PDA

View Full Version : British actor: "What September 11th means to me."

PSM
09-12-2015, 11:10
What September 11th means to me.

September 11, 2015

Matthew Marsden

Most people can tell you where they were when the attacks on Sept 11th 2001 happened. I was checking into a hotel in London, England, about to start a press junket for a movie I had done with Michael Caine. I was on the phone while struggling through the door to my room, when the person on the other end of the call said "Matt...there has been an accident. A plane has gone into the Twin Towers in New York...I have to go". With that, he hung up. A strange silence followed. I looked up and saw, directly in front of me, Canary Wharf...at the time one of the biggest buildings in the country, It was a solitary figure, jutting out against the skyline. I immeditely went downstairs to the lobby, where people were watching the scene play out in front of them on tv, in absolute shock. I remember it like it was yesterday. Such things, one never forgets.

I had been in America the year before, training with the U.S. Army Rangers for the movie "Black Hawk Down". It was there that I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Inbetween training, I asked one of the young Rangers why he had signed up. He replied "For freedom." Now as a Brit with limited experience of America and Americans, I always thought this was almost a catchphrase....a stereotypical answer from our cousins across the pond that was mocked in British newspapers and comedy sketches. I hadnt ever thought about what it really meant if the person saying it was sincere. Having this young soldier in front of me doing that, changed things. It was real. He was real. Not some characature of an American on some tv show and more importantly, he meant it. He meant that he would fight for MY freedom, whatever the cost. Something clicked. I asked him "You would die for me, wouldnt you?". "Yes, Sir." Came the reply. My life was changed forever.

Within a year, the world was a different place. Standing in that lobby, I knew that the men that I had spent time at Fort Benning and in Morrocco with, would soon be following in the footsteps of the great men that went before them. They would be upholding the great traditions of their unit, regiment, branch of service and country, by travelling great distances and being prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for people that they would never know. For people that berated them. For people that loved them. For people that were indifferent. It didnt matter. They were fighting for what was right.

After promoting my movie, I returned to Los Angeles. I was moved to see Old Glory everywhere.It was just a magnificent illustration of patriotic defiance. The country was saying, "This is the United States. You will not break us." It was glorious.

For years I had experienced the demonization of the Union Flag in the UK, and in turn the loss of national identity that came with it, as people and politicians pushed to make flying the flag a symbol of racism. To be proud of the country was a sign of ignorance and hate for others. It had been drummed into us over years and years. They even took the British Bulldog off t-shirts. It was that silly. The Bulldog spirit was being neutered, along our freedom of speech, all in the name of political correctness. Predictably, it resulted in pushing people further apart, rather than bringing them together.

To see the Stars and Stripes flying from what seemed to be every house, car and bridge, was exactly the opposite. It was a sign of unity. All colors, creeds, religions and genders died on that day. The terrorists didnt discriminate. Neither did the people of the United States in their response. If I'm honest...my first trip back from LAX to Beverly Hills reduced me to tears. I still love that flag, and it was an emotional moment when I first put one up outside my house. The days and weeks following 9/11, the flag was a sign of unity. It helped bring people together in the most difficult of moments.

The American public's response to 9/11 nudged me on to find out how, and why, this country is the greatest in the world. It is also a reminder that freedom isnt free. I never take that for granted. Ever. God Bless America.

Link: http://www.matthewmarsden.com/#!What-September-11th-means-to-me/cyh4/55f31a540cf24af6ea3991ab

It's always gratifying to find someone outside the borders that gets it!

Pat

Old Dog New Trick
09-12-2015, 12:10
That's nice.

I'll bet he doesn't get a lot of drink offers in Hollywood, but with an attitude like that he's earned one from me...Cheers!

PRB
09-12-2015, 12:51
What meeting a young soldier can do to someone.
It is what all of us retired farts miss so much.

MR2
09-12-2015, 20:30
What meeting a young soldier can do to someone.
It is what all of us retired farts miss so much.

Amen.