PDA

View Full Version : Lowfat cheescake

brewmonkey
12-29-2004, 20:54
3 packages (8oz each) of fat free cream cheese, don't skimp get the Philly.
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs (I use egg beaters or Egglands Best)
2 TBS corn starch
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup reduced fat sour cream

Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, cornstarch & vanilla. Add sour cream and mix well.

Pour batter into crust (see below) and bake at 325F until set but still slightly soft in the center, 45-50 minutes. Turn overn off; cool in oven with door ajar for 3 hours. Put in fridge overnight.

Piecrust-

Take 1.25 cups of graham crakers, I prefer the lowfat cinnamon for this.
2 TBS sugar
3TBS margarine melted
1-2 TBS honey

crush the crackers, I like to use my cuisanart and then add all the ingredients and work it in adding just enough honey to hold it all together. Press the "dough" in to the spring form (8 or 9") coming about 1/2" or so up the side. Bake for 8 minutes or so at 350F.

This is a really good and believe it or not very "rich" for something missing all the fat. If you cut it in to about 12 pieces it will come out to about 225 calories a piece. If you use the egg beaters it is lower.

brewmonkey
12-29-2004, 21:01
A twist on this would be to make it as cupcakes. Using a cupcake pan and using the foil type cupcake wrappers you can place a Nilla wafer in the bottom of each and then fill it about 2/3's with batter and bake. Cut the baking time to about 15-20 minutes and check a few with a toothpick to determine if done.

I also wanted to add that with the spring form pans if you can find a roasting pan your will fit inside and a wire rack you can put water in the roasting pan and then place the springform on the rack in the pan (keep it out of the water). This will help prevent the top of the cake from splitting apart from dehydration and give you that silky cheesecake look.

A good topping if you are so inclined is pie filling types of fruit like cherries. If you can get them I like to use strawberries. I puree about 1/3 of the package as the topping, adding a touch of sugar to cut the bitterness and then top each piece with a few whole strawberries.

Goggles Pizano
01-03-2005, 14:54
Hey Brew does the use of reduced fat sour cream take away from the taste in your opinion? I can only use the real stuff on potatos, nachos, etc which is why I ask.

Kyobanim
01-03-2005, 19:04
Isn't lowfat cheesecake an oxymoron?

Goggles Pizano
01-03-2005, 19:52
Touche' :D

brewmonkey
01-03-2005, 21:08
Hey Brew does the use of reduced fat sour cream take away from the taste in your opinion? I can only use the real stuff on potatos, nachos, etc which is why I ask.

Not at all. Being a NY'er this is a pretty good knock off.

I see your avatar and all I hear is "Mushy mushy mushy..."

As for the oxymoron...

Some of us have to suffer the lowfat life.

Goggles Pizano
01-04-2005, 08:09
Not at all. Being a NY'er this is a pretty good knock off.

I see your avatar and all I hear is "Mushy mushy mushy..."

That happened to be my favorite episode. How about this one; "Has anybody seen my legs?", or "Harris take these down to the lab for testing...NOT THAT WAY!" Classic.