PDA

View Full Version : Lost art of marksmanship

Brush Okie
08-30-2015, 17:36
I went to the range today to sight in my 30-06 bolt action. This particular range goes ot to 100 yards. The thing is there were several groups of people with AR's blazing away at a target 25 yards away. In fact I was the ONLY one with my target set at 100 yards. They were getting 4-6 in groups and all smiles thinking they did well. Mind you this was not snap shot drills they were doing no shooting off a bench. I am happy to see the younger generation get into shooting I just wish they would learn how.

frostfire
08-30-2015, 18:21
I am happy to see the younger generation get into shooting I just wish they would learn how.

or have the willingness to learn. I used to enthusiastically "spread to wealth" of knowledge. Now I just deliver excellence and let them watch. Those with the aptitude and attitude to learn would come by and ask me to evaluate what they were doing wrong. At that point I did a knowledge dump on them just like many on this board, in SOF, and in professional competitive shooting community had done to me.

Then again, if they gain pleasure and sense of machismo from making expensive noise, who are we to judge...

ps. no kidding about the lost art. At Perry I saw most of the bullseye shooter were twice my age if not more with over twice the BMI too. Had a discussion with the Marine shooting team from Hawaii that the pure marksmanship is not a youtube-worthy event. See 20 seconds of it, and you see 5 days of it. Thus, hardly any young-ins would have the attention span, let alone dedication required to excel. Well, not just the young-ins I suppose as shown by stark difference between the amount of participant in P100/NTI for pistol vs. rifle. As for me, I've discovered if you can put all rounds in 8 inch circle at 50 yards with one hand (it's called handgun afterall, not handsgun :p), when you introduce your support hand, it's like shooting benched pistol.

glebo
08-30-2015, 18:31
Did you approach them and offer some "advice"..??? Why not pass it on???

Hey, "slay and pray" is a technique...but it wastes ammo...lol

Old Dog New Trick
08-30-2015, 19:31
It warms the cockles in my heart to see "young" people on the range...blasting away.

Just stand still and return fire...:D
(If you move - you may inadvertently walk in front of a bullet)

MR2
08-30-2015, 19:47
Just stand still and return fire...:D
(If you move - you may inadvertently walk in front of a bullet)

Worked pretty much the same in Africa and Afghan I.

Though, I still would counsel adapting a good prone.

Brush Okie
08-30-2015, 20:02
Did you approach them and offer some "advice"..??? Why not pass it on???

Hey, "slay and pray" is a technique...but it wastes ammo...lol

I didn't because

a It was a few different groups of people.

b. They did not seem open to it.

c. I didn't have the time.

I have in the past help out folks when the opportunity presents its self and even taught new shooters. What struck me today is it was not one group but several.

x SF med
08-31-2015, 00:05
Imagine my joy when the range in my new hometown turned out to be a 600 yd/m rifle range... with adjacent shotgun and pistol areas. It makes me happy that I can work on longer shots/grouping. And, cost of annual membership is only $15. :D

frostfire
08-31-2015, 15:56
The thing is there were several groups of people with AR's blazing away at a target 25 yards away.

actually these are my favorite group of people. Nothing like 4 guys and gals showing up, spraying away, tons of selfie and group pics...and leaving hundreds of once-fired brass for me to reload :)

Your type on the other hand, would only shoot a few in an hour...and collect all brass to reload himself :p

Toaster
09-15-2015, 18:13
Learning and improving is not "sexy".

Bullseye pistol it's not exciting. Hi-power Service Rifle is a discipline, there's nothing "fun" about it. the reward is in having an accomplishment of a higher score.

How many people think that they need to actually shoot to get better with a firearm? (I'm excluding recoil management and training)

Learning how to dry fire from a board member here has improved my pistol marksmanship more than any other thing.

I think it boils down to; How many people are willing to apply a smidgen of discipline to themselves to make themselves a better shooter?

mojaveman
09-15-2015, 22:30
I seem to remember at one time there was a Boy Scout merit badge for marksmanship but that was a long time ago. Don't know if it's still taught.

Sdiver
09-16-2015, 00:20
I seem to remember at one time there was a Boy Scout merit badge for marksmanship but that was a long time ago. Don't know if it's still taught.

Just a quick look on line and these came up ...

Marksmanship Merit Badge; Created in 1911; Discontinued in 1966; Replaced by Rifle and Shotgun Shooting in 1966

Rifle Shooting Merit badge requirements ... http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/meritbadges/rifle-shooting-merit-badge.asp

Shotgun Shooting Merit badge requirements ... http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/meritbadges/shotgun-shooting-merit-badge.asp

2018commo
09-16-2015, 06:00

It sure is, must place three shots inside a quarter from 25 feet, seated supported.
There is also a muzzle loader option with 25, 50, and 100 yd options.
A favorite weekend for most.