PDA

View Full Version : 71st Troop Command jumps into Key West

JJ_BPK
08-25-2015, 06:57
Well done, I think?

Who is the 71st Troop Command?
Do MP units have SOD-A's??

https://www.rallypoint.com/universe?unit_id=71st-tc-71st-troop-command-austin-tx

Texas Special Operations Detachment jumps into Key West
August 24, 2015, By Maj. Robert Cowart, Special Operations Detachment - Africa, Texas Army National Guard

KEY WEST, Fla. - As the ramp opened up, the smell of salty air and humidity filled the C-130. It was almost as thick as the enthusiasm displayed by the Texas Army National Guardsmen on board. The soldiers, part of the Special Operations Detachment -- Africa (SOD-A), 71st Troop Command, conducted a long-range airborne insertion into the waters near Key West, Fla., July 24, 2015.

The exercise was a culmination of a three-year process, which executed the unit's Mission Essential Task List training; a training plan designed to take units from an untrained status, to proficient and finally to a trained status -- all leading to the unit's ability to conduct its wartime mission.

"The key focus for this weekend is the Mission Essential Task, load out and deploy," said Col. Doug O'Connell, SOD-A commander.

The SOD-A mission is to provide command and control for U.S. and coalition special operation forces within the U.S. Africa Command area of responsibility.

"Everything we have done, leading up to this weekend, are essential skills that we use on a regular basis, as we send small teams to remote locations," said Lt. Col. Tim Ochsner, SOD-A executive officer.

http://www.army.mil/article/154330/Texas_Special_Operations_Detachment_jumps_into_Key _West/?from=RSS

PRB
08-25-2015, 09:20
Must be some of the Jade Helm guys chased out of Texas by the local Patriots.

CW3SF
08-25-2015, 09:30
I think those are 20th Group guys, but i could be wrong.

I might have been wrong Once before. :D

JJ_BPK
08-25-2015, 09:34
I think those are 20th Group guys, but i could be wrong.

I might have been wrong Once before. :D

That's what I was thinking,, but the org chart does not show SF.

Team Sergeant
08-25-2015, 09:38
The exercise was a culmination of a three-year process,

Glad to see the Army has not lost it's sense of humor.......only took three years to execute this mission. :D

King Leonidas: You there, what is your profession?

Free Greek-Potter: I am a potter... sir.

King Leonidas: [points to another soldier] And you, Arcadian, what is your profession?

Free Greek-Sculptor: Sculptor, sir.

King Leonidas: Sculptor.

[turns to a third soldier]

King Leonidas: You?

Free Greek-Blacksmith: Blacksmith.

King Leonidas: [turns back shouting] SPARTANS! What is YOUR profession?

Spartans: HA-OOH! HA-OOH! HA-OOH!

Richard
08-25-2015, 11:42
71st Troop Command is the 'umbrella' org for the TXARNG of which the SOD-A is a supported element.

Guess we need to buy a program to know who the players are out there. :rolleyes:

Richard

Texas Guard opens ranks to Special Operations Detachment
Story by Capt. Adam Musil, 100th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment

AUSTIN, Texas - Continuing its mission to remain adaptable and deployable for contingency operations around the world, the Texas Army National Guard has opened its ranks to what will be one of its most diverse and unique units, Special Operations Detachment-Africa.

“It’s an exciting time for Texas Special Forces as we add the Special Operations Detachment to our [Texas National Guard] current Special Forces structure,” said Lt. Col. Doug O’Connell, SOD-A detachment commander. “The addition of the SOD-A coupled with the two SF Companies currently in place and a theater Special Forces Support Company means Texas now has the ability to support worldwide missions.”

Lt. Col. O’Connell and his staff have spent the better part of the last two years working to establish the SOD-Africa unit in the Texas Army National Guard, an organization traditionally comprised of standard infantry, artillery, and cavalry units. The new unit officially joined the ranks of the Texas Army National Guard in October 2012 and will directly support the Special Operations Command-Africa, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. When not serving on active duty, SOD-A will provide specialized capabilities to the governor and adjutant general for homeland security operations.

"The members of the SOD-A bring with them an unprecedented wealth of regional and special operations backgrounds,” said Capt. Dan Edwards, SOD-A team member. “As we close in on 100 percent strength, the civilian, academic, and special forces operational experience of our staff is quite impressive."

Despite a geographical orientation to Africa, SOD-A has the ability to deploy anywhere in the world. SOD-Africa is one of eight National Guard Special Operations Detachments, all of which currently rotate to Afghanistan to conduct Special Operations missions.
http://www.txarng.com/blog/txarng-opens-to-sod

CW3SF
08-25-2015, 14:11
Mississippi ARNG has been doing something similar for years. Sounds like TXARNG is following their lead.

Leozinho
08-26-2015, 15:16
Mississippi ARNG has been doing something similar for years. Sounds like TXARNG is following their lead.

The LTC quoted above was a company commander of C/2/20 in MS. And yes, MS has something similar.

Though these guys being Texas, it's probably 19th.

This also explains the jump Tim Kennedy posted on social media a month ago.

Beef
08-26-2015, 15:58
You guys beat me to it. Troop Commands are catch-alls for small ARNG units. Interestingly, 66th TC in MS has almost "traditionally"been commanded by the former 2/20 SFGA Bn commander.

cowboykpy
08-27-2015, 10:37
The two SF companies fall under 71st BFSB under the infantry division we have here in Texas. For some reason when they stood up SOD-A they put it under 71st Troop Command. There was some talk about moving us over to 71st TC, but it seems to have fizzled.