
No they are not; they are better trained.

I'm well aware of the value of dogs. My problem is with the ADA and it's "special accommodations" provision. If a restaurant wants to let anyone in with a dog, I have no problem. If they want to exclude anyone with children, I have no problem. The market place will determine their fate.

The ADA is just another government pressure tactic to exert control. If you want to sell your house in Santa Monica, now, it has to be ADA compliant. I don't want to buy a house with 18" toilets, wheelchair ramps (and my mother-in-law was in a wheelchair all the years I knew her), or hand-holds in the bath/shower.

The third post on this thread intimated that he should sue. In the end, public pressure (the market place) won and the restaurant did the right thing. No lawsuit, not government fines, just the people with their wallets.

I'm tired of watching the wussification of this once great nation!

Pat

I looked at ads for a number of single family homes for sale in Santa Monica, and none of them are ADA compliant???

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2820-Kansas-Ave-Santa-Monica-CA-90404/20473834_zpid/

PSM
09-16-2015, 16:04
I looked at ads for a number of single family homes for sale in Santa Monica, and none of them are ADA compliant???

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2820-Kansas-Ave-Santa-Monica-CA-90404/20473834_zpid/

It may have been on the ballot and got voted down. Hard to think someone would vote for it, but there are a lot of renters in SM.

I don't remember for sure, but I think that when Hollywood instituted rent-control, in the early '80s, it had been a ballot measure to insure it's passage since there were more voters that rented than landlords.

Pat

Leozinho
09-16-2015, 16:10
That is a violation of federal law ADA act. How bout we find the man a good lawyer.

It may be, it is it something we really want to sue over? Being told to eat brunch somewhere else?

In the off chance this restaurant is owned by a real mom and pop, do you want to drive them to bankruptcy because of what an manager or assistant manager told a vet?

edit ---------------

I wrote the above before reading the rest of the thread. Glad to see the situation appears to have been resolved.

Dame
09-16-2015, 19:14
As are non-certified dogs. My younger sister has been a Type 1 diabetic since she was 16. She is 59 now. She has had many dogs over those years, none trainded let alone certified, and each one woke her when her blood sugar levels got dangerously low. She never took any of them shopping or to a restaurant. I'm not discounting what you said, just pointing out that some official government document or special accommodation is not needed. ;)

Pat

I am very glad to hear your sister has had dogs that helped keep her blood sugar level manageable. Not needing them constantly during the day is a real blessing.

Unfortunately, not everyone can be without that warning for even an hour. In the fight to keep our veterans safe (and sane) I've run into many of these situations, once even in Harry Reid's office. (The man is an ass, through and through.) But the dog stayed. In a restaurant situation, I know of police officers dining in the restaurant who intervened. The owners are simply informed, the dog stays.

PSM
09-16-2015, 21:32
The owners are simply informed, the dog stays.

I'm not discounting what you said, just pointing out that some official government document or special accommodation is not needed.

That's what I was saying. Let the businesses decide who they want as clientele.

My sister relies on humans, and technology, far more than her dog, though. ;)

Pat