PDA

View Full Version : How much does political leadership affect the job?

tpoole
09-04-2015, 20:50
There are certain former first lady's that I really would not like to serve under. How much of an impact does something like a change of president have on special forces teams? How much impact does a shift of power in congress have? Any insight is appreciated.

If I should put this in the political section please let me know and I will move it.

Pete
09-05-2015, 03:28
The POYUS sets the tone. His orders, appointed leaders like the Sec of State, etc, etc have an impact on policy and moral.

If you are oblivious to whats going on in government you probably wouldn't notice.

We noticed the jumping out of 2 1/2 ton trucks for jump training, walking back from DZ's when we did jump, no SSSC funds so no office supplies, etc, etc because of budget cuts under Carter. Got asked some hard questions while in the back country of Pakistan when the US delayed their shipment of F-16s while under Clinton.

But day to day in the Team Room - not much.

And you don't serve under the FLOTUS.

blue02hd
09-05-2015, 04:05
I can 1000% guarantee that who ever is sitting in the Oval Office, Senate Chambers, or House of Representatives will have zero impact on whether you make Selection or the Q.

Once you make it to a team you will most likely no longer care. Besides, typical SF careers span more than one or two administrations.

bailaviborita
09-05-2015, 07:08
There are certain former first lady's that I really would not like to serve under. How much of an impact does something like a change of president have on special forces teams? How much impact does a shift of power in congress have? Any insight is appreciated.

If I should put this in the political section please let me know and I will move it.

Since they guide or set foreign policy- huge indirect and sometimes direct impact on ops overseas. As others have said- depending on budgets- could affect training.

If you fill DoD with kooky radical appointees who hate men, America, and football- then you get a lot of institutional craziness. The current group seems to hate the Marine Corps...

sinjefe
09-05-2015, 07:10
POTUS sets the tone. I have no evidence to support this but, I believe that they (POTUS) have litmus tests for those they select for GO confirmation. That is how you end up with Shinseki, Odierno, etc. You feel it in the budget. You feel it in the moral tone. You see it in standards in schools and what is, or is not taught. What and when non judicial and judicial punishment is meted out.

tpoole
09-05-2015, 11:18
And you don't serve under the FLOTUS.

By former first lady I meant Hillary.

So it seems to me from your comments that it has more of an effect on where you are then what you are doing when you get there? Does that work as a summary?

My main concern is being told to act or not act in a way that I disagree with morally. The case of Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland is one of the reasons I ask this. When I think about the situation(I realize I know only a small subset of factors and thus have a biased response) I cannot see myself acting differently from SFC Martland.

I realize my concerns likely stem from naivety which is why I wanted to run them by the experienced men on this board.

tpoole
09-10-2015, 18:23
any reason this went silent?

Byrd
09-10-2015, 19:18
Most likely because your question was answered.

the squid
10-03-2015, 12:28
My main concern is being told to act or not act in a way that I disagree with morally. The case of Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland is one of the reasons I ask this. When I think about the situation(I realize I know only a small subset of factors and thus have a biased response) I cannot see myself acting differently from SFC Martland.

Correction: Not my lane.

MODs, feel free to delete.